Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by arcyallen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you like?”

• TMNT premium 14 votes
      52%
    • Alien Ripley 13 votes
      48%

(27 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

iliketurtles-turtles (resized).png
    #1 19 days ago

I’m not sure if I should or can even make it work, but I’ve got to thinking about a new pin.

I haven’t played Jaws yet but it’s just come out and I’m sure it’ll be available for a long time so I’m not going to worry about it now.

I just got to wonder about TMNT because I like Dwight’s code on so many games. I’m a happy owner of SW, Venom and GoT. It seems like Turtles is another one that he’s put a lot into. I’ve played Turtles a bit on location but didn’t really get the feel of it because I wasn’t really playing to the game rules which I don’t usually get into until I own a game.

The other game I’m looking at would be Alien Ripley which I’ve never seen but I’ve played other Alien pins. I’m also on the fence about the gameplay.

I’d love to hear what people think about these two particular games which is more fun or interesting code etc.

Thanks.

#2 19 days ago

I played turtles at league a handful of times before it was yanked and could not figure out the scoring at all. I would think that’s a game you would need at home but it was very frustrating to a lot of players. I really enjoyed Alien and is one of my favorite pins. Had it for a year and a half and was a perfect compliment to a lineup of Sterns. It’s hard to beat in a home setting if your into the atmosphere of a game.

#3 19 days ago

Turtles its the worst modern stern, dare I say even worse than WWE? Maybe

#4 19 days ago

Well this is a HARD pass on both....but I guess I'd pick...fuck I don't knowm Turtles?

Turtles is the least enjoyable Dwight or Borg game I can think of. It has a bit of charm to it but it's a ball buster & the under the flipper shot is the only rewarding shot.

Alien is a boat (only played OG version not PB). Kind of makes sense but seems like a modern day Space Invaders reboot. Big, boring, not a ton of fun.
    But is has a lit of movie clips in it so um....yeah.

#5 19 days ago

If either theme is speaking to you, I’d choose that one. I’m a huge tmnt fan so that was an easy decision. After reading the negative comments about it, I questioned if I needed the game even though it is a top 3 theme for me. I played a pro in the wild and had a blast. Yes, the game is a bit more difficult than it should be, but you want to keep hitting he start button. I ended up going all in with a premium at these really discounted prices and I couldn’t be happier. I can see how some don’t like it, but most tmnt fans probably will, especially with the 1987 code installed. I’m not an alien fan and haven’t played the game, so I can only comment on tmnt. Also, watching several YouTube channels talk about how fun tmnt was helped sell me. It did take me a few days to get the love for it, but once it clicked I was very happy with my decision.

#6 19 days ago

I would go Alien, far more depth and code. Had a Turtles premium for less then a year and it got stale fairly quick. The main multiball is the TMNT theme playing with a van animation on repeat over and over while you hit random jackpot shots. No story elements at all in the multiballs (sure for the main modes). The training mode hook is neat, probably my favorite part of the game.

#7 19 days ago

Those are two super different pins. TMNT Pro was great at home, but I did not like the Premium at all. I think more of the ball path was obstructed and I didn't care for it. As for Alien, I'm on the fence for getting one too.

#8 19 days ago

I have a TMNT Pro, and I've really enjoyed it having it in my collection, but I've probably got CTE from decades of action sports, so take that with a grain of salt. I really like the modes and code, and have fun progressing through the game to try to get to Final Battle (which I've done a few times) or Cowabunga (which I've done once). The ability to play Co-Op in various ways VS or as a team in TMNT is also a great feature that guests to my gameroom really dig. WHY DON'T MORE PINS HAVE THIS? I'm looking at you SW and Dwight.

I got off on a bad foot with Alien, having to install the Alien mech in the VFW Pinball Museum's example from Heighway. The Alien mech shipped after the pin arrived at the VFW facility for some strange reason. So that whole deal took the shine off Alien for me. After it was all together and functioning, I just didn't find it as fun as a lot of more modern pins, but hey, if you're an Alien super fan you might just love it. I also liked the screen in the playfield of the Heighway version more than the newer non-screen version from Pinball Brothers, but that screen cover was a biotch to level well, so I get why they'd want to remove it.

#9 19 days ago

I love Alien, it’s bolted. Super immersive, awesome code. I haven’t played a lot of Turtles, but my experience is similar: not sure what to do, and the game is super brutal.

#10 19 days ago

Turtles. Alien= tech issues

#11 19 days ago

I have owned both. Actually traded a TMNT Premium for an Alien Ripley Edition. Turtles is not a bad game, but you have to look at your current line-up and ask if it's what you really want. I had 3 Sterns so there was variety to some degree, but they all played fairly similar. I wanted to diversify my line-up so I gladly picked up a Ripley. I do love the theme as it's one of my favorites. All games can break as it's a steel ball smashing against things, but Alien will be with me for the long haul.

#12 19 days ago
    iliketurtles-turtles (resized).pngiliketurtles-turtles (resized).png
    #13 18 days ago

I’m thinking about adding AIQ premium to the list as there’s one at a good price nearby.

How does AIQ compare with Alien or Turtles?

#14 18 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m thinking about adding AIQ premium to the list as there’s one at a good price nearby.

Well it shots 1000x smoother than either for sure. It's a lot moe forgiving than TMNT. You really heed to look into the rules first before they turn a lot of folks off...but I think they're great

#15 18 days ago

Alien for sure. Fantastic pin

#16 18 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

look into the rules first before they turn a lot of folks off...but I think they're great

I like complex code it’s just a question if I’m good enough too finish the modes. I usually play it on location and hard to collect the gems.

Is there any menu options to make the quests any easier??

If I owned it I’d be able to practice each mode, when I play on location I’m kind of flying by the seat of my pants.

#17 18 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

Is there any menu options to make the quests any easier??

Hmmm, I'll check but I would assume so.

#18 18 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love my AIQ Pro. It's waaaay better than I thought it'd be. It's an excellent layout and a great shooter. As for the rules, they -can- be ridiculously deep but the good news is you can get a ton of fun out of it while not trying to utilize every single detail and strategy.

#19 18 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

Nope. Don't do it. Rules and sound/picture package are the reason for the low AIQ prices, and it's HARD to move with anything more than a giveaway.

The benefit of TMNT is it's a screaming deal with a lot of dealers wanting to move it, and not so expensive on the used market, either. But don't get the Premium. That stupid choice to use a slow, fragile servo for the Prem/LE diverter killed it. Should have been a Shadow-style coil-driven diverter.

TMNT is very hard, but the co-op mode is a blast. If you have a pinball family, I think you'll like it for that mode alone. The fact that very few pins have co-op currently makes that stand out in a home lineup.

#20 17 days ago

I owned AIQ and TMNT, and I currently own Alien RV.

My personal opinion/experience:
    AIQ-was fun early on but I got frustrated with the endless rules...I just wanted to play without planning out the next 50 shots and have jewels taken away if I didn't do something correctly. (You can find a used one pretty cheap for a reason)
    TMNT-great theme, music, animations, but it was very fast and I had a tough time making some of the ramp shots because of the ball speed.
    Alien RV-solid machine, great sound, many shots and modes, great multiballs, and one of my favorite themes of all time. So far in a month, I've fixed a few minor issues but the new builds seem to be more reliable than the original version.
    Good luck deciding!

#21 17 days ago
    Quoted from billsgto:

I owned AIQ and TMNT, and I currently own Alien RV.
    My personal opinion/experience:
    AIQ-was fun early on but I got frustrated with the endless rules...I just wanted to play without planning out the next 50 shots and have jewels taken away if I didn't do something correctly. (You can find a used one pretty cheap for a reason)
    TMNT-great theme, music, animations, but it was very fast and I had a tough time making some of the ramp shots because of the ball speed.
    Alien RV-solid machine, great sound, many shots and modes, great multiballs, and one of my favorite themes of all time. So far in a month, I've fixed a few minor issues but the new builds seem to be more reliable than the original version.
    Good luck deciding!

Thanks for the advice!

I can understand why games are cheaper on the secondary market, those also seem to be harder to sell. I had a Haggis Fathom beautiful pin but I didn’t click with it and everyone else was selling theirs also so the market took a big bite out of the price.

It does seem like the new Alien is starting out cheaper than typical so maybe it won’t tank as bad at resale.

AIQ and Turtles seem to be cheap at the moment but I’m sure not easy to sell if I don’t like them.

#22 17 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

AIQ and Turtles seem to be cheap at the moment but I’m sure not easy to sell if I don’t like them.

If you buy it "cheap", you should be able I sell it cheap. That's the beauty - just buy one, and if you don't like it sell it. Just don't overpay and you'll likely be fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-options-regarding-tmnt-v-alien-pinball- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.