8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by SpaceAce
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7150 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7149 (resized).JPG

#1 8 months ago

I've installed LED's in some of my GI (AC) circuit. While the lamps have a nice glow, when the ball is around there appears a strobe effect on the ball. Is there any reason I shouldn't install a bridge rectifier on the GI bus to convert it to DC, thus improving the strobe effect?

#2 8 months ago

. Edit

#3 8 months ago

I already have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). It's pinball at the moment. Will a bridge rectifier help? I'm looking for a low budget solution and already have spare bridge rectifiers. Thanks for any advice!

#4 8 months ago

If you are using "AC" LEDs, they already have a bridge built in. If you're using inexpensive bulbs without internal bridges, an external bridge would help.

#5 8 months ago

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have installed inexpensive (5 cent) LED's. I will install the bridge on the GI bus then and see how that works.

#6 8 months ago

What game? What kind of LEDs?

#7 8 months ago

PROBLEM SOLVED. I had assembled 12V LEDs in my GI that was 6v. DUH. After replacing the GI LED's with those made for 6v the strange effect was gone. The LED's I am using, which I assembled myself, work in AC or DC. They cost me less than 5 cents each! Actually, the LED component was free (Harbor Freight), and the resistors I had laying around the shop for more than 30 years. If I were to go out today and buy the LEDs and resistors, the cost would total 5 cents!

1 week later
    #8 7 months ago

UPDATE: I've upgraded the LED's I assembled myself specifically for GI lighting without the use of a rectifier. I use two SMD5050 chips, one connected forward polarity, the other reverse. There is no noticeable strobe effect, and they are a little brighter than compared to the ones with only one chip.

IMG_7149 (resized).JPG

IMG_7150 (resized).JPG

4 months later
    #9 3 months ago

This is cool. I have some really nice SMDs down stairs which might work well. Huzzah for rolling your own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,199.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 12.50
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.00
    $ 224.99
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 199.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 15.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside