Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gary rob brooke (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_1205 (resized).JPG

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 2 years ago

So I usually try and buy every new stern that comes out but that hasn't been the case lately and even skipped ghostbusters; just way too many air balls and rules. Haven't wrote one of these in awhile; but this game needs it, because it has that magic to it. Ya know that feeling where you just want to hit that start button again and again.
Aerosmith hits on all cylinders and is truly Borg and Lonnie's masterpiece. Big thanks to the entire team on this game because wow they knocked it out of the park in so many ways. Will break it down into several sections here guys and please link any questions you have on this thread and I'll try to answer it as best I can.
Artwork
Well I have a Metallica right next to it and dirty Donny killed that game, and thought it was a game changer in pinball art. Well wait till you guys get to see Aerosmith; he really outdid himself. Whether the backglass, cabinet art, playfield art and even the plastics; he destroyed it. Wait till you see the detail of Jackie and the plastics around him with the evil toys on them. His attention to detail is amazing. He also mesmerizes with the evil toys on the backglass art and all the hidden treats he has on the playfield art too.
Have to give this section a 10 out of 10
Dirty Donny will have a tough time beating this game art guys it's really jaw dropping.

Animations;
Here is where I was very skeptical; I had watched many of the videos online and they seemed just ok we'll wait till you get to see them in real life. Will just go over a couple of the great highlights; wait till you play dude looks like a lady; the animations in this mode are really great and very cool when you start nailing shots on the field. Another one that is really cool is the toys animations when you start nailing jackpots in toys in the black x mball. Some other great modes and animations are back in the saddle, walk this way(nothing like some hot chicks coming across the screen and shaking it), lastly forget which mode but you get to see differnt extermination trucks with differnt album cover art. Overall the display is a please t surprise and really reminds me of an upgraded dmd and has some killer art to it and huge props to the entire team for really doing some cool and unique stuff here. So for animations I'd say it gets a 8.5

Sounds and Music
Well here the new spike 2 sound system shines really get to hear just how good and clear the new system is. Really love how with spike 2 you can go in adjust the bass and treble along with the volume. I was really worried hear because some of the early sound effects seemed like they were borrowed from kiss; well those all seem to be gone now and game really shines hear with the real nice old school Aerosmith tracks. Along with some very cool sound effects. Lastly let's talk about call outs which has been a big topic of discussion here on the group and jackies voice. Jackie's voice does not really bother me but that will be for everyone to see what they think. So keeping all that on in mind; I'd rate this section like this
Music a 9; would be a 10 but no Dream On
Sounds a 8 as they stand and lastly
Call Outs get a 7

Gameplay and Layout
So here is where most of the magic comes from on this game. Your going to want to look at it and say wow looks like Metallica or maybe it looks like Kiss. Well I'm here to tell you it plays way different then both of those games; which is also a great surprise. One of the things I really like is how challenging the game is and it has several very cool and challenging shots on it like the orbits (hitting the left orbit and going right through the pops is one killer shot), another oddly not a gimmie shot is the scoop on the left which is different from your typical Borg scoop, lastly the right ramp can be very challenging; mainly because of the height and ramp opening being very narrow. The easiest shot on the game is the elevator shot. But the game keeps you on your toes and the ball is very fast and wild on this one. The gameplay has a very differnt type of feel to it with some really cool combination shots available like hitting the outer right orbit to the left flipper and then nailing the elevator for the ball lock. The magnet on this game too has some really wild new action to it unlike any other magnets out there really different. The main toy is the jester and it rocks. All I have to say is go for the 6 ball mball for some crazy mball action and some killer points too. Game has a great mix of flow and some stop n go to it. Borgy really gave us a killer layout and table here.
Overall rating for layout and gameplay a 9.5

Lastly let's talk RULES
So I was along with everyone else and was a little worried when I heard LONNIE was in charge of software on this one; we'll let me just start with this and that is this is LONNIE's masterpiece. He really gave us some very cool features on this game. We'll start with the ability to be able to crank up your modes when you are in them and go for some higher point values when you hit the scoop. Another highlight is the combo system with the coins. Not to mention toybox mball and the ability to choose how many balls you want to start mball with and then when you are in mball gives you the ability to lock multiple balls back in the jester too and go for triple scoring. Also love the arrange of super modes that you can achieve when defeating one of the regular modes in the game and he just fixed the roadblack that was in the code for love in a elevator mball. Touching on the code; this is by far the best out of the gate code stern has put out in a long time. I feel here it would be unfair to judge the code just yet though until we get some more updates, but I can say this what's in it already is great fun.
So overall this to me has been the pleasant surprise of 2017 and the best part about it is it's not that expensive for a pro. Borg, Lonnie and the entire team Aerosmith really put their heart and soul into the game and you'll be able to tell when you get to play the game. I'll sum it up like this; game can be very challenging and just gives you that let me hit the start button one more time feeling.
My overall rating guys is a 9.0; please share any thoughts or questions anybody has and you will be very happy when you get your hands on an Aerosmith and get to play it.

#2 2 years ago

Cool write up.

I was surprised too how fun Aerosmith was to play. That ball lock is AWESOME!!!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 2 years ago

I don't care how good it is. Would never own another game codes by Lonnie. Just not worth the heartache. He lacks the commitment that Lyman has. It's short sighted to forget about the past.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I don't care how good it is. Would never own another game codes by Lonnie. Just not worth the heartache. He lacks the commitment that Lyman has. It's short sighted to forget about the past.

Isn't it more short sighted to exclude a game that's great?

Sure - if you have some big issue with the code in a game, and are hoping it will get fixed -> don't forget the past.
But once the rules/code is already past that state - why not evaluate the game as it sits, instead of who was involved in working on it?

#5 2 years ago

Nice writeup. I hope Aerosmith continues getting a good amount of code support.

#6 2 years ago

Has anyone confirmed no dream on in the final wizard mode?

I hope this is something in future code update if it isn't there already.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Has anyone confirmed no dream on in the final wizard mode?
I hope this is something in future code update if it isn't there already.

There is multiple wizard modes in there but no Dream on yet

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Isn't it more short sighted to exclude a game that's great?
Sure - if you have some big issue with the code in a game, and are hoping it will get fixed -> don't forget the past.
But once the rules/code is already past that state - why not evaluate the game as it sits, instead of who was involved in working on it?

Once bitten twice shy, but to each their own.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Cool. Does that mean that "Dream On" will eventually be in the game?

#10 2 years ago

Hey- let us know how the playfield and clear coat are holding up on this one.

P

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People need to start lighting a fire under Stern's ass to get that added in a future code update.

Just seems odd to not have that in the wizard mode.

Also seems kind of cheap to have to listen to the same music for the wizard modes that are hard to acheive. It's a music pin so they should have some unique music to unlock with these modes, jmho. Gives you something to work for other than just points.

#12 2 years ago

My overall rating guys is a 9.0; please share any thoughts or questions anybody has and you will be very happy when you get your hands on an Aerosmith and get to play it.

great review! Very thorough. So, can you actually steal another players locked balls?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

People need to start lighting a fire under Stern's ass to get that added in a future code update.
Just seems odd to not have that in the wizard mode.
Also seems kind of cheap to have to listen to the same music for the wizard modes that are hard to acheive. It's a music pin so they should have some unique music to unlock with these modes, jmho. Gives you something to work for other than just points.

Yeah, agree. I don't understand, other then to save money, why Stern only got the license for 9 songs. Also, a couple of the songs are just ok and Dream On (one of Aerosmiths top songs) isn't even in the game...

#14 2 years ago

How does the code compare to Kiss at this point? Thanks

#15 2 years ago

We've been down this well-worn Derek road before.

It's a fun game with a good audio and art package just like most Sterns. And it'll be out of Derek's collection in a couple months.

#16 2 years ago

They must have more than 9 sounds because Toys in the Attic plays during the Toys multiball and I would imagine there is a song that plays during Elevator multiball and the wizard mode.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, agree. I don't understand, other then to save money, why Stern only got the license for 9 songs. Also, a couple of the songs are just ok and Dream On (one of Aerosmiths top songs) isn't even in the game...

#17 2 years ago

So What? Derek is enjoying it now and wants to tell about it. Let him have his fun without being so negative.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've been down this well-worn Derek road before.
It's a fun game with a good audio and art package just like most Sterns. And it'll be out of Derek's collection in a couple months.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, one could hope that Stern can do this with a code update.

Since it is a music pin, integration of music and game is obviously a major component of code build. To not have some sort of music that is unique to each of the wizard modes just seems odd. Aside from points, what is unique to achieving these modes?
I can only speak for myself here but if I get to one of these I want to hear something that I haven't already heard earlier in the game.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So What? Derek is enjoying it now and wants to tell about it. Let it have his fun without being so negative.

Every single new game, ever, gets the "best game ever" review from Derek, and every single time I point out that his opinion on these games can be .... fluid.

That will never change on either account. Derek knows I love him. This has been going on for 15 years.

#20 2 years ago

They must have more than 9 sounds because Toys in the Attic plays during the Toys multiball and I would imagine there is a song that plays during Elevator multiball and the wizard mode.

Aren't they just playing the same song for a couple modes creating a lot of redundant music?

If this is the case I think that sucks and could get old.

#21 2 years ago

Aerosmith is DEFINITELY a big surprise and is exceeding everyone's expectations!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Aren't they just playing the same song for a couple modes creating a lot of redundant music?
If this is the case I think that sucks and could get old.

Toys in the attic and love in an elevator aren't selectable modes/tracks. They play during their respective multiballs.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Aerosmith is DEFINITELY a big surprise and is exceeding everyone's expectations!

I seem to hear this from a lot of people, but its mostly followed by, ".......as compared to Batman".

I have no opinion either way, just spreading Gossip.

#24 2 years ago

I haven't written a review like this in some time for any games and this one deserves it because the bottom line is it is a ton of fun and it's bolted to the floor and sits right next to Metallica

#25 2 years ago

I spent some time on AS at AMOA and Pinmasters Champs in Dallas.

I'd concur with what Derek has to say mostly.

Seems to be a good fun game. While the layout is similar to KISS it plays quite differently.

I like the lock shot ... and of course the ball flying through the air is very cool. All the AS machines I played (2 pros and 1 premium) the ball lock flying trick worked perfectly. However Nimble tells me on the machines at Banning Expo, it is a bit touch and go.

If you want to see some footage of some good players playing AS, you can see it on the BATCITY twitch feed from Pinmasters. This machine was set up pretty tough though.

rd

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

The one we played in the bar had no chipping or other playfield issues.
No idea how many plays it had already received (propably one week and a half on location).

#27 2 years ago

How could you not have Dream on in this machine?
That's very close to a deal-breaker for me. Still going to wait to see about code and quality before even thinking about purchasing.

#28 2 years ago

Whoops, I just noticed Toys and Elevator have inserts (that you can't select during the game), so maybe there is only 1 more song for the wizard mode for a total of 10 songs. I hope the 10th song is Dream On. That would be a great finisher.

#29 2 years ago

How many more "epic" pins are we going to see needing more code!!???B66 hasen;t even scratched the surface yet! People are still screaming for more "KISS" code,still,and "Kiss"is dead in the water!On and on???

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

P

On the two that Marco had at Arcade Expo both had chipping on Saturday. These were open new for the show.

That being said of the 5-10 games I played on it I thought the game play was great. This seems like a very fun game to me. I am 44 and like the music which is reallly done well, I can't believe this doesn't have dream on though and I hope it will be added! I asked a few people how they liked it and everyone I asked said they did but most of the younger crowd said except for the music I'm not an Aerosmith Fan.

#31 2 years ago

Can't Dream On just be added in with PB? Maybe Lonnie can ride this positive wave and do the KISS code some much needed justice.

#32 2 years ago

It would have to replace an existing song. You can't add songs without replacing one of the same length.

Quoted from thundergod76:

Can't Dream On just be added in with PB?

#33 2 years ago

It would have to replace an existing song. You can't add songs without replacing one of the same length.

Right that's what I meant. I'm sure at least one Aero song can get the axe in favor of Dream On.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I spent some time on AS at AMOA and Pinmasters Champs in Dallas.
I'd concur with what Derek has to say mostly.
Seems to be a good fun game. While the layout is similar to KISS it plays quite differently.
I like the lock shot ... and of course the ball flying through the air is very cool. All the AS machines I played (2 pros and 1 premium) the ball lock flying trick worked perfectly. However Nimble tells me on the machines at Banning Expo, it is a bit touch and go.
If you want to see some footage of some good players playing AS, you can see it on the BATCITY twitch feed from Pinmasters. This machine was set up pretty tough though.
rd

The lock shot can be brutal to hit - it's a very tight, weird shot with bounce outs. First good skill shot in a LONG time on a Stern where you can drop it into a lit lock on the plunge.

#35 2 years ago

Whoops, I just noticed Toys and Elevator have inserts (that you can't select during the game), so maybe there is only 1 more song for the wizard mode for a total of 10 songs. I hope the 10th song is Dream On. That would be a great finisher.

Agreed and this would likely push me over the top on my decision to buy or not. There are one or two other songs that would be acceptable adds to a wizard mode however dream on seems the most appropriate.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Right that's what I meant. I'm sure at least one Aero song can get the axe in favor of Dream On.

The problem i see here is that there are specific animations unique to the songs that are included and playfield inserts won't match which creates lousy integration.

Metallica,AC/DC,Rolling Stones etc.... this was easy to do without affecting those things.

For me it's not even about not liking the included songs because they are fine. It just needs something different for a wizard mode that you don't hear earlier in a game.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The problem i see here is that there are specific animations unique to the songs that are included and playfield inserts won't match which creates lousy integration.
Metallica,AC/DC,Rolling Stones etc.... this was easy to do without affecting those things.
For me it's not even about not liking the included songs because they are fine. It just needs something different for a wizard mode that you don't hear earlier in a game.

Good point!

#38 2 years ago

Curious, I read the game has 2 wizard modes - Medley Tour and Final Tour. Does anyone know what music plays in these modes?

#39 2 years ago

For high scoring strategy, are there any other options besides toybox multi ball? I got to put a few games on AS yesterday and it seemed like that was the only way to get decent points.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I seem to hear this from a lot of people, but its mostly followed by, ".......as compared to Batman".
I have no opinion either way, just spreading Gossip.

I keep hearing the same comment (Aerosmith pinball is great) - but it's mostly followed by "but I don't like the band".

#41 2 years ago

One little crappy thing Stern did was eliminate the ear phone jack in the back box. Now you can't use Pinnovators thru the door volume control and ear phone jack. This probably saved Stern about a buck Pinnivators will probably come up with work around but for now no earphones or sub woofer unless you wire yourself.

Otherwise I like this pin a lot with it's wide open playfield, music, and playfield action. The animations look great. I doubt you'll see another dot matrix from Stern unless a remake.

#42 2 years ago

My daughters are 32 and 23 and both like some Aerosmith songs. They grew up on 70's and 80's rock from their dad. They would rather listen to the Stones, Bowie, Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Beatles, or Pink Floyd than any current music. I asked them which music pin should I get between Met and AS and they said no way to Met based on the music. Met is fun but I am not a metal fan so it will probably be AS. Kiss is out and AC/DC is just ok to me.

#43 2 years ago

Wolfy I'd get Metallica and change the songs. My Met Prem plays all Rush songs and will never leave my collection

#44 2 years ago

Curious, I read the game has 2 wizard modes - Medley Tour and Final Tour. Does anyone know what music plays in these modes?

Medley Tour goes through the songs one at a time like Iron Throne does with houses on Game of Thrones. You complete all the song shots and move on to the next song. I haven't seen Final Tour yet, but now that the Elevator roadblock is gone, I will try it again. I got all the other modes and MB completed before, but got blocked by that. Elevator MB is not easy to complete.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

My daughters are 32 and 23 and both like some Aerosmith songs. They grew up on 70's and 80's rock from their dad. They would rather listen to the Stones, Bowie, Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Beatles, or Pink Floyd than any current music. I asked them which music pin should I get between Met and AS and they said no way to Met based on the music. Met is fun but I am not a metal fan so it will probably be AS. Kiss is out and AC/DC is just ok to me.

You won't regret it Aerosmith is just pure fun and has that pinball magic in it.

#46 2 years ago

In terms of modes are there 9 song modes and 3 multiballs? Also, do the modes require the player to work the entire playfield or are they mainly just "hit ramps 5x" type modes? Do any of the modes have stages to them that require various shots to be hit?

Thank you!

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In terms of modes are there 9 song modes and 3 multiballs? Also, do the modes require the player to work the entire pkayfield or are they mainly just "hit ramps 5x" type modes?

9 songs total (that I know of), 2 of which are in MB (Toys in the Attic & Love in an Elevator). The other 7 you can select. Song runs until timer runs out. Hitting lit shots extends timer as does shooting scoop when Crank it Up is lit. Crank it Up is like away team missions on Star Trek. Modes are basically the same as KISS. Shoot lit shot, other shots will light. Shoot in succession and double the value. It uses the whole playfield, unless it is an orbit specific mode, then it will be fixed with both orbit shots lit. Once you get far enough in the mode, a super value will light like Super Ramps for Walk This Way.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

9 songs total (that I know of), 2 of which are in MB (Toys in the Attic & Love in an Elevator). The other 7 you can select. Song runs until timer runs out. Hitting lit shots extends timer as done shooting scoop when Crank it Up is lit. Crank it Up is like away team missions on Star Trek. Modes are basically the same as KISS. Shoot lit shot, other shots will light. Shoot in succession and double the value. It uses the whole playfield, unless it is an orbit specific mode, then it will be fixed with both orbit shots lit. Once you get far enough in the mode, a super value will light like Super Ramps for Walk This Way.

Thanks! Great info.

#49 2 years ago

Thanks for the write up. We are playing one this Thursday and if we like it, it will be coming home with us. I am a Borg fan (TWDLE is my favourite machine) and all reports for this machine so far are great. We are definitely not fans of the band but we love good pinnies!

#50 2 years ago

I enjoyed AS at expo this weekend. The box was cool. I don't like the sparky voice like I didn't like it on Metallica. The game played hit and miss on getting the ball in the box which was frustrating since you had to try to lock again if it missed. Hopefully it can compensate in future updates. Fun game though

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Wrentham, MA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 8,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
York, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
The Flipper Room
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside