IMG_4962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4955 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4956 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4954 (resized).jpeg
17086809037297000656547500638295 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240123_182538 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,071 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 82.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Dunno. I've seen the most horrendous code management and deployment processes at so many major game software companies firsthand over 25 years that I am extremely jaded about that kind of stuff. There's the right way and then there's the way it usually gets done. Given the two clear markers (Kiss Army Multiball appearing in AS menu, and the AS song bug that behaves exactly like the KISS one) I'm pretty sure best practices were not in force for at least part of the project.

Code was in fact terrible 25, 15, even 10 years ago. Not all of course there are always exceptions

But generally modern techniques and methodologies for developing software in a responsible manner have only really become more mainstream over the last 10 years or so, maybe only reaching wide adoption in the last 5. Unfortunately there are still way too many out there not yet leveraging these techniques.

My guess is that with stern moving to modular hardware they would have also taken it as an opportunity to properly abstract and modularize their code base... at least I sure as hell hope so.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Code was in fact terrible 25, 15, even 10 years ago. Not all of course there are always exceptions
But generally modern techniques and methodologies for developing software in a responsible manner have only really become more mainstream over the last 10 years or so, maybe only reaching wide adoption in the last 5. Unfortunately there are still way too many out there not yet leveraging these techniques.

There's been progress, but not enough has changed. There's still bad practices at many of the biggest companies currently. I've been in it for 25 years, but my firsthand experiences with bad code isn't 25 years old. It's ongoing. The gift that keeps on giving.

So, yeah, there's a chance Stern is getting their code libraries in order, but AS has some specific markers that strongly suggest it's still a Frankenstein approach.

#353 6 years ago

I finished TITA multiball today for the first time. It's a hell of a rush with 6 balls, and it's nice to have a MB that can be completed by mortals like me. I wish I'd seen the LCD when it happened. The MB was good for 157M, and I finished with 313M.

#354 6 years ago

As for next code update, what do people want? Or rather hope for....

1. More use of firebutton
2. Code the outlanes to make a sound!
3. Tweak Medley multiball as it's a bit of a grind right now.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

4. Fix extra ball animation so it stops the mode clock. Right now it chews up almost 10 seconds off the clock.
5. Fix song change bug that can happen at ball launch
6. Put software compensation on the toybox shot so it makes it work more reliably. It seems to go in waves, not just random. It will make a lot, then start missing a lot. Houdini is a much longer shot and it seemed much more accurate because of software compensation that "learned."

#356 6 years ago

What's wrong with me? I've had my pro for a while now and although fun, it isn't hitting that sweet spot for me as far as excitement goes. I do find I have a tough time hitting some shots (most right ramp and left orbit) and don't have a really good feel for how to approach the game from a points standpoint.

Any insight is appreciated as I really like the music and want to love this pin.

Darin

#357 6 years ago

4a. Skill shot: if the "backdoor" lock shot is made on the plunge, add more time (e.g. 10 seconds) to the current song.
4b. Skill shot: if the "backdoor" lock shot is made on the plunge, lock ball even if not qualified (flashing at toybox).
4c. Default to 4a, but switch to 4b if player hits the Smart button.
5. When player finishes TITA multiball, hold ball in the lock shot so player can enjoy the LCD animations.

#358 6 years ago

Here's my standard process for making any game (of any era) fun:

1. Make a list of all the things that aren't fun.
2. If the problem is the game, I fix it (if possible), or file a bug report.
3. If the problem is me, I work on my skills until it's not a problem any more.

An example of #2 is GOTLE: "VUK takes multiple attempts to get the ball up". I fixed this by tweaking my VUK.

An example of #3 is AS: "Right ramp is a bitch to make". I'll spend 3-5 games just working on that shot, until I'm dialed in.

Hope this helps!

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What's wrong with me? I've had my pro for a while now and although fun, it isn't hitting that sweet spot for me as far as excitement goes. I do find I have a tough time hitting some shots (most right ramp and left orbit) and don't have a really good feel for how to approach the game from a points standpoint.
Any insight is appreciated as I really like the music and want to love this pin.
Darin

#359 6 years ago

Darin

I think once you start hitting those shots that the game will become more fun for you because you can then start completing more modes. Making the shots on this game just feels satisfying also.

One thing maybe to try is to get to the first wizard mode which is medley tour multiball. You do that by playing all the modes....you don't have to beat them, just play them all. It's quite a challenge and alot of fun trying to do it. I usually start out with rats in the cellar to try and get the toy box loaded up and then maybe go to last child. Once I get the toy box full I go to sweet emotion and hit the lock shot to start multiball with 5 or 6 balls.

