2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7778 (resized).JPG
    GameRoom2 (resized).JPG
    GameRoom1 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1576 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1575 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1589 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1588 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1587 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1585 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1581 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1584 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1577 (resized).JPG
    PinstoBed (resized).JPG
    BasementTVLocation (resized).JPG

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

Hired a contractor! Work starts beginning of April.

I'll take some better before pictures of the basement and post later to compare to the after.

#52 2 years ago

So, here comes the before pictures with the plan of what we are going to do. We are going to widen the door to the basement to 32" to more easily get pins in and out. We are going to add a landing from the second stair at the bottom as ls1chris recommended. When you turn the corner, you are going to be facing a custom built bar against the far wall to the left of the closets. Before picture of that area:

BasementBarLocation (resized).JPG

The bar is going to be L-shaped and about 60"x70". It will be two-tiered with a lower working countertop for the "bar tender" (me) and a higher countertop for the "patrons". We'll have some track lights above the bar. We're adding an outlet in the closet for a minifridge for storing ice, etc. The ping pong table will be gone. A small TV will be mounted to the wall behind the bar.

Moving counter-clockwise:

BasementInBetween (resized).JPG

BasementPinLocation (resized).JPG

This will be the new area for the pins. I can fit 4 against the wall which, right now, is to the left of the TV (which will be gone and mounted over the bar).

I'll have a service light over the pins on a separate switch.

Continuing to move counter-clockwise, where the pins are now, we are going to mount a larger TV on a swivel mount at the left most point on the back wall:

BasementTVLocation (resized).JPG

The TV will swing out so guests seated on a couch (where the right wall and Hobbit decal is now) can see the TV. We will either get a sectional for that right wall that makes an L-shape out of the wall and facing the back wall, or we will get a couch and have some nice swivel chairs in the area instead.

Around the corner, we have this little nook tucked away between the stairs and the utility room:

BasementArtLocation (resized).JPG

Right now, we put the kitty litter there. We are going to make this my daughter's new art area and put a screen to block off the area where the TV and couch / sectional will be. The cats will have to do their business elsewhere.

Some other features of the whole basement: We will have a Pergo laminate floor. The drop ceiling will be removed, and everything above will be sprayed with a black dry fall paint. We will have canister lights throughout. All new flat walls with new molding.

That's the gist of it. Getting very excited!

#53 2 years ago

A question for folks: Right now, I have perfectly sized carpet sliders on the bottom of my pin legs. Does anyone know what type to buy for a hard floor to allow the pins to slide somewhat? By that, I mean does anyone know the exact product to buy that will be the right size? I've seen hardwood sliders out there, but I haven't seen them in the exact size of my carpet sliders (though, I haven't looked that hard yet). Thanks!

2 weeks later
    #54 2 years ago

My pins are all tucked in for the start of work tomorrow. They'll get wrapped up some more. I just wanted to make sure they had heavy blankets to keep them comfy.

PinstoBed (resized).JPG

The hardest part about this -- not playing for 5+ weeks while the work takes place.

1 month later
    #55 2 years ago

The basement is done! Thanks everyone for all of the advice you gave. Here are some pics:

First, the landing, leading into the basement: more room now for getting pins up and down.
    IMG_1575 (resized).JPG

Now, in counterclockwise motion, the bar, the pin area, and the media area:
    IMG_1577 (resized).JPGIMG_1584 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1579 (resized).JPG

The ceiling is matte black with some cannister lights:
    IMG_1585 (resized).JPG

My daughter's art area is in a nook behind the stairs. We painted a chalk wall for her, and she used it:
    IMG_1576 (resized).JPG

More pics of the bar:IMG_1581 (resized).JPG

IMG_1580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1589 (resized).JPG

IMG_1587 (resized).JPG

IMG_1588 (resized).JPG

#56 2 years ago

I'm very pleased with how it came out. Plus we have room for one more pin!

#57 2 years ago

Wow, turned out really nice!! Did you do ceiling or contractor? I'm trying to do my basement on a budget.

#58 2 years ago

That basement is damn nice! Excellent design and sure to bring years of enjoyment

#59 2 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm really happy, though I have to say, the process was really stressful. I'm glad I can now just relax and enjoy the space.

poppapin We used a contractor for everything, including the ceiling. He sub'd that work out to a painter. If you haven't done something like that before, I would recommend hiring someone. The ceiling work was really messy. The painter wore a fully suit and respirator and painstakingly sprayed every nook and cranny of the ceiling. The dry fall paint leaves a ton of black dust behind, which easily cleans up, but it looked like a bear of a job.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Wow, turned out really nice!! Did you do ceiling or contractor? I'm trying to do my basement on a budget.

Quoted from Nokoro:

If you haven't done something like that before, I would recommend hiring someone.

It really comes down to whether the space is empty or not. If it isn't get a pro, if it's the beginning of work do it yourself. You can buy a cheap paint gun or rent a big one form lowes and pump it out quick. There isn't anything special aboot it...just takes time. I had a guy do my last one and i did this one myself with the cheapest paint imaginable..can't see any diff'rence.

#61 2 years ago

Huge improvement!!! Very awesome! Would love to know what it ended up costing ballpark if you felt like sharing.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Huge improvement!!! Very awesome! Would love to know what it ended up costing ballpark if you felt like sharing.

Sure. Ballpark, it was about $20k not counting the cost of furniture. That's less than the cost of a Magic Girl. It was about a 4-5 week job.

#63 2 years ago

Nice space. I have about 1700 sq feet in my basement that needs to be refinished. I will be doing it myself over time but love seeing what others have done. My ceilings are low also so I might do the same. Mine are just tall enough though to raise my playfields so I haven't decided yet if I want to remove the drop ceiling.

That carpet on the stairs, how far does it go? In your pics you can only see it on the stairs and the landing, is that the extent of it? I currently have carpet with a thick pad and love the warmth. The previous owners (company that flipped the house) used a really crappy grade carpet. It stains really easy and is hard to keep clean. I have kids (8&9) and 2 dogs + 2 cats so it's a bear to keep clean. I am thinking vinyl plank flooring. What kind of flooring did they use in there?

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Nice space. I have about 1700 sq feet in my basement that needs to be refinished. I will be doing it myself over time but love seeing what others have done. My ceilings are low also so I might do the same. Mine are just tall enough though to raise my playfields so I haven't decided yet if I want to remove the drop ceiling.
    That carpet on the stairs, how far does it go? In your pics you can only see it on the stairs and the landing, is that the extent of it? I currently have carpet with a thick pad and love the warmth. The previous owners (company that flipped the house) used a really crappy grade carpet. It stains really easy and is hard to keep clean. I have kids (8&9) and 2 dogs + 2 cats so it's a bear to keep clean. I am thinking vinyl plank flooring. What kind of flooring did they use in there?

Yes, the carpet is only for the stairs and landing. We used a relatively cheap but commercial grade, nylon carpet. It should hold up well taking a hand truck up or down or gently sliding a pin down. For the main flooring, we used Pergo. I think there are cheaper laminate floors, but we have had success with Pergo and didn't want to risk it.

It sounds like your drop ceiling is a bit higher than mine was because I couldn't raise a playfield without moving ceiling tiles around. It was a pain. Nevertheless, I really love the open black look. I think it opens up the space a lot and things feel less claustrophobic.

1 week later
    #65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm very pleased with how it came out. Plus we have room for one more pin!

And, the one more pin was just added . . .

GameRoom1 (resized).JPG
    GameRoom2 (resized).JPG

#66 2 years ago

Nice looking games room/media room area. It looks great and the way you have gotten the roof painted looks bloody awesome!

Nice line up of pins too!

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Sure. Ballpark, it was about $20k not counting the cost of furniture. That's less than the cost of a Magic Girl. It was about a 4-5 week job.

Not bad! Bet you're stoked to have it done and be able to enjoy the lineup!

#68 2 years ago

Looks great so far. One thing to consider would be some inexpensive signage to highlight your new space. I recently picked up these rather inexpensive ($40) I think LED signs for a similar barely lit stairwell like yours. They hang up easy and since they are LED and battery powered you don't have to run wires. I think they really bring a nice accent to a boring hall of stairs. Just a thought.

IMG_7778 (resized).JPG

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

Nice looking games room/media room area. It looks great and the way you have gotten the roof painted looks bloody awesome!
    Nice line up of pins too!

Thanks. Yeah, doing the ceiling matte black was a great choice for this space. I'm really happy with it.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks great so far. One thing to consider would be some inexpensive signage to highlight your new space. I recently picked up these rather inexpensive ($40) I think LED signs for a similar barely lit stairwell like yours. They hang up easy and since they are LED and battery powered you don't have to run wires. I think they really bring a nice accent to a boring hall of stairs. Just a thought.

We definitely need some wall decorations. I saw those signs and love them, but the way they mount doesn't work for us. I like what you did with hanging them in the stairway. It would prevent me from getting pins down, however, unless they come on and off really easily.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Hobby lobby has some of those!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 315.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 18.95
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside