17086809037297000656547500638295 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240123_182538 (resized).jpg
20240123_182607 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240110_065014_Chrome (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #253 KISS shooter lane protector on Aerosmith Posted by Shapeshifter (6 years ago)

Post #575 Toybox Kickout protector pictures Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #616 Full protector set pic for Prem/LE Aerosmith Posted by Pin_Guy (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Spike and Spike 2 sudden reset fix information Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The game was ordered as a 40th birthday gift for my girlfriend

Yeh, right.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Jagged a 20mil shot on WTW today. Shot multiplier-multiball multiplier-combo shot I think. I had to get a few shots in a row to build it up. Freaking amazing! Not sure if I'll ever repeat it. I was playing ALL day. I was reading KME on tilt forums getting an 80mil shot! This game rocks!

Great to hear everyone in here still loving their AS. Couldn't resist and pulled the trigger - due early May.

What's your take on the Smart Bombs Mike? Are they random awards? Are they really useful and well integrated like AC/DC?

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I'm one of the lucky ones. She loves pinball. Plays tournaments. And has seen Aerosmith 4 times and it's one of her favorite bands. It's definitely hers!

She's a keeper.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

I noticed my Aero pro doesn't have the interlock shut off inside the coin door for the 20/50 volts, but has the plate that would engage the button switch. I called Stern tech support and the technical support guy said he thinks they did remove it why, just curious or is mine missing. I don't see any plugs or wires that would connect to the switch.

Pretty sure it's been removed since Spike.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But it's still super annoying not to have it cut power to the coils. I was working in the shooter lane with the coin door open and triggered the shooter lane switch and got smacked in the finger with the auto launcher. Ouch. Would not have happened with the cutoff.

Yep. Really annoying.

2 weeks later
#151 6 years ago

You guys who have had their AS for a while, how is the Elevator scoop hole holding up? Got a feeling this will wear significantly on the sides. The ball hits it with a fair bit of force. Even though its not completely visible, might be a good idea to put some protection on the sides. Im thinking just a couple of Cliffy's drop target protectors, one on each side, would do the trick.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Aerosmith LE owner #10 here. Pinballlife sells pin footies and leg bolt spacers that match the LE trim really nicely. Going to do my playfield posts in purple too.

Those colored spacers are a nice touch. Have you ever considered using the felt bottom footies instead (usually from a hardware store). I used to use the rubber ones but didn't like the way the machine felt - almost like glued to the floor. Felt ones give you more movement when nudging etc. Also makes it easier to move the game around for servicing etc.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The animations are OK, not great, but the do look nice and are fairly funny.

Like you I was so-so on the animations originally. They were OK, but nothing special. The more I play it the more I realize how clever they are. And really interactive.

For each song, the band is playing in a setting relevant to the song. They are always singing and playing in time to the music. But there's all sorts of other song related stuff going on.

For example in Back in the Saddle, the animation represent a country shooting gallery. Each shot on the PF you make shoots and smashes an object on the back wall - like a Sparky drawing and other stuff pinned on the walls. When you get Crank it Up in this song, the front of the shooting gallery gets lined with target ducks like in a shooting gallery. Each Crank it Up shot you get whilst in this mode shoots one of the ducks (yellow Aerosmith stand ups).

In Rats In the Cellar, at first theres only 2 rats walking around in the cellar. When you hit CIU, suddenly theyve had heaps of baby rats that are running all around the floor.

In Dude Looks Like a Lady, the back wall is lined with black silhouettes of dancing women. Each shot you hit, one of the women is revealed to be a man and now its a man dancing in that spot on the back wall. (Wonder if these guys are Stern staff??)

Pretty sure all the other songs have something similar.

Also on the left border of the LCD there is a Joker picture with a number in front of it. This is an Extra Ball mystery shot counter. One of the extra balls is awarded (lit) for "mystery" shots - they are just one of the main shots that are not lit for a mode, randomly selected. When you get to 4 or 5 EB is lit. You know youve hit one when a seemingly random coloured Joker pops in from the sides or top/bottom of the screen.

You can tell a lot of time has been spent coding this game, and its a great showcase of Spike 2. Lets hope all future games get the same thoughtful use of the LCD. Will all depend if they are give enough time to code it.

