IMG_4956 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4954 (resized).jpeg
17086809037297000656547500638295 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240123_182538 (resized).jpg
20240123_182607 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240110_065014_Chrome (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 82.
#1251 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, so do the newer spike/2 flipper node boards NOT have that watchdog circuit anymore? I didn't realize they had changed the design...

I was told by the local Stern tech that Stern told him (after 2 hours waiting on the phone) that the board had been updated. Whether that means they just changed this actual chip, or they made more detailed changes, I don’t know ...

rd

#1252 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I was told by the local Stern tech that Stern told him (after 2 hours waiting on the phone) that the board had been updated. Whether that means they just changed this actual chip, or they made more detailed changes, I don’t know ...
rd

Or they changed the programming of the node board software. I wish they weren't so secretive about this crap. Trying to figure it out with little or no technical information from Stern is a PAIN. Trust me, NO OTHER MANFACTURER wants to steal Spike/2 tech, the system that famously can be damaged just by adding a single mod according to Gomez.

#1253 5 years ago

Ok. I'm in.

Now to update the code! Then I guess I'll start playing ☺️

20180406_140658 (resized).jpg20180406_140658 (resized).jpg

#1254 5 years ago

I also picked a pro up today. Looks like I have some reading to do before I start asking questions.

69CD2562-1C47-417B-AA55-FED4E03C1873 (resized).jpeg69CD2562-1C47-417B-AA55-FED4E03C1873 (resized).jpeg

7709980D-887A-4DDD-8A86-AF824CCB0DB5 (resized).jpeg7709980D-887A-4DDD-8A86-AF824CCB0DB5 (resized).jpeg

2C8290D2-15B4-44D4-9376-9F6BA443C1A6 (resized).jpeg2C8290D2-15B4-44D4-9376-9F6BA443C1A6 (resized).jpeg

#1255 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I also picked a pro up today. Looks like I have some reading to do before I start asking questions.

Congrats, looking good. That new pin smell.

#1256 5 years ago

I wish the code update could have fixed the no sound on the drains. It's not a big deal but it's so annoying not to have it working. Good place to add the first callout from Steven too.

#1257 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I wish the code update could have fixed the no sound on the drains. It's not a big deal but it's so annoying not to have it working. Good place to add the first callout from Steven too.

and add sound when you push right or left flipper button when game sets idle.

#1258 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

WJxxxx, how the hell did you score 1.8B with the glass on? I consider myself a pretty decent player, and my best score with factory settings and outlanes is about 320M. I’m just wondering if there’s some magic stack I’m missing.

I completed Final Tour Wizard Mode.

I had double shot scoring on the scoop (where final jackpot is collected), I hit the final shot as a combo (score doubled again) and I may have had double playfield scoring as well.

It meant that a single shot was worth a little over 1.2BILLION when I collected the final jackpot shot which is the addition of all of the other shots made in Final Tour.

The points didn't particularly come from modes, they were just played to complete and move on. 2 Extra balls (one from starting 3 modes, and the other from Jacky shots).

Never managed it again though

#1259 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or they changed the programming of the node board software. I wish they weren't so secretive about this crap

IMHO the reason they don't broadcast that they've changed stuff like this is that would then be admitting that the original board, or code, or whatever, was faulty and causing the issue. That could then lead them open to lots of people claiming their costs back if they have had to buy replacements.

When there was the issue with Sparky coil locking on, there was nothing in the code update about a fix, but miraculously all of the issues disappeared (including on my machine)

#1260 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I completed Final Tour Wizard Mode.
I had double shot scoring on the scoop (where final jackpot is collected), I hit the final shot as a combo (score doubled again) and I may have had double playfield scoring as well.
It meant that a single shot was worth a little over 1.2BILLION when I collected the final jackpot shot which is the addition of all of the other shots made in Final Tour.
The points didn't particularly come from modes, they were just played to complete and move on. 2 Extra balls (one from starting 3 modes, and the other from Jacky shots).
Never managed it again though

So before the 1.2b shot, your score was roughly 600m. That makes me feel a little better. There just doesn't appear to be many ways to score lots of points.

#1261 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

IMHO the reason they don't broadcast that they've changed stuff like this is that would then be admitting that the original board, or code, or whatever, was faulty and causing the issue. That could then lead them open to lots of people claiming their costs back if they have had to buy replacements.
When there was the issue with Sparky coil locking on, there was nothing in the code update about a fix, but miraculously all of the issues disappeared (including on my machine)

You're probably right. Liability is king.

#1262 5 years ago

I just tried to flash the new code to my AS. Went to lunch and when I came back, the display was frozen. I powered it down, removed the USB stick, and powered it back up. Now, nothing. Not even a boot display. I suspect the bootloader somehow got hosed.

Is there a guide to restoring a Spike2 SD card? If all else fails, I'll go to my friend's house and image his. What a pain.

BTW I just copied the 3 files to the USB stick. I think I was supposed to concatenate those first. In Linux:

cat aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.000 aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.001 aerosmith-1_05_0.spk.003.002 > aerosmith-1_05_0.spk

#1263 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The metal backbox version Metallica Prem here blew up THREE magnet boards over the course of a year before they decided it was probably the system board. They replaced that AND the 4th magnet board and never had another problem. But yeah, that magnet board is a queenie bitch.

This is very useful information to have, thank you for providing it to the forum.

#1264 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Trust me, NO OTHER MANFACTURER wants to steal Spike/2 tech

I hope no other manufacturer goes down this path. IMO The SPIKE design is based entirely on producing the cheapest possible product.

additional thoughts: If I was a conspiracy theorist I would also think that Stern wants to produce non-repairable, and non standard boards to drive up their revenue from replacement parts.

#1265 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

BTW I just copied the 3 files to the USB stick. I think I was supposed to concatenate those first. In Linux:

No, you just copy them as is to your USB drive; the SPIKE system should not even attempt to flash if these files aren't correct. I've seen multiple load failures on Spike systems and non of them ever resulted in a dead system.

#1266 5 years ago

Bummer. It froze up at around 4,000 on the progress bar. I really hope it’s just the SD card. The bootloader should never get wiped out by a bad file - that’s the first rule of bootloaders.

#1267 5 years ago

I have my AS set on free play, if you match the knocker does not sound off. It is turned on. The only way it works is to turn off the free play. My ST is on free play and sounds off loudly when a match occurs. I was hoping for a code update to correct that on AS. Got tp love those knockers.

#1268 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Now, nothing. Not even a boot display. I suspect the bootloader somehow got hosed.

I made a copy of the code 1.03 from my SD card. Let me know if you need it.

#1269 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Bummer. It froze up at around 4,000 on the progress bar. I really hope it’s just the SD card. The bootloader should never get wiped out by a bad file - that’s the first rule of bootloaders.

I have a copy of code over 1.03.0 also if you need it. My TWD wouldn't update, one of the ROM chip pins was bent and not connected. But your problem sounds worse. Keep us posted. I downloaded new code too but have no intention of updating. Good luck swampfire

#1270 5 years ago

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

EDIT: I'm back up and running with an image from bicyclenut - thanks again!

#1271 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had this install freeze 3 times before it finally completed...I see similar issues with BM66, but have no idea why

#1272 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I had this install freeze 3 times before it finally completed...I see similar issues with BM66, but have no idea why

Is the update worth installing for HUO. Or wait for the next " final" ver. I see you got a great collection of pins.

#1273 5 years ago

Anybody have any custom instruction cards? Thanks!!!

#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Anybody have any custom instruction cards? Thanks!!!

Instruction card
Post #1179

#1275 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Instruction card
Post #1179

Page 24

#1276 5 years ago

After I recovered my SD card, I tried the upgrade again. This time I used “Quick” and no verify. It froze once, then completed on the second try.

This upgrade was worth it for me, for the improved audio quality and independent tone controls for the backbox and cabinet speakers. It’s also cool that you can make the backbox light dim during gameplay, then go back to bright for attract mode.

#1277 5 years ago

Here are my notes on the improvements that made this upgrade worthwhile for me. All of the diagnostic improvements are good too, but wouldn't have been enough on their own to make me take the plunge.

- NOT MENTIONED: improvement to the song select bug
** Hitting the flippers will still change the song between ball launch and the first switch hit. BUT: the song now matches the mode that you're in! No more hearing "Sweet Emotion" while playing "Rats". Hell yeah! I hope this is real and not just my imagination. I still think that ball launch should lock it in immediately, but this is enough of a fix for me.

- Fixed a problem where the game could reset if the display tried to render too many layered images after a foreground display effect was finished running.
** I haven't experienced a reset, but I'm glad it's less likely now.

- System v1.97, nodebus protocol change and node board firmware update.
** Didn't cause any new issues, this is good!

- Improved sound processing.
** I could swear that the audio quality is better, but this may just be due to the ability to tweak the balance between the cab and backbox speakers.

- Added adjustments for backbox speaker bass/treble, cabinet speaker
bass/treble, and cabinet/backbox speaker balance to service menu
UTIL->VOL. Speaker balance allows lowering the volume level of cabinet
speaker or backbox speakers vs. the other.
** This was HUGE for me. Now I'm getting the most out of my Flipper Fidelity 10" woofer. Sound quality is much easier to tweak.

- Added adjustment for "GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS"
** YES! It's great to be able to dim it to 50% during game play.

- Added support for new headphone jack accessory.
** If this will speed up availability of a Spike 2 Pinnovator jack, I'm excited. I've been waiting for this.

#1278 5 years ago

Has anyone else had a problem with the custom message feature? I select CUSTOM MESSAGE ON (adjustment #41) and change the message by hand, but I have never seen it come up in Attract Mode.

#1279 5 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Has anyone else had a problem with the custom message feature? I select CUSTOM MESSAGE ON (adjustment #41) and change the message by hand, but I have never seen it come up in Attract Mode.

I've never seen it work properly either.

#1280 5 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Thanks--perhaps it's just not coded to do so yet.

#1281 5 years ago

That's because there's no attract mode

No messages, no sounds, nothing but 4 screens scrolling.

If you press the flipper buttons.... no sound.

#1282 5 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I typed one in, but never seen it. Hell I forgot what I typed in.

#1283 5 years ago

Audio quality is indeed better with this release. I'm sure most of that is due to the extra tweakability of the audio settings for cab and backbox speakers. Whatever it is, I'm really happy with it.

#1284 5 years ago

Ultimate AS Pro!
Just installed my speaker lights (Doug at Speaker Light Kits is undeniably top shelf!) with my custom stainless steel mirror finish speaker grill & topper, custom sculpted Jackie & Jackie shooter rod, Joe Perry replica guitars, side armor with EL lighting. Yep, she's a keeper!

#1285 5 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

Ultimate AS Pro!
Just installed my speaker lights (Doug at Speaker Light Kits is undeniably top shelf!) with my custom stainless steel mirror finish speaker grill & topper, custom sculpted Jackie & Jackie shooter rod, Joe Perry replica guitars, side armor with EL lighting. Yep, she's a keeper!
» YouTube video

That is far out. I have AS next to A MET now also. Friggin awesome combo! And Eddie is coming in a couple of weeks.

#1286 5 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

Ultimate AS Pro!
» YouTube video

You did a great job modding those games out and holy shit what a awesome house you have on the beach!!

#1287 5 years ago

Amazing setup and mods. Can they be purchased somewhere?

#1288 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Amazing setup and mods. Can they be purchased somewhere?

Both toppers & speaker grills are custom laser cut with water jet laser cutter, from my original designs. Joe Perry replica guitars are from Mini Guitars (from Indonesia so it took like over 5 months to deliver) I custom sculpted (hydraulic clay) Jacky simply because I just got tired of looking at that butt ugly nut sack under his chin.

#1289 5 years ago

Jacky has a dimpled chin. He’s a handsome devil compared to the well walker. I’d say even nicer looking than Sparky. Can I say that?

#1290 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Jacky has a dimpled chin. He’s a handsome devil compared to the well walker. I’d say even nicer looking than Sparky. Can I say that?

Ditto

#1291 5 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

I custom sculpted (hydraulic clay) Jacky simply because I just got tired of looking at that butt ugly nut sack under his chin.

I actually like Peter’s “chin sack” on the FG pin.

F5B02EB4-FA42-4BE9-BEA9-05F4DF61C0BB (resized).pngF5B02EB4-FA42-4BE9-BEA9-05F4DF61C0BB (resized).png

#1292 5 years ago

Hey fellas, new to the club! Anyone know if the backbox and cab speakers are 4ohm or 8? I kinda figured the backbox were both 4 ohm and cab was 8 but wanted to ask. New update just really got me thinking of replacing backbox with some 2 ways or something... thanks!

#1293 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Hey fellas, new to the club! Anyone know if the backbox and cab speakers are 4ohm or 8? I kinda figured the backbox were both 4 ohm and cab was 8 but wanted to ask. New update just really got me thinking of replacing backbox with some 2 ways or something... thanks!

It should be in manual, that sound right. But double check. If you don't have a manual then head to SternPinball.com find game and download manual.

#1294 5 years ago

The backbox speakers are 8 ohm 4 watts part# 031-5004-02 and the cabinet is also 4 ohm part #031-5007-01 not sure of watts.

#1295 5 years ago

Check out the flipper fidelity options for the speakers that have the same mounting pattern. You can order them with a lower profile if you eventually want to get a speaker light kit. That's the route I'm going on the next credit card billing cycle.

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Check out the flipper fidelity options for the speakers that have the same mounting pattern. You can order them with a lower profile if you eventually want to get a speaker light kit. That's the route I'm going on the next credit card billing cycle.

Hopefully tilted81 Will see the post so he can upgrade to a premium speaker.

#1297 5 years ago

Damn, I love this game!!!!!

#1298 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

How many people have the stern side rails?
I added them to my pro and I think they really finish the art work package.

I bought my Pro last Thursday and it came with the Stern side rails, Stern side art and a few other great mods. I think the rails look awesome! Not sure if I would have popped for them if not included on the machine when I bought it due to pricing.

IMG_0469 (resized).jpgIMG_0469 (resized).jpg
#1299 5 years ago

Wow! Those rails are really a nice touch!

#1300 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I’ve purchased flipper Fidelity’s kits for 3 of my games now, this time I thought I’d try something different. I wish stern would have up’d it to using 4x6’s in the backbox now.. there is so much extra wasted space back there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 4,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-owner-then-walk-this-way/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.