IMG_3079 (resized).JPG
IMG_3078 (resized).JPG
4_G (resized).jpg
IMG_3175 (resized).JPG
IMG_3177 (resized).JPG
IMG_3176 (resized).JPG
IMG_2660 (resized).PNG
IMG_2652 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverballnut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

I have an AS LE, had it since the beginning. We play it routinely, but not a lot every day (have several pins, and two kids that keep us busy). My playfield still looks perfect and my cabinet is fine. I actually just put on cliffy's and a few mods over the weekend so really looked it over close.

My GB Premium from last year also looks perfect.

As for the cabinets, I've either been fine, they are a small percentage, or we nudge nicely (not a lot of death saves).

1 week later
#171 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I would say that all that is acceptable and I am just looking for a reason to bitch about a stern game because I despise them.

Yeah, the more I think about some of this the more I can see Stern's point about it being normal(ish). I don't like the new ghosting happening so quick, but I think it can and will happen over time. It may be that the more modern thicker clear coats simply don't crack easily so a gap forms if there is any movement of the insert compared to the wood. It's just way more visible (compared to a hairline crack) so it is now a bigger issue. However, that doesn't explain why Stern seems to have the worse problem (maybe they just sell way more so they get into more environments).

The wood and the plastic inserts are always going to have some movement at their edge. The wood expands and contracts, the insert will not. I guess if the hole was just perfect then the wood expanding and contracting could possibly not move on the edge of the insert, but I would guess that's an impossibility at the microscopic level.

Me, I'm just going to play my games. They look great still, but are in my livingroom or converted garage at a pretty constant humidity and temperature. I keep the house at 75F and the dehumidifier keeps it under 55%RH. Makes me wonder if the temp changes/humidity changes are affecting the new games more... I haven't seen any ghosting of my new games including GB and AS.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Not arguing against your point in general, but using CV & TOTAN as an example doesn't help proving the point. Those JPop games have been well known for decades as THE prominent example on notorious ghosting and how bad PF manufacturing failures can actually get. And a run down, beat up 25 year old Indy is also not a very good example when talking about brand new games with ghosting inserts.
Regarding the AS this is referring to - i think it's borderline for a new pin. The other games in the range of 10 years old I would regard as a non-issue and "normal" aging (for a routed game!).
All this said, just for the fun of it I've checked all my pins. I left out CV for obvious reasons and because it has been restored, so it would be unfair to include it. The only "problems" I've found is some very slight ghosting on STTNG. For the lower STNNG insert I'm not sure if it's not abrasion looking at the position of the insert. I also have massive crazing on BK2000 - but even then there is no ghosting at all. Out of 7 pins, all older than 2004, this is all I could find.
Basically every time someone posts sample pics of B/W pins with ghosting they use run down beaten up examples. Look for some HUO ones that haven't been routed and/or exposed to ever changing climate, they usually do not have ghosting!

If you look at your inserts on STTNG though they are all cracked all the way around. That's what I've been noticing on the older pins, the inserts crack the clear and then start wearing. The new pins, the inserts don't crack the clear but rather separate from the clear somewhat along the edge and you see the ghosting. Your BK2000 also has some cracking around the edges of the inserts and that crazing is wild.

Again some is normal, but not sure where the line of excessive comes in. Obviously new playfields with cracking/chipping clear after 50-100 games is a big problem, ghosting sucks too but we may just be stuck with this going forward. I've seen many CPR playfields and restored playfields with cracking around the inserts too. Especially on the older bally/stern games where the playfield isn't supported well when you raise it. That rotational force will crack the clearcoat.

#180 6 years ago

I shouldn't have said 'all'. Many of the STTNG are cracked all the way around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 12.75
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverballnut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-ghosting?tu=silverballnut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.