Not sure if that's a proper strategy but rats and last city seem to be the easiest modes. I'm not sure of the best strategy as far points go but that's the strategy I use to get to medley tour multiball. You also need to get love in a elevator multiball too as your playing through the songs.

I dont.know what it is about this game but I freaking love it. I think it's honestly because the shots are so satisfying when you make them. They are definitely tough, especially the right ramp for me but the shots are definitely makeable and they are smooth as butter when you hit them. When I first got AS it was fun but didn't seem like anything special. After I'd say 40-50 games and learning some of the rules and getting better at making the shots I became addicted big time to it.

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think once you start hitting those shots that the game will become more fun for you because you can then start completing more modes. Making the shots on this game just feels satisfying also.
One thing maybe to try is to get to the first wizard mode which is medley tour multiball. You do that by playing all the modes....you don't have to beat them, just play them all. It's quite a challenge and alot of fun trying to do it. I usually start out with rats in the cellar to try and get the toy box loaded up and then maybe go to last child. Once I get the toy box full I go to sweet emotion and hit the lock shot to start multiball with 5 or 6 balls.
Not sure if that's a proper strategy but rats and last city seem to be the easiest modes. I'm not sure of the best strategy as far points go but that's the strategy I use to get to medley tour multiball. You also need to get love in a elevator multiball too as your playing through the songs.
I dont.know what it is about this game but I freaking love it. I think it's honestly because the shots are so satisfying when you make them. They are definitely tough, especially the right ramp for me but the shots are definitely makeable and they are smooth as butter when you hit them. When I first got AS it was fun but didn't seem like anything special. After I'd say 40-50 games and learning some of the rules and getting better at making the shots I became addicted big time to it.

Definitely takes a few games to get a feel for the shots...I'm totally addicted big time as well! The more I play the more I want to play. I'm only an average player, so just getting 6 ball multiball is an achievement but what a buzz! Have not even started all songs in one game wtf off to practice lol

I built this hole "volcano" on my putt putt course for that same rush you get when you make 'that shot' I also find swearing helps when you miss lol

IMG_0260 (resized).JPGIMG_0260 (resized).JPG

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Definitely takes a few games to get a feel for the shots...I'm totally addicted big time as well! The more I play the more I want to play. I'm only an average player, so just getting 6 ball multiball is an achievement but what a buzz! Have not even started all songs in one game wtf off to practice lol
I built this hole "volcano" on my putt putt course for that same rush you get when you make 'that shot' I also find swearing helps when you miss lol

I have only been to medley tour multiball one time personally but I've almost got it several times. I was just trying to explain to VolunteerPin basically that it's not always about seeing how many points that you can score. Sometimes it's just trying to complete modes or trying to get to the mini wizard mode etc. I doubt that I will ever get to the main wizard mode where you have to complete every mode. I am certainly going to try though and I'll have fun doing it on this pin here for sure!

P.S. Oh yea, and I could never make that volcano shot in a million years! That's way harder than getting to medley tour multiball. lol

#362 6 years ago

I've been working on 2 different scoring strategies: one for tournament/league play, and one for GC attempts.

I won't share my league secrets, but here's a strategy I'm trying for GC:

1. Start with Last Child, shooting orbits until all 3 elevator locks are qualified.
2. Lock 2 balls in the Elevator.
3. Start Sweet Emotion, then immediately shoot the elevator for MB.
4. Use the EMB to finish Sweet Emotion and earn "Playfield Scoring" super mode.
5. Start TITA MB, and collect huge points by stacking it with Playfield Scoring super mode.

Alternatively, I'll just try to bring Sweet Emotion into a big Toys MB. This works great because both modes require the same shots (all of them!). What's hard is starting both of them at once.

#363 6 years ago

I did have a good game yesterday where I was able to actually complete sweet emotion during a 5 ball mb. I was actually hitting some shots. Ended with about 140 million which for me is amazing.

I'm not sure who said it doesn't matter if you win or lose. Winning is much more fun.

#364 6 years ago

I did have a good game yesterday where I was able to actually complete sweet emotion during a 5 ball mb. I was actually hitting some shots. Ended with about 140 million which for me is amazing.
I'm not sure who said it doesn't matter if you win or lose. Winning is much more fun.

Not a bad game at all, congrats! This game is really fun for real, just stick with it. Like I said, I wasn't super impressed at first and then something just clicked and I started becoming addicted to it. It's one of Stern's best games IMO.