1 week later
#209 6 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Anyone replace the bottom speaker with a new sub yet? If so, what did you use and/or where did you get it? Thanks!

I replaced all 3 speakers with the Flipper Fidelity Spike 2 set.

http://flipperfidelity.com/sound/stern-spike-speaker-system-with-10-high-output-woofer.html

That's the 10" sub one, there's also an 8" sub version.

Sound is incredible! Well worth the upgrade.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I read in their product description that thir kit will wire the speakers in parallel. Might have to pass on that.

You can buy just the sub from them.

TBH I didn't realize the backbox speakers were wired in parallel. There was such an improvement I had no reason to question it I guess. Why would they do that (obviously something to do with Ohm's as per the description)?

And does Stereo make that much difference on the original setup? I never noticed it.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yeah, might do that as far as the sub goes. I think you're right, they did it to match their speakers to the amp. It might not be a big deal as the cabinet doesn't really provide great stereo seperatiom to begin with.

Just FYI, had confirmation back from FF that the speakers are in fact wired for stereo, but the website description is wrong. (If you look at the description for the other speakers its the same identical wording for the older mono setups).

To quote: "The wiring for a a spike machine is not in parallel. Each channel has discrete wiring to each back box speaker."

They're updating the website ASAP.

2 months later
#406 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I know Elevator MB is already tough to achieve, and this will add another shot before starting it, but since I have seen some people complaining that the elevator mold is over a different shot on the Premium/LE, this would be pretty cool...
When you "lock" the 3rd ball for EMB, the MB should not start at that point. The animation of the elevator going up to the third floor should still play, but then there could be another animation with Jacky saying something like "You locked 3 balls in the elevator... now shoot the elevator (on the upper playfield) to start multiball!"
Then when you shoot the the elevator shot on the upper playfield, and while the ball drops and rests in the lock, the animation of the woman getting into the elevator with Steven Tyler should play and part of the "Love in an Elevator" intro from the Pump album should be heard... "Going dowwwwn? (Steven Tyler laughing)" Then "Love in an Elevator" should kick in at the same time the catapult ejects the ball.
Just thought that would be a pretty cool and more dramatic way to start the MB.

Nice idea. That would also even up the EMB difficulty between the Pro and PreLe. And have another use for the upper pf.

#466 6 years ago

I think it's there so you can nudge the ball back into the mini pf if it doesn't go all the way around.

Another interesting thing is there's a coil on the top one way flap on the upper pf loop. So it can be open or closed. Not sure if I've ever seen it stay closed on a loop shot.

#486 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What is the deal with the hidden Jacky shots?
Am I wording that right?
I see Jacky's icon on the LCD border with a decreasing # as I play.

You hit them all to light extra-ball - once the Jacky number gets to 0. The shots are kind of random except that they are not any of the lit shots. So if the scoop is lit for something for example, it wont ever award a Jacky shot, but if its not lit, it might.

2 weeks later
#530 6 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I put in a FF set (2 speakers and sub) and the sound is incredible. I couldn't believe how much better the game sounds now.

+1

I went with the 12" sub, but I think the 10" would be enough for next time.

1 week later
#561 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Would be cool if someone knows Steven Tyler and could persuade him to add some custom quotes to this game
Custom band member quotes really add to Met and KISS.

Yeh, that would be cool. How could u not be proud to be on this game?

2 weeks later
#575 6 years ago

Cliffy's finally got the kickout protectors done.....

toyboxv2-02 (resized).JPGtoyboxv2-02 (resized).JPG

toyboxv2-04 (resized).JPGtoyboxv2-04 (resized).JPG

diamond-kickout-003 (resized).jpgdiamond-kickout-003 (resized).jpg

diamond-kickout-005 (resized).jpgdiamond-kickout-005 (resized).jpg

diamond-kickout-006 (resized).jpgdiamond-kickout-006 (resized).jpg

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Easy to fit with the upper p/f?

Fits from under the pf, so upper pf isn't an issue.

#582 6 years ago

Best thing about this protector is that it will guarantee the ball sits in the same spot every time for the kick.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I did not see the protector on the sight. Where did you get yours?

