Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ven
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So, my sister wins a Stern Pro that's valued at $5600. Not sure what machine it is yet but she has no use for it or the room for it. Whats some advise on selling such a thing? What about shipping it? Whats a real world price she can expect to get from it? Thanks...

#2 9 years ago

Where is she located?

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from WildmanWilson:

So, my sister wins a Stern Pro that's valued at $5600. Not sure what machine it is yet but she has no use for it or the room for it. Whats some advise on selling such a thing? What about shipping it? Whats a real world price she can expect to get from it? Thanks...

Around here, people usually pay ~ $4500 for NIB Stern Pro games from collector-friendly distributors...$5600 is MSRP. Which game is it? Is it brand new in the box? And yeah...location!

#4 9 years ago

Expect to get $4200 for what ever machine you won.For pro versions

#5 9 years ago

Where was the game won ???

#6 9 years ago

If you couldnt tell by some of the replies, you can sell it to someone right on this forum. =D

#7 9 years ago

Selling it new in the box will net you more money, and would be easier to ship if the buyer isn't local. Shipping can be easily handled by companies such as NAVL. If you are in a larger metropolitan area, you'll find a local buyer.

If its still in the box, low to mid $4K is reasonable.

Yes, I'm interested!

Key is, where is the game?

#8 9 years ago

It's probably one of the walking dead ones for the contest.

#9 9 years ago

So... is your sister single?

#10 9 years ago

She enters every contest known to man. She was actually trying to win coffee and instead won the grand prize. She lives in Western Ky. She said she thought it was a Star Trek but isn't 100% sure until she gets more info. Yes, its a new in box as well.

#11 9 years ago

She enters every contest known to man. She was actually trying to win coffee and instead won the grand prize. She lives in Western Ky. She said she thought it was a Star Trek but isn't 100% sure until she gets more info. Yes, its a new in box as well.

/sigh.

Well, thankfully I gave up on entering that after the first day...

#12 9 years ago

Best bet is to sell it local for $4500 cash and carry pickup. I assume she'll need to use some of that money for taxes, but she'll have some change for coffee.

P.S. She can use Market here and you can make a For Sale post too.. Take a couple pics of box, but if she plans to sell, don't open the box.. Good luck and congrats!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

/sigh.
    Well, thankfully I gave up on entering that after the first day...

Well, I live in southeastern ky and entered it everyday for about a week before I got tired of watching those stupid videos. Lol.

#14 9 years ago

Not like it's a new account or anything.......

#15 9 years ago

I assume its new because he isn't into pinball and just wants to help out his sister.

#16 9 years ago

I could trade her some coffee for the machine. I noticed McDonald's is now selling their coffee in K-Cups. Does she have a Keurig? I could throw in one of those, too.

#17 9 years ago

McDonalds coffee is made at S & D located right here in Concord, NC!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

I could trade her some coffee for the machine. I noticed McDonald's is now selling their coffee in K-Cups. Does she have a Keurig? I could throw in one of those, too.

Sure, and they could just drop it off in Louisville at your grandparents place right?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Sure, and they could just drop it off in Louisville at your grandparents place right?

I'd be willing to make the drive and meet them at the back door of the garage, the back of my car overflowing with boxes of K-Cups.

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. My sister stays with our elderly mother so she doesn't work a job. Thats why she enters all these contest. I'm not wanting to push this on anyone on this forum. Just looking for advise as how to sell something this specialized and the value she could get from it. She needs the money so I want her to get all that she should. I hope she can sell it local but if she can't I will place an add in the for sale forum and see how it does. Once again thanks....

#21 9 years ago

From what I recall of the contest, the winner of the pinball machine would also receive $1500 (presumably to take care of any tax liability).

Not that I entered every day for weeks thinking I'd win.

#22 9 years ago

Craigslist for 4k and it will be gone in less than a week.
    She could get a few hundred more if she doesn't mind waiting longer

#23 9 years ago

Tell her to not open the box.

Try your local Craigslist. Cash and carry. If you can't get lucky there, come here and list a for sale ad. Last resort, eBay. As far as price goes, she can't expect to get any more out of it than any one of us can currently purchase one (shipped) for going through our favored distributors.

#24 9 years ago

4k cash and carry would be a quick sale.

#25 9 years ago

I think depending on title you should find a pinsider that would get most NIB sterns for 4500 to 5000. Most pinside peeps will be helpful, but lookout for peeps badmouthing the title to get the price down. Just dont take the first off you hear.

#26 9 years ago

Out of curiosity, even if its nib, if you resell it will the warranty still be honoured?

#27 9 years ago

which machine is it? also is she single?

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Out of curiosity, even if its nib, if you resell it will the warranty still be honoured?

yes....I have bought HUOs and stern still honored warranty

#30 9 years ago

1st thing- Make sure whomever receives the shipment carefully inspects it BEFORE signing for it!

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Try your local Craigslist. Cash and carry. If you can't get lucky there, come here and list a for sale ad. Last resort, eBay. As far as price goes, she can't expect to get any more out of it than any one of us can currently purchase one (shipped) for going through our favored distributors.

I guess she will use Craigslist but has had people screw her over by not showing up or she gets there and they want to negotiate on price. She won a big industrial blender and she drove two hours to the guys business and when she gets there, the guy walks in with another blender. He never called or told her anything. She had just talked to him that morning to set a meeting. If she can get 4200 to 4500 she will be tickled to death. I hope there are some pinball wizards in western Ky. LOL

#32 9 years ago

or she gets there and they want to negotiate on price.

she drove two hours to the guys business

Tell her to stop delivering the items. Make the buyer do the work.

#33 9 years ago

Your better off selling it to someone here who has 1+ years next to their name and a good amount of feedback points. Thats validation compared to some stranger on craigslist.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Tell her to stop delivering the items. Make the buyer do the work.

What he said.

Of course, if she ever wanted to visit the fair city of Dallas, Texas, I could totally come through on that Keurig and K-Cup offer.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Yes. The moment you take the game out of the box you are going to take a hit on value. Don't do it.

Edit: Don't even open it.

#36 9 years ago

If it's a Star Trek, it retails for $5300 so I would think $4000-$4200 is on the low side if brand new. I've seen people sell used ones for that.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If it's a Star Trek, it retails for $5300 so I would think $4000-$4200 is on the low side if brand new. I've seen people sell used ones for that.

You've seen people ask for that. You also have to keep in mind what mods are on the machine as that influences what people ask.

As for retail, distributors sell well below retail. That is why it is worth shopping around among different distributors.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

As for retail, distributors sell well below retail. That is why it is worth shopping around among different distributors.

Like who? I've thought about getting one and would like to know how much they sell below retail. I only see retail prices on a google search but not sure if you can negotiate price with distributor.

#39 9 years ago

I'd recommend JJ @ Game Exchange of Colorado. Apparently Stern's getting dumb with their rules, I'm just copy and pasting this out of one of his recent threads:

"I cannot Send Pricing VIA PM or Email. But I can Send Website Discount Codes via Email or PM.

Or Call me for Pricing. 303-931-3685 is my Cell
    Email is [email protected]"

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Like who? I've thought about getting one and would like to know how much they sell below retail. I only see retail prices on a google search but not sure if you can negotiate price with distributor.

it never hurts to pick up the phone and make a call or two...

that isn't unique to pinball machines, fwiw...

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You can search this forum for names of distributors. A quick google search found this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-best-distributor

Simply call up the distributor, tell them what game you want, and ask for a quote to have the NIB game shipped to you. I usually call three or so before deciding who to go with. There are plenty of good ones to choose from. Good luck!

(I have bought from cointaker mostly btw, but you can choose from any one you want)

#43 9 years ago

congratulate her on the win. I hope she ends up with enough cash from the sale to make her happy

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Your better off selling it to someone here who has 1+ years next to their name

What am I buying now?

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

What am I buying now?

hey!!! leave some for the rest of us...

#46 9 years ago

what aren't you buying ?

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Your better off selling it to someone here who has 1+ years next to their name and a good amount of feedback points. Thats validation compared to some stranger on craigslist.

my selling experience would not jive with this... i sold a machine awhile ago ("bad cats") and there were any number of people with the qualifications you cite who were a complete disaster to deal with... fortunately, i eventually came across a "no bullshit buyer", and it sold to him within 30 minutes...

3 months later
    #48 9 years ago

To the OP of this, how did she make out?

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Craigslist for 4k and it will be gone in less than a week.
    She could get a few hundred more if she doesn't mind waiting longer

I would recommend posting a for sale on MrPinball. Its free of course. You will get a pinball player/collector that is more trustworthy than most of the craiglist scammers out there. I would never recommend someone use craigslist to sell a pinball machine.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pins4me:

To the OP of this, how did she make out?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/18842

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advise-on-a-stern-pro-my-sister-won and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.