#365 6 years ago

I would like to see a quick video mode that uses the Smart Button while the magnet holds the ball. Maybe something to do with the ducks or cows or other animations.

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I would like to see a quick video mode that uses the Smart Button while the magnet holds the ball. Maybe something to do with the ducks or cows or other animations.

I'd like to see a video mode where you're Joe Perry trying to casually bump Steven Tyler into the audience while playing guitar.

#367 6 years ago

I'd like to see some award for a skill shot. It's unlikely we'd see a video mode, but I could picture some guitar hero esque play riffs in time with the buttons.

#368 6 years ago

Bad experience last night. Got back from 3 day holiday go to play AS Pro. After a few dud games I catch fire, get 6 ball Toys mb, get elevator mb, down to one more song for medley, getting into high score territory then I lock another ball it just stays there, nothing happens no reset etc. finally it gets played and I drain, then nothing happens just the song being played. Nothing still game shows only mystery award, nothing and nothing, so I tilt the game. It was like frozen on mystery award. Turned off only to play to more dud games.

Not sure if I have a problem but was ready to pitch game to curb. I was really ticked after having so many crappy games.

I'm going to try again tonight.

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'd like to see some award for a skill shot. It's unlikely we'd see a video mode, but I could picture some guitar hero esque play riffs in time with the buttons.

Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but yesterday I was playing a Pro on location and dropped 3 consecutive skill shots all for lock. When the 3rd skill shot landed it lit the extra ball.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but yesterday I was playing a Pro on location and dropped 3 consecutive skill shots all for lock. When the 3rd skill shot landed it lit the extra ball.

That's cool. I don't completely understand the mystery Jacky extra ball, could it have been that?

#371 6 years ago

So this is interesting...when I was first setting up my machine AS Premium I noticed all the cable harnesses were labeled Toys LE. I didn't think much of it as all my ST harnesses were labeled Prem/LE and figured they just marked them all either Pro or LE since there is no electrical difference (to my knowledge) between the premium and pro playfields.

IMG_2194 (resized).JPGIMG_2194 (resized).JPG

The other day when cleaning the machine I noticed that my mini playfield is signed, looks like my machine shipped with a Premium cabinet and an LE playfield after all.

IMG_2225 (resized).JPGIMG_2225 (resized).JPG

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

So this is interesting...when I was first setting up my machine AS Premium I noticed all the cable harnesses were labeled Toys LE. I didn't think much of it as all my ST harnesses were labeled Prem/LE and figured they just marked them all either Pro or LE since there is no electrical difference (to my knowledge) between the premium and pro playfields.

The other day when cleaning the machine I noticed that my mini playfield is signed, looks like my machine shipped with a Premium cabinet and an LE playfield after all.

Toys was the code name, and the Prem has the LE harnesses and stuff. They don't make a special one for the Prems.

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Awesome, I'm trying to get to where I can make that shot consistently.

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Awesome, I'm trying to get to where I can make that shot consistently.

Same here, I'm really terrible at making that dang shot! There should definitely be some kind of a decent reward for making it.

#375 6 years ago

le at its best.

IMG_4114 (resized).JPGIMG_4114 (resized).JPG

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#376 6 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

le at its best.

I thought adding mirror blades and FF speakers to my LE would be enough.... and now I see this?! Well done sir... well done.

#377 6 years ago

Joined the club yesterday after having my dreams destroyed on Star Wars I bought HUO,s premium and just love it.
Mirror blades look killer on this game and the art is on par with the best

Does anybody know,if this code is cooked or more to come?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#378 6 years ago

There should be more to come for sure - but when is anybody's guess!

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

le at its best.

That's a stunning effect. How did you do it? What did it require?

#380 6 years ago

I wish this thread was active as the ghosting thread.
I'm stuck in Philadelphia until next Friday, missing my games and my kitty cats.

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm stuck in Philadelphia until next Friday, missing my games and my kitty cats.

The Stern Aerosmith thread is more active. Safe travels!

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

How stuck? Are you looking for something to do? Block party on my street tonight starting at 6pm until 1am???

Tomorrow morning/afternoon up until 3pm feel free to come down and play some pinball.

And next week, any night except Monday I'm free to play some pinball.

#383 6 years ago

Oh man, sorry I missed this. I did make it out to Malvern to visit Pinball Gallery, awesome place!

Quoted from djreddog:

How stuck? Are you looking for something to do? Block party on my street tonight starting at 6pm until 1am???
Tomorrow morning/afternoon up until 3pm feel free to come down and play some pinball.
And next week, any night except Monday I'm free to play some pinball.

