Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ys-omni-skateball-top (resized).jpg
ys-omni-skateball (resized).jpg
2AA7DD56-6765-47E8-8326-F60AE7956CE0 (resized).jpeg
032D2290-95BE-4F98-AD1C-F70F7FBC0860 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I need some advice on purchasing an LED conversion kit for a Flash Gordon. Is there anything I should be aware of, or which is the best?
Thanks, Brad

#2 2 years ago

don't buy a kit !
just order required bulbs from Comet!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

I need some advice on purchasing an LED conversion kit for a Flash Gordon. Is there anything I should be aware of, or which is the best?
Thanks, Brad

Agreed. No kit. Buy warm white retros or 2 smds. Frosted help spread the light more evenly.

#4 2 years ago

Buying a kit = Don't be that guy

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Agreed. No kit. Buy warm white retros or 2 smds. Frosted help spread the light more evenly.

What is smds? will the LED's work in the current lamp sockets?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

will the LED's work in the current lamp sockets?

No.

You'll need to either add a resistor to each lamp, or you'll need a new lamp board that handles LEDs. And I think FG also has an aux lamp board?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Buying a kit = Don't be that guy

Why would buying a kit be so bad?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Why would buying a kit be so bad?

Because you are paying someone to select colors for you that you need to be picked.
Warm white everywhere will look almost exactly the same as color matching inserts.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

What is smds? will the LED's work in the current lamp sockets?

Yes, but you will need this kit

https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

or a full new lamp driver board.

I use the above kit in all my Bally/Stern classics. He has add on boards available for aux lamp boards, too.

SMD just means surface mount resistor (the type of LED in the bulb)

#10 2 years ago

The SMD number is a brightness indication. SMD1 is less bright then SMD2. There are people who prefer SMD2 and people who prefer SMD1. This is where your personal preference should be applied. Also, some people color match the inserts and some do not. Again a personal preference. However, I agree with warm white frosted GI. You can buy these in bulk from Comet. Also some people leave incandescent bulbs in the back box, again a personal preference.

There are 555 and 44 type bulbs. The LEDs should fit the incandescent sockets, one is wedge style the other is not.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I use the above kit in all my Bally/Stern classics. He has add on boards available for aux lamp boards, too.

I looked at the adapters, are those for the lamp driver board, do I need some for the Aux board also?

#12 2 years ago

Nevermind I see that i need both.

#13 2 years ago

Okay so if I buy both adaptor boards, then I should be able to use the 2SMD frosted or am I limited on which lamp i can use?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Okay so if I buy both adaptor boards, then I should be able to use the 2SMD frosted or am I limited on which lamp i can use?

Either will work. Depends how bright you want it. I’m using smd1 sunlights throughout my power play and it’s plenty bright for me. Sunlight is in between a warm white and cool white and still on the yellow side for color.

032D2290-95BE-4F98-AD1C-F70F7FBC0860 (resized).jpeg032D2290-95BE-4F98-AD1C-F70F7FBC0860 (resized).jpeg2AA7DD56-6765-47E8-8326-F60AE7956CE0 (resized).jpeg2AA7DD56-6765-47E8-8326-F60AE7956CE0 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago

SMD = Surface Mounted Diode. SMD1 has only one led diode. SMD2 has two. SMD2 is about 20-30% I believe brighter than SMD1. For reference, Stern uses SMD2 bulbs in all their games.

#16 2 years ago

For the inserts if you want to get rid of the flaky Bally sockets you could try these.
ys-omni-skateball (resized).jpgys-omni-skateball (resized).jpg
ys-omni-skateball-top (resized).jpgys-omni-skateball-top (resized).jpg

I have them in both warm or cool white and they already have the resistor installed so you won't need a new driver board. They work with the original board right out of the box.

Thanks,
Yopp

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

For the inserts if you want to get rid of the flaky Bally sockets you could try these.
I have them in both warm or cool white and they already have the resistor installed so you won't need a new driver board. They work with the original board right out of the box.
Thanks,
Yopp

Oooooo, I like. Where do you buy those!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Oooooo, I like. Where do you buy those!

Just shoot me a PM and I can get you fixed up.

#19 2 years ago

Get the yoppsicles from David, you won't regret it, installed in 3 of my Ballys and couldn't be happier with them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advise-for-led-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.