Email him direct - should be a contact on his website. If not pm me.

1 month later
#615 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This post refers to a "cliffy" protector but the pictures are of a mantis style protector, any more information on where this hole protector can be purchased?

It's a cliffy. Email him.

#617 6 years ago

That's the one. Now enjoy installing.

I seem to spend half my life installing cliffy's.

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Installing is the easy part, since I'm starting from here ...

Ha, that's cheating lol

1 week later
#654 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Probably good advice but I only have room for three games at a time so I think I'll go all out and get the Premium or LE since I don't have the room for more than one additional game right now.

Premium vs LE is just aesthetics - powder coated armour, real backglass and Borg signature is pretty much it. The backglass looks gorgeous, but definitely not worth the extra $$. If money is no object and you just want the nicest version of the game, go LE.

Otherwise Premium can be upgraded with the official Stern side rails (which look cool), and maybe the topper (which is also very cool), for less than the LE.

3 weeks later
#725 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Mine has a “ribbed” appearance too. The clear is smooth however.
My TSPP & FGY have ribbing as well but not as noticeable, likley due to having dimmer lighting & less clearcoat?
I turned the back box illumination down on Aerosmith to reduce glare & a side effect is the ribbed PF artifact is no longer visible.

I was told they reduced the clear thickness after the GB debacle, hence the woodgrain is a bit more visible. Even so, my ASle pf looks better than any Stern I've owned.

3 weeks later
#799 6 years ago

I was thinking if you got rid of the fridge completely you might be able to fit another game.

#808 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Dumb question.... I have a extra 12” klipsch sub and sub cable.
Is there a jack for a sub cable or do I need to do some wiring?

I've got the complete FF set in mine with the larger sub (10" I think). Probably overkill on the sub - the 8" would be more than enough. There's definitely an improvement - definitely better base and more detail. However, I'd imagine the improvement is not as big as on older games as the original speakers are ok.

You could probably get away with just the FF base upgrade.

#814 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think there's an auto calibration, which the feature desperately needs. It was always inconsistent on the Premium in my experience. Sometimes it works great, other times it will miss many times in a row (not counting the times it's supposed to "miss" and hit Jacky in the head).

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that there was an auto calibrate. Might have been on one of the early Stern Dead Flip streams. Mine hasn't really been a problem, and I definitely notice the auto-calibrate if it misses the first or 2nd time.

#816 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If there is an auto calibrate it must be very rough,

Yeh, I think its pretty basic and seems to start again each game. Sort of like, Ball missed reduce power, Ball missed again increase power, etc until it gets it right. It really has no way of knowing if the ball went long or short, so that all it can do until it gets it.

1 week later
#858 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Picking up an Aerosmith LE this weekend, what are the Must have changes or mods. Also i hear taking the post over by the pop bumpers is great? Any sugestions?

Cliffy's for shooter lane and inside the kicker cutout for the toybox kicker (don't think you need the outside one, but the inside one is important to ensure the ball rests in the same spot. When it wears here, it will stuff the alignment). Sub and mirrors as said above.

#860 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Oh yea, Cliffys!

Actually, just remembered the elevator scoop (under the upper PF on the LE) doesn't have a cliffy. Also the elevator shot on the upper PF needs a cliff also. Both of those cop a beating (though the elevator scoop under the upper pf you cant see). So may as well get the set.

1 month later
#953 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If you want to know how to play Aerosmith properly, listen to this 15 year old girl (and INDISC Champion) give you the tip.
rd
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-292033582/aerosmith?in=user-292033582/sets/60-second-tutorials

Nice. She makes it sound so easy.

Those shortcasts are a great idea BTW.

#1009 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Surprised to see a complaint about the right ramp, given months ago we discussed this ramp can be backhanded nearly 90% successful from RT flipper. Kiss ramp, not so much.

On the pro? No way I can do it on my PreLe.

#1018 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Cool, first try lol
» YouTube video

Hard to imagine that would make it all the way around on a Premium at 7deg. Gonna try it out again tonight. Would be awesome if it works - I find it a weird angle off the left Flipper.