#384 6 years ago

Just joined the club with my first NIB and I love it. After playing for a few days I have a couple of questions...

I notice that if there is just one or two balls in the toy chest it always seems to dump them directly on top of that plastic to the left of the box and I am concerned that at some point it will crack. Is this a valid concern? Has anyone tried the Clear Acrylic Plastic Pop Bumper and Upper Plastic Protectors from ULEK? Seems like they might be more beneficial than the slingshot and return lane protectors.

Also, some shots into the elevator seem to bypass the lock and come straight up and out through the top/front and then roll down the plastic in front of the elevator and drop into the toy chest lock. It is not every time, but maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7. Is this normal or is there an adjustment I need to make to something inside the elevator?

Thanks.

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

notice that if there is just one or two balls in the toy chest it always seems to dump them directly on top of that plastic to the left of the box and I am concerned that at some point it will crack. Is this a valid concern?

I'm not worried about it, but if you are concerned than installing the protectors will add strength to that area.

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Just joined the club with my first NIB and I love it. After playing for a few days I have a couple of questions...
I notice that if there is just one or two balls in the toy chest it always seems to dump them directly on top of that plastic to the left of the box and I am concerned that at some point it will crack. Is this a valid concern? Has anyone tried the Clear Acrylic Plastic Pop Bumper and Upper Plastic Protectors from ULEK? Seems like they might be more beneficial than the slingshot and return lane protectors.
Also, some shots into the elevator seem to bypass the lock and come straight up and out through the top/front and then roll down the plastic in front of the elevator and drop into the toy chest lock. It is not every time, but maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7. Is this normal or is there an adjustment I need to make to something inside the elevator?
Thanks.

I got both of the plastic protectors from them and are quite happy with them.

As for you issue with the elevator feed, mine feeds to the left flipper 100% of the time. You may want to check the power for that kick out.

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Just joined the club with my first NIB and I love it.
Thanks.

Congrats on the new game!

I never saw the ball feed up through the elevator like you describe. Shots to the elevator on mine will rattle around before settling down in the scoop but never feed up through the top on the initial shot. I wouldn't worry about it for now. Wait to see what happens once your game is broken in a little.

#388 6 years ago

Looks like waxing that right ramp was a bad idea

20170811_075043 (resized).jpg20170811_075043 (resized).jpg

#389 6 years ago

Two random questions for AS owners...

1) Is there a sub hookup on the machine from the factory? I thought I read there was one of Star Wars... wasn't sure about AS.

2) What does the DUDE light above the scoop do/signify?

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

1) Is there a sub hookup on the machine from the factory? I thought I read there was one of Star Wars... wasn't sure about AS.

1. No.. but spike does have a cabinet speaker (sub) out built into spike. It's being used of course but it took me all of 10 minutes to make a small splitter for it then run a speaker wire out a back vent.

2. As far as I can tell it just adds flash during a ramp shot or general light show.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I'm waiting for Pinnovator's to provide a proper sub-hook up and thru the door volume control for AS. But I guess you could tap into the 2 leads in the lower cabinet speaker if you can't wait.

#392 6 years ago

Thanks guys! Hopefully ordering my AS Prem tomorrow or Monday!

#393 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Thanks guys! Hopefully ordering my AS Prem tomorrow or Monday!

Awesome! Good balance from your TWD. Borg.

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

As far as I can tell it just adds flash during a ramp shot or general light show.

Quoted from jeffsarcade:

What does the DUDE light above the scoop do/signify?

The blue dude light is lit after crank it up during dude looks like a lady mode. It' just becomes another dude award. Makes me wonder now why it doesn't light the arrow blue... Doesn't matter to me, I love this pinball mavhine.

#395 6 years ago

Sub out. Nice and easy to remove when needed.

IMG_5875 (resized).JPGIMG_5875 (resized).JPG

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Sub out. Nice and easy to remove when needed.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get line-level output? Think of the possibilities.

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Awesome! Good balance from your TWD. Borg.

Love those Borg games!

#398 6 years ago

I have a pro on the way. Seriously excited!

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I have a pro on the way. Seriously excited!

You have good reason to be excited because AS is one great game! When you unbox it and see how great it looks you're going to be even more excited. Absolutely a beautiful pinball machine!

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Love those Borg games!

Yeah! Both TWD and AS are fun, but a totally different type of fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
There are 4,071 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/8?hl=joey__p__1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.