Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

08520072_Defect (resized).jpg
    Molex_Top_Counterfeit_Bottom (resized).JPG
    Molex_Loose_Counterfeit_Chain (resized).JPG
    DSC08528 (resized).JPG
    DSC08527 (resized).JPG
    DisneyWorldChippedCup (resized).jpg
    08520125_Mugshots (resized).jpg
    MJnPnVZm (resized).jpg
    IMG_2404a (resized).jpg
    IMG_2460a (resized).jpg
    IMG_2456a (resized).jpg
    IMG_2441a (resized).jpg
    IMG_2454a (resized).jpg
    IMG_4666 (resized).jpg
    Electricity explained (resized).jpg
    DSCN5386 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I think the big problem for most is that the connectors are almost impossible to find. My globetrotters has 25 and 28 pin connectors...tough
    Then if you can find the right connectors it’s quite tedious and fraught with difficulty to wire them up. I redid some of mine 3 times and I still think one of the pins isn’t making a connection on one

Reuse the old connector housings there's no reason to replace them unless they are the IDC type as in the newer older games.

The other issue you will get better with practice.... it helps to have a quality crimper. The Yellow handled Waldron is "ok" for a pin or 2, but for mass repinnings a good ratcheting one is a must and makes it so much easier to get good crimps.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

it’s not as easy as you make it sound. Removing the connector from a housing without damaging the housing is tricky, cutting the wire, crimping a new pin receptor and getting it back in solidly is not easy.

That's where the practice and experience comes in. A lot of it comes down to the tools you get though, if you have crap tools, it's just going to be an exercise in frustration for you. I have the same blue handled crimper oldschoolbob does (as well as the yellow handle waldrons), but I use a small jewelers' screwdriver to get the pins out. That's the biggest pain. I made crap connections for years before I got the right tools.

Quoted from Coyote:

Plus the old plastic can be brittle. Since most of the hard work is recrimping, which you're doing *anways*, I just replace everything.

Sure, when the housings are easily available. The .100 bally ones don't usually get too brittle or hammered though and I've saved a bunch of them from parts playfields from years past. .156 connectors I always use new ones it's just faster than extracting the pins ones at a time.

1 week later
    #71 4 years ago

What exactly makes old solder 'bad' that reflowing it and adding a bit of solder doesn't fix?

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I had one of those and gave it away. I also have one of those squeeze bulbs. bought the Hakko and have never been sorry.

I've never really found a use for the squeeze bulb type, certainly not to suck up solder. I have the hakko for chips or if I'm doing a lot at once but otherwise the solder sucker tube or braid works fine.

For people with the hakko.... if you can desolder sideways it makes it a lot easier since you're not overcoming gravity. At a buddy's once I had to replace a 40 pin PIA on a system 11 board he went upstairs for a couple minutes to get a beer and when he came back down I was done with the desoldering AND the installation of a new socket.... he couldn't believe it.

Of course, major advantage when you're cutting OUT the chip and just have to remove the pins. But still.... less than 10 minutes.

Get extra filters and change them occasionally to keep the pump in good shape.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Are you referring to the spring loaded solder tube? I have one like that and it's pretty easy to use and works well.

Yeah, I have a couple of old radioshack ones that work fine. Sometimes the pin that pushes the solder out gets misaligned but other than that it's good.

1 week later
    #108 4 years ago

That's some bad QC.... you have a right to be pissed. No way are those going into the housings and staying correctly.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ed is beyond repute, he's offers top quality parts and service.

Yes, that's why he's going to take care of it with his supplier - it sucks for him to get stuck with the poor QC he posted pics of.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mombo-number-5:

I'm sure they are packed by weight, the only QC would be what the gram scale says.
    I'm not pissed, found it surprising if anything. I have been a Great Plains customer for 20 years or so. Ed is always the first choice for pinball electronic repair stuff. I don't know what the Mouser catalog is like these days, but you use to need a BA in Greek to figure it out the last time I looked at it. Digikey (a Minnesota company about 85 miles from me) can't seem to find their ass with both hands, it takes them 3 weeks to change their mind (or used to).

I meant Ed must be pissed.... as the supplier he's going to be ordering thousands and thousands of these, and the complaints are going to be directed at him, and now he has to deal with it. Ed's great no one disputes that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advise-for-early-solid-state-owners?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.