#1025 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

When you hit the shot, try giving the machine a nudge forward to help the ball make it up the ramp.

Tried a number of times backhanding the right ramp on my LE, including nudging whilst doing it, and no chance. 3/4 up (and then drain) was the best I could do. This was from a trapped ball.

#1061 6 years ago

AS is just a great game full stop.

If you can afford the Premium upgrades, go for it. Sure it costs more than the Pro, but so does every Premium. The upgrades on AS Pre are as good as any Premium and better than most. Probably only AC/DC gives you more bang for your Premium buck. But even ACDC Pre doesn’t give you a big gameplay feature like playfield multipliers.

And in true Borg style, the pro is also great. So if you can’t justify the extra $, you’re still getting a game that would justify itself in any lineup.

#1070 6 years ago

The art blades look good and so do mirror blades. Flipper Fidelity speakers, kicker & shooter lane cliffy. That’s about all you need in this. Doesn’t need any aesthetic mods - so much going on already.

1 week later
#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Is there a list for how many coins (completed shots) are required for each song someplace?

Coins are different than shots/petals to complete a song. I think 3 songs are able to be completed on 1 shot and then an optional Super Shot. The rest you need to complete all shots. But the number of shots needed to complete differs for these songs (8, 10 and 12). Only Sweet Emotion doesn’t allow you to continue so you need to do it all at once.

Tilt forums has a Rulesheets here: http://tiltforums.com/search?context=topic&context_id=2499&q=Coins%20&skip_context=true

Rats in the Cellar - doesn’t require all shots – 8 Shots to complete – optional: Super Spinner
Last Child - 8 Shots to complete: Super Orbits
Walk This Way – doesn’t require all shots- 8 Shots to complete – optional: Super Ramps
Dude Look Like a Lady - 10 Shots to complete: Super Lanes
Same Old Song and Dance - 10 Shots to complete: Super Targets
Back in the Saddle – doesn’t require all shots - 8 Shots to complete – optional: Super Pops
Sweet Emotion – 12 Shots to complete: Super Scoring (timed scoring round)

Not really clear on what coins do. I think they’re not really utilized at the moment.

#1101 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Could be wrong but I think Sweet Emotion won’t even continue on the same ball. Once time is out always have to start over.

Yeh, you’re right. Badly worded.

#1104 6 years ago

Have to agree the topper is overpriced. Having said that it’s pretty cool with the colour changing LEDS that pulse in time with the music and change colour with the songs. It’s also great looking topper that fits in perfectly with the game. Kind of understated and not too over the top.

But at $500, it’s pretty hard to justify on any metric.

2 weeks later
#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Well i do try to short plunge. But theres a lot of auto plunges on this game because of the toy box. so its tough to get over there quick. And impossible for novices. So my friends playing the game or my wife was very discouraged.
I thought maybe there was a sweet spot angle to set the game up that i was missing. Im always one to shone away from (Cheating mods) But if it continues like this i may have to.

If you haven't already, close the outlanes as much as possible. I don't think the steepness will make any difference but sometimes NIB games settle down after a while.

1 month later
#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Installing cliffys on a premium (see photos for those that are curious about the ones under the upper playfield), but have a question. Did anyone install a cliffy switch protector on the switch above the lock where it appears that the upper playfield ball drops on or near? See first photo for the switch that I am talking about.

Probably a good idea, but those switch protectors sometimes get ball hangs, and a ball hang up there would be a pain. And you'll never see that area any way.

#1404 5 years ago
Quoted from Moeman65:

I installed a Cliffy on the upper right eject hole and it has only ever offset a couple of times in hundreds of games. Just shook the machine a little and the ball fell in place. Probably a small file or a Dremel tool would fix the problem but I haven't done that yet.

Are u talking about the switch cliffy?

3 weeks later
#1503 5 years ago

Such a great game. Sucks you in from the first ball. Then you hear “shoot the scoop to add a ball” for the Extra Ball call out, and you think why the f€k hasn’t this game been finished yet? Something as simple and as obvious as that.

Anyway, plenty of new staff at Stern now. Hopefully things are improving.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.75
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wentzville, MO
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.