Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
.250 Male and Female (resized).jpg
10E3829A-5A36-4792-B06D-52CB13633F1E (resized).jpeg
188B47CF-6A6B-4306-AEEF-5EA86CC08AE4 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Ok so while installing some mods I acidently pulls my maiden playfiled past the rails and snapped off this coil lug I have ordered a new coil , there is not a ton of slack in the wire should I cut these or desolder ? I’m not a great solderer .

10E3829A-5A36-4792-B06D-52CB13633F1E (resized).jpeg10E3829A-5A36-4792-B06D-52CB13633F1E (resized).jpeg188B47CF-6A6B-4306-AEEF-5EA86CC08AE4 (resized).jpeg188B47CF-6A6B-4306-AEEF-5EA86CC08AE4 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

I’d cut them and put spade connectors on them, easier in the future should you ever need to replace it again.

#3 5 years ago

Yea I was thinking of doing that .. any idea what size ? Guess I can buy assortment ... they should just do them like that at the factory My NGG is like that .

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I’m not a great solderer .

Nobody was. We sat at a table or work bench and learned to flow solder, then moved onto expensive things.

Youtube is littered with short how to videos like this :

Or this -

or search for one you like.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

.. any idea what size ?

I believe you want 0.187"

#6 5 years ago

Most common in my parts is Quarter Inch---1/4.... = .250 Male and Female slide connectors-( Non politically correct nowadays is spade connectors)

.250 Male and Female (resized).jpg.250 Male and Female (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

Yes, cut the wires and crimp on spade connectors for future ease of replacement (I am also fairly sure 0.187” is what you want - DumbAss is, in fact, NOT a dumbass).

Follow LTG’s advice for learning to solder. I’d further recommend that you invest in a decent quality temp-controlled soldering station (if you can swing $100, the Hakko FX-888 is highly recommended and might be all you ever need) and a selection of 3-4 tip sizes (0.8mm, 1.2mm, 2.4mm, and 3.2mm chisel tips are sufficient for most any pinball repairs other than SMT reworking). Start with a temp setting of 325C (resist the temptation to set the temp too low because it will take longer to make the connection and is actually a higher risk to damage the component being soldered than a higher temp for shorter duration).

Get some QUALITY 0.032” 63/37 Sn/Pb rosin-core solder (Kester “44” is about all I ever use). Rosin is derived from pine sap and contains abiatic acid which undergoes a heat-catalyzed reducing reaction with surface oxides, cleaning them from the metal and allowing the solder to wet/alloy with the parts being joined. I recommend against water-soluble fluxes because they MUST be thoroughly cleaned from the joints after soldering. I also advise against learning with Pb-free alloys as they require a higher temp and are more difficult to work with and achieve a solid connection. 63/37 is a little easier and quicker to flow than 60/40 because it is a eutectic alloy (has a specific melting point rather than melting range); the only disadvantage is that the connections are slightly less physically robust than with 60/40, but I’ve never encountered this as a problem in my games/other stuff.

Watch a video or two, then go to town practicing on junk circuit boards, wire scraps, etc. When you get a little confidence, assemble a reasonably simple kit or two, and if you are successful you can then feel confident about working on your games. (I recommend Elenco and Velleman kits, as they have excellent build instructions and PCB quality and a wide selection of kits); a couple of specific selections which will be useful finished products:

Bench Power Supply (https://www.electronickits.com/bench-acdc-power-supply-kit) - will give good experience with both point-to-point and PCB soldering, as well as skills like heatsink prep and assembly, and works well as a bench PS.

Digital Multimeter (https://www.electronickits.com/digital-multimeter-kit-training-course) - great educational build manual, and everyone needs a decent meter with the functions this one has.

#8 5 years ago

Cant tell exactly from the photo but it doesn't appear the wire nor the coil wire (red) was actually broken. Looks like only the plastic corner was broke off with wires in tact. Only a question Not a suggestion but couldn't he simply super glue the plastic corner back on as long as the wires are good?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

couldn't he simply super glue the plastic corner back on as long as the wires are good?

Yes. Don't know if it will last with the pounding of the plunger.

#10 5 years ago

I used a dab of hot glue in the past, has about the same colour and holds pretty good.

#11 5 years ago

Sadly the copper wire did detach.. I was able to temporarily re-attach but it didn’t hold . I will def practice my soldering .. I will say I did once create an iron man EL-whiplash mode which required me to solder a voltage regulator and small resitor so there is hope! I do need a way better iron , I will look into that one . Are butane ones good as a spare for hard to reach places, or too much exhaust .

Also can anyone recommend a good crimper if I go this route ?

I will practice soldering and de soldering the old coil when I pull it out . Maybe I will even repair it for fun

Thanks all !

#12 5 years ago

Oh PS one of the wires is two wires .. I assume this Should still crimp ok? I will practice some crimping too haha

#13 5 years ago

I think the game is now ruined and you should throw it away. Lol.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Davedigger:

I think the game is now ruined and you should throw it away. Lol.

Good idea , I was gonna let you have it but trash man just came

#15 5 years ago

It’s got a busted coil.... totally useless

#16 5 years ago

Get a new coil. It will do two things. Fix your problem, and teach you to solder.

#17 5 years ago

Coil is ordered ... now let’s not let this silliness detract from my crimping question above

#18 5 years ago

You recommend the heat shrink spade connectors or regular, seems they require different crimpers. ?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

now let’s not let this silliness detract from my crimping question above

Well now where is the fun in that ?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ Ed has all you need. Find crimpers there for every price range.

#21 5 years ago

Ok I have what I need last remaining question is if you guys recommend the nylon or heat shrink connectors ?

#22 5 years ago

Neither. You don’t need interconnects. The coil wiring will still fail the same...

#23 5 years ago

Seems the spade connectors have those two varieties ? And require diff crimpers .

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Seems the spade connectors have those two varieties ? And require diff crimpers .

Please forgive me for pointing this out. The time you spend researching this. Figuring what you need. Ordering parts. etc. etc.

You could have sat at a table for 5 minutes and learned to solder better. Heat joint, touch solder to joint, watch it flow. Done.

#26 5 years ago

lol don’t worry I plan to practice soldering too .. need to get new iron or at least a new tip !! I will be moving soon to a home with a basement I’ll setup a workshop

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

lol don’t worry I plan to practice soldering too .. need to get new iron or at least a new tip !! I will be moving soon to a home with a basement I’ll setup a workshop

No matter how cheap your iron is. If it heats up, it will work for this job.

#28 5 years ago

It’s pretty bad and has a tiny oxidized tip ... I’m sure it will work but not well

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

tiny oxidized tip

That is what files are for. Retin the tip after you file it.

Quicker than learning crimping, if you had the tool and connector.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please forgive me for pointing this out. The time you spend researching this. Figuring what you need. Ordering parts. etc. etc.
You could have sat at a table for 5 minutes and learned to solder better. Heat joint, touch solder to joint, watch it flow. Done.

No, don't ask for forgiveness. This is pure truth. If you're going to own pinball machines, you need to know how to solder. It's like playing basketball without knowing how to dribble or shoot.

Bite the bullet, practice some, and learn a basic skill of this hobby. As stated, at least hundreds of videos on this. Get some "solder flux" to help you at first, and with time, you'll get the hang of it, and it will become second nature.

#31 5 years ago

I can definitely do some basic soldering no worries Had a bunch of folks recommend the spade connectors so that’s why I was looking into it . I do want to get a wider tip as I think that’s better for wired / terminals . Also some
Better solder . I am quite confident I can pull off either option that said I want to get better and also get a crimper as both will come in handy in the future ! Since this is a brand new game want to do it we clean and nice as possible .

#32 5 years ago

Coil is here don’t think I’ll have good luck with the spade on one of these lugs .. also no holes guess I just wrap the wire around it ?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Coil is here don’t think I’ll have good luck with the spade on one of these lugs .. also no holes guess I just wrap the wire around it ?
[quoted image]

No. Tin the wire (put solder on it), then attach the wire to the lug. It doesn’t need to go through the tab holes. But there are holes in those tabs.

#34 5 years ago

Oh ok, are they just filled with solder ? Ill get her done tonight

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Oh ok, are they just filled with solder ? Ill get her done tonight

Yep. You can see the indentations if you look close. Heat that up and it will reveal the hole.

#36 5 years ago

All this solder talk is making me want to solder something

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nobody was. We sat at a table or work bench and learned to flow solder, then moved onto expensive things.
Youtube is littered with short how to videos like this :
Or this - or search for one you like.

Or go to SS Billiards and get trained by the best.

#38 5 years ago

Haha yes I am going to be soldering a bunch of stuff just for the heck of it !

#39 5 years ago

Could always strip the wire, tie and solder extra wire to that one (for more slack), and then place shrink tubing over the exposed wire part! Then just solder the now longer wire you have to the new lug. Good luck, dude

#40 5 years ago

Back in business, I can def use some practice but she is up and running. I used a wider tip that helped a ton!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-soldering-flipper-coil?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.