(Topic ID: 108871)

Advice on what requires more maint?

By hool10

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Recently a friend of mine is selling some of his machines and I would like to know which of these machines require the most amount of maintenance. If possible too I would like to know how hard it is finding parts for some of these games. The games are:

Star Trek 1978
Granada 1972
Eight Ball 1977
Soccer 1975
Space Mission 1976

My house/budget can only have 1 (which sucks, haha). I'm stuck on Granada/Star Trek/Space Mission but I know the moving center target on Space Mission must be a bitch to maintain and Granada is rare which means hard to find parts.

#2 9 years ago

On 30 to 40 year old games, I think where you're starting from regarding the machines condition is way more relevant than outright maintenance.

If you've played them all and can only have one machine, pick the one you like to play the most. Thats way more important.

#3 9 years ago

TOK is right about gameplay, but as far as your specific question on maintenance goes, I would recommend the Bally solid state games, Star Trek and Eight ball. There's less moving parts on solid state games. They made many titles in this era that use the same parts, and the production runs for these titles are huge. As far as running parts go, easy to find or substitute. They are also fairly easy to troubleshoot. There's also upgraded aftermarket replacement boards available.

I'm not sure if you have the date wrong or what, but the Eight Ball 1984 date is confusing me. You might check http://www.ipdb.org to be certain which game you are referring to.

Bally Eight Ball 1977
Bally Eight Ball Deluxe 1982
Bally Eight Ball Champ 1985

#4 9 years ago

EMs will require more tinkering than SS games. However (my opinion) EMs are easier to troubleshoot because issues can usually be tracked down to a switch not closing.

But get whichever game you enjoy the most and learn to work on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-what-requires-more-maint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.