Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210723_003502527.MP (resized).jpg
    IMG_3135 2 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

Hello!

This weekend I took a gamble and bid on a Chicago Coin company Shuffle Bowler in a local estate auction. So now I have this thing in my garage (can't get it in the house) and am looking for an expert appraisal of what I have on my hand to both help me assess if I want to take the time, effort and cash to restore it, or pass it along. It turns on and loads a game fine, but something is up with the pin setter where it just kind of constantly runs, and when I hit the switches on the lane the pins go up for a second and then immediately drop. A ton of lamps are burned out so no idea if it is counting frames correctly, and the reels are sticking.

I didn't pay much for it, so if it's a lost cause, so be it, but would love to find an expert locally (I'm in Falls Church, VA) who I could have come take a look, and give me an honest assessment of what my next steps are. I am happy to restore, find it a good home, since my garage probably isn't that, but need to know where to start.

IMG_3135 2 (resized).JPGIMG_3135 2 (resized).JPG
    #2 1 year ago

Unfortunately, these don't bring much money, working or not. I picked up one 2 years ago for nothing.. it was filthy and not working. A 6 player game has a lot of parts to clean and free up. There is probably more hours than money to make it work if you do it yourself. I was able to get it running and have been playing it ever since. Mine lives in the garage, so it doesn't get played much in the winter, but the rest of the year its played a lot. Its been awhile, but I did have the pin motor constantly running on mine, and there is a switch that is supposed to stop it. I had a few broken wires/bad solder in places, so the first thing to do is get some good lighting and check all the switches and wire connections. Operate the steppers by pushing the plungers and make sure things move freely.

PXL_20210723_003502527.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_003502527.MP (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

Congrats on your find! It seems like the value on shuffle bowls vary widely based on condition, game play and the local market. The ones made in the 50s have the classic styling but the later games in the 60s and 70s generally have regulation scoring and other game features not found on some of the earlier games.

I think the main reason the values vary so much is same reason yours is in your garage. They take up a lot of real estate in a game room and so the pool of buyers tends to be small. I’ve been getting creative with my game room over the last few months (painters tape on the floor and all) trying to figure out how to make one work. I would love to find a nice original 50s shuffle alley.

In any case, there have been other threads where people found games like yours for free or super cheap and invested the time into them. Haven’t seen one yet who said it wasn’t worth it. Most brag on how it’s the most popular game in their lineup. If it was complete and unmolested, I would have a hard time not digging into it. Very few games in this hobby are “investment grade”.

Good luck!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Egroegynnek:

but something is up with the pin setter where it just kind of constantly runs,

Under the Pin Hood is the Pin Reset Relay. Check if that's continuously energized.
    If not, running off of the Pin Reset motor cam is the run-out switch which should
    open after the motor finishes its reset revolution. Make sure those set of switches
    are opening when the lower switch drops into the cam's notch.
    If all looks okay, the motor may be over running itself. You'll want to make sure
    the motor's armature pushes in and springs back out freely. On C.C. Ball Bowlers,
    the cam has a spring to prevent it's momentum to over-ride the run-out switch.
    I'm pretty sure your machine should have this spring also. You'll want to check
    if a spring is on the cam, and if not, check if there's (kinda like) a hook where a
    spring could/would be attached..

#5 1 year ago

I like my puck bowler. My basement line-up allows me to fit it in.

With that being an EM, a good clean-up should get you operational. Because of the space it takes up, it would be hard to put a value on it.

#6 1 year ago

As others said shuffle bowlers don't demand high prices. Em games seem to be in the 600-1000ish range and the solid state games 1000-1800 range. Some specific games are more desirable and will get higher prices, and condition is a big factor too of course.

The shuffle bowlers are great fun, especially when you have multiple players.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for all of the support. Bones of the machine are in good order, cabinet is is good shape, as are the glasses and the lane. All of the EM components are there just a little rusty and as mentioned probably a few sticking switches and relays to go through as well as the reels are sticking. When I opened it up, lots of mouse droppings so I am also assuming that I will find some chewed up wire, since it's all cloth insulation.

The game looks fun though and has a mode called "Beer Frame" I haven't had any luck finding a schematic or any documentation on this specific game which will make testing it tricky since I have no idea what switches do what, but hopefully if I can get the pin reset relay working properly, I can figure all that out.

I will update as I know more

#8 1 year ago

You should be able to get the shuffle alley in your house as they usually come apart fairly easily. I'm not familiar with your specific model but often the head comes off after unplugging the connectors, then the pin bank comes off, and finally the alley comes apart from the base. Legs can come off or not as needed. Each section is usually mounted with 3 or 4 bolts similar to an em pinball head.

I've moved many alleys up and down stairwells with much less issue than late model pinballs or video games. No need to leave it in your garage (which won't do it any favors) unless you physically don't have any room in your basement for it.

#9 1 year ago

If you have the space, its worth getting it running. They are loads of fun. I've had a few games with mouse crap in them and have been fortunate enough to not have any chewed up wires. I had a whole game of coil wrappers get eaten, but no wires.

For the different game modes, here is a brief explanation since I had the same questions a year or 2 ago..

Keep striking - if you get a strike, you keep shooting in the same frame until you don't strike.
    Super Frame- At certain frames, super frame lights up. I think a strike when that is lit gives a bonus score
    Beer frame - its not as exciting as it sounds. Basically, one of the frames the "beer Frame" light comes on and who ever wins the frame is supposed to buy a round of beers.
    Flash- lights across the lane light up. The light stops moving when the puck hits the back switches. If a strike (or spare I think) is scored, you get the points in the light.
    Dual flash - If you don't get a strike on the first shot, the lights start flashing again and a spare will give the lit value.

Dual flash is my favorite.

When it comes time to work on it and ask for help, I had better support in the EM arcade page over this page.

#10 1 year ago

Sadly, my basement height limits me from getting inside so even if I can get it apart, it is stuck in the garage for the time being. My basement ceiling come in at 75" so I can squeeze a standard pin without a topper down there, but this sits about 4 inches too tall!

#11 1 year ago

I had to take the handrail going down into the basement off. The playfield was one long 14' section. It went from the door then down and over the steps. It is simple, fun and a good addition to my setup.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Egroegynnek:

Sadly, my basement height limits me from getting inside so even if I can get it apart, it is stuck in the garage for the time being. My basement ceiling come in at 75" so I can squeeze a standard pin without a topper down there, but this sits about 4 inches too tall!

Same reason mine is set up in the garage. I'd loose the space of 4 pins if I brought it down. Plus the thought of carrying it back out when I don't want it anymore was the final straw. My cars don't fit in the garage anyway, so if this wasn't there it would only be filled with other garbage. It will stay there until someone wants it more than me.

#13 1 year ago

Can you set up the head so it's located between joists? Maybe cheat an extra inch of free clearance by taking of any leg levelers.

#14 1 year ago

Wish I could, but ceiling down there is drywall, and I'm not at the point where I would be willing to hack at finished work to make that happen. I would want to confirm that I can get the thing running first and that family enjoys playing it. Its been cold and soggy here, not enjoyable for being outside, but am hoping that this weekend when it's a bit nicer I can get all the turds cleaned out of it and take a closer look at the pin mech and see if I can get it functioning for the most part.

Next investment will be lamps, since 75% are burned out. There are 3 florescent tubes approx 90 #47 bayonet lamps, and two red incandescent bulbs. Thinking of shopping with LEDs so that I don't have to worry about it again, but that will add up.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Egroegynnek:

Wish I could, but ceiling down there is drywall, and I'm not at the point where I would be willing to hack at finished work to make that happen. I would want to confirm that I can get the thing running first and that family enjoys playing it. Its been cold and soggy here, not enjoyable for being outside, but am hoping that this weekend when it's a bit nicer I can get all the turds cleaned out of it and take a closer look at the pin mech and see if I can get it functioning for the most part.
    Next investment will be lamps, since 75% are burned out. There are 3 florescent tubes approx 90 #47 bayonet lamