Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by galore2112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0357 (resized).jpeg
    2DBDCDAC-602E-45F1-8C83-8A340B9509F2 (resized).jpeg
    7C20600B-7F4D-4CC1-8157-68CD81B303E7 (resized).jpeg
    #1 11 months ago

Ok how many times have we heard this line from rock bands.

I grew up with all these old bands and have seem most of them back in thier haydays but we've heard this so many times.

I think it's just a way to pad thier retirement accounts by charging outrageous ticket prices. And now, are they even doing the singing and playing of the instruments. They say that's fake now too.

What are your thoughts?

#2 11 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok how many times have we heard this line from rock bands.
    I grew up with all these old bands and have seem most of them back in thier haydays but we've heard this so many times.
    I think it's just a way to pad thier retirement accounts by charging outrageous ticket prices. And now, are they even doing the singing and playing of the instruments. They say that's fake now too.
    What are your thoughts?

I think this really is the end of the line for them for several reasons. We will be going to see them one last time.

#3 11 months ago

I watched a concert on one of the Dish channels that they did in Doughtinhan or something, can't remember, but it was awful.

No way am I wasting money on that.

#4 11 months ago

Truly bizarre that people are willing to spend big $ to see acts that peaked 40-50 years ago.

They wont be good, your expensive seats will suck, the *band* will play the same 15 songs lockstep with every other concert they are doing, the fat-ass chomper next to you will be on his phone the entire time, the lady in front of you will be trying to film it on her ipad from 100 yards away

There is still plenty of great live music out there you just gotta poke around. I would much rather catch a newer band on the rise in a smaller venue than watch any band from the 70s have their funeral procession.

#5 11 months ago

Just saw Maiden end of last year and those guys didn't lose anything in old age! Sounded tight and was a great show! Not sure about this one though.

#6 11 months ago

Counter-point = Going to one of these shows is always going to be more fun than sitting at home on the couch.

I don't have any interest in seeing them but I caught them 10 years ago.

Saw Elton's "farewell" show in Brooklyn last year and it was awesome.

And yes, the "farewell gambit" has almost always been a gimmick, but at this point, with these farewell bands well into their 70s...I mean...call it farewell or don't call it farewell, who cares? It's farewell for SOMEBODY!

The band..the fans...somebody won't be around in a few years to tour. I'll quote Mick Jagger from 1994 when they were embarking on what everybody surely thought would be their final tour..."It's a final show for somebody. That guy in the 5th row may get hit by a bus next week."

Keith Richards says the first time a reporter ever asked them if it was their final tour was getting off a plane in the US in 1966.

Just some pointless perspective!

(by the way contrary to millions of dumb youtube comments, the Stones have NEVER done a "farewell tour.")

We saw John Fogerty (77) at Radio City on Friday night and it was awesome. BTW - if you want to avoid the pratfalls of these shows - oceans of phones in front of you, bad sound, people talking so loud you can't hear the music...get good seats. Never fails to improve the experience)

2DBDCDAC-602E-45F1-8C83-8A340B9509F2 (resized).jpeg2DBDCDAC-602E-45F1-8C83-8A340B9509F2 (resized).jpeg7C20600B-7F4D-4CC1-8157-68CD81B303E7 (resized).jpeg7C20600B-7F4D-4CC1-8157-68CD81B303E7 (resized).jpeg
    #7 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(by the way contrary to millions of dumb youtube comments, the Stones have NEVER done a "farewell tour.")

We may be splitting hairs here but even if the band didn't consider it a farewell tour it certainly was heavily promoted in DC as 'your last chance to catch The Stones'
    In a delicious twist of irony it turns out it was actually my last chance to catch them. So to your point, it certainly was their farewell tour for some(ie me)

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

We may be splitting hairs here but even if the band didn't consider it a farewell tour it certainly was heavily promoted in DC as 'your last chance to catch The Stones'
    In a delicious twist of irony it turns out it was actually my last chance to catch them. So to your point, it certainly was their farewell tour for some(ie me)

You were at the Voodoo Lounge at RFK in 1994? Cool. It was a killer show and I believe the first show of the tour! I was there...with my parents...we fled and found our own seats.

The Stones have NEVER announced nor promoted a Farewell tour. Not even a little bit. Anybody "promoting it" as one had nothing to do with them.

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Counter-point = Going to one of these shows is always going to be more fun than sitting at home on the couch.
    I don't have any interest in seeing them but I caught them 10 years ago.
    And yes, the "farewell gambit" has almost always been a gimmick, but at this point, with these farewell bands well into their 70s...I mean...call it farewell or don't call it farewell, who cares? It's farewell for SOMEBODY!
    The band..the fans...somebody won't be around in a few years to tour. I'll quote Mick Jagger from 1994 when they were embarking on what everybody surely thought would be their final tour..."It's a final show for somebody. That guy in the 5th row may get hit by a bus next week."
    Keith Richards says the first time a reporter ever asked them if it was their final tour was getting off a plane in the US in 1966.
    Just some pointless perspective!
    We saw John Fogerty (77) at Radio City on Friday night and it was awesome. BTW - if you want to avoid the pratfalls of these shows - oceans of phones in front of you, bad sound, people talking so loud you can't hear the music...get good seats. Never fails to improve the experience)[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that Lester Holt on bass? Lol

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Is that Lester Holt on bass? Lol

was wondering if someone would catch that. He came up for a song toward the end.

NBC Nightly did a piece of Fogerty and him finally buying his songs back last night, and they are doing a follow up bit on how Lester ended up on stage tonight.

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

was wondering if someone would catch that. He came up for a song toward the end.
    NBC Nightly did a piece of Fogerty and him finally buying his songs back last night, and they are doing a follow up bit on how Lester ended up on stage tonight.

I saw that last night in the interview with Fogerty. Was he playing bass?

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I saw that last night in the interview with Fogerty. Was he playing base?

Just for a song.

It was adorable!

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from B-low99:

Just saw Maiden end of last year and those guys didn't lose anything in old age! Sounded tight and was a great show! Not sure about this one though.

I second this !

#14 11 months ago

Also , I’ve been waiting until the day of a show to get tickets .Just like pinball , “sold out” doesn’t mean shit nowadays .Paid $120 for 2 real good seats to see GnR at Wrigley, $220 for 3 good seats for IMDN at the United Center and $140 for 2 unbelievable seats to see RHCPs at Soldier field all last minute .

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Truly bizarre that people are willing to spend big $ to see acts that peaked 40-50 years ago.
    They wont be good, your expensive seats will suck, the *band* will play the same 15 songs lockstep with every other concert they are doing, the fat-ass chomper next to you will be on his phone the entire time, the lady in front of you will be trying to film it on her ipad from 100 yards away
    There is still plenty of great live music out there you just gotta poke around. I would much rather catch a newer band on the rise in a smaller venue than watch any band from the 70s have their funeral procession.

Seems like the last show I went to...we heard more of the audience singing than the band. Just what I wanted to hear at $100 plus a ticket

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Seems like the last show I went to...we heard more of the audience singing than the band. Just what I wanted to hear at $100 plus a ticket

I've had great comp seats with idiots behind who can try to ruin a great experience. Sometimes you just get bad seats on the plane.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And yes, the "farewell gambit" has almost always been a gimmick, but at this point, with these farewell bands well into their 70s...I mean...call it farewell or don't call it farewell, who cares?

My sister and I were at the Doobie Brothers last show of their "farewell tour" in 1983. Concert was filmed and we saw part of it flipping thru the channels along with a commercial for their "farewell tour" 40 years later.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We saw John Fogerty (77) at Radio City on Friday night and it was awesome.

Seen him 5 or 6 times and he's always good. Seems to be enjoying himself nowadays. Saw him at the Venitian, and thought ticket prices for good seats were reasonable as he puts on a good show.

#17 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Unless your Metallica the average concert is 110 DB which is enough to throttle your ears into submission. Concert sound quality and acoustics have never been great.

Its not bizarre at all. Nostalgia sells. I'm in my 50's and enjoy music from all generations including stuff before my time. Maybe someone caught onto Aerosmith late and never saw them in concert or haven't in a long time. My ex roomy was into them and he was 10 years younger than me. They put on a great show the last I saw them in 2007'ish timeframe and bet they will again.

#18 11 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Unless your Metallica the average concert is 110 DB which is enough to throttle your ears into submission. Concert sound quality and acoustics have never been great.
    Is it the age thing? I'm in my 50's and enjoy music from all generations including stuff before my time. Maybe someone caught onto Aerosmith late and never saw them in concert or haven't in a long time. My roomy was into them and he was 10 years younger than me. The put on a great show the last I saw them in 2007ish timeframe and bet they will again.

pretty much comes down to the singer nowadays, i mean band members don't lose their ability to keep time or play chord progressions. (except peter criss)

#19 11 months ago

I'm trying to think of bands who fared well and actually meant it. It's a very short list

Ramones (but they all died within 10 years so who knows. I do feel like it was over, Johnny was done.)
    Black Sabbath - It's been 7 years now, I think they are done. Saw some killer shows that tour
    Tina Turner - she's done. Been 15 years now. Still smacking myself for not going to see her!

ummmm...is that it?

I saw Cher's farewell tour and that bitch was on the road again 2 years later!!! We should have been able to use our farewell tickets for those shows! And she made a HUGE speech during the show about how she means it, she's not coming back, etc.

That's just a side note; making a list of bands/acts who have done farewell tours and come back is pointless as there's so many of them. But like I said, at this point, more and more of these "farewells" are going to actually be farewells. In 10 years most of these bands will literally be dead. In 20 they all will.

#20 11 months ago

#21 11 months ago

I’m in - will be exciting to see the bad boys from Boston again!

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

if you want to avoid the pratfalls of these shows - oceans of phones in front of you, bad sound, people talking so loud you can't hear the music...get good seats.

This ^^
    Saw Def Leppard last summer and going again this year. These guys will be around a for several more years and never disappoint. Motley not so much.

IMG_0357 (resized).jpegIMG_0357 (resized).jpeg
    #23 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But like I said, at this point, more and more of these "farewells" are going to actually be farewells. In 10 years most of these bands will literally be dead. In 20 they all will.

Yup. Seen 2 KISS "Farewell" tours. My friends and family all laughed when I bought tix for the "last show ever" at MSG on 12/2/23. I said mathematically I'm going to be right one of these times. Dudes are in their 70s and wear 40lbs of gear. Ain't happening forever.

#24 11 months ago

Ha!

Nice to see an announcement with some production values.

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Yup. Seen 2 KISS "Farewell" tours. My friends and family all laughed when I bought tix for the "last show ever" at MSG on 12/2/23. I said mathematically I'm going to be right one of these times. Dudes are in their 70s and wear 40lbs of gear. Ain't happening forever.

Yeah, I'll try to snag a last-minute for the "final" show at MSG. Yeah Kiss kinda sucks, but there's gonna be tons of pyro and awesome rawk choruses!

#26 11 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

i went to see kiss on their first farewell tour in 2000. 23 yrs later, here we are.

#27 11 months ago

The undisputed king of the farewell tour has to be Sir Elton Hercules John.

I mean, he started the Farewell Yellow Brick Road World Tour in Sept of 2018 and he is still playing the same tour tonight in Hamburg.

#28 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I mean, he started the Farewell Yellow Brick Road World Tour in Sept of 2018 and he is still playing the same tour tonight in Hamburg.

Kiss has been faring well since 2019, but yes it would seem Elton is the champ. Skynyrd - now sporting exactly zero original members - has also been on a vaguely-worded farewell tour for as long as Elton but it's pretty clear some iteration of that band will continue on forever.

#29 11 months ago

Elton and McCartney were fantastic performances last year.

#30 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

The pandemic delayed his Farewell tour He's done and wants to spend time with his kids.

#31 11 months ago

Rock concerts are rough - getting to the arena, parking, standing in long lines, fighting crowds, finding your seat, waiting, then waiting more, then being subjected to deafening noise for several hours without pause, then fighting crowds again to get out of the arena, finding your car, sitting in traffic jams, etc. etc. But what really gets me is they expect you to pay money for all this!

#32 11 months ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Rock concerts are rough - getting to the arena, parking, standing in long lines, fighting crowds, finding your seat, waiting, then waiting more, then being subjected to deafening noise for several hours without pause, then fighting crowds again to get out of the arena, finding your car, sitting in traffic jams, etc. etc. But what really gets me is they expect you to pay money for all this!

That doesn’t sound like any fun!

Not an issue for me. I can take mass transit (or walk) to about 10 medium-huge sized venues, and do not experience any of the hassles you are discussing.

“Finding my seat” has also never been a problem, you just look at your ticket!

#33 11 months ago

I believe it is "Farewell"

#34 11 months ago

Leave your memories at home when you go to see an old band. You, the band and the audience are all older. It’s alright but not the same.

#35 11 months ago

LOL, yes FOMO also exists for things other than pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aerosmith-announces-fairweather-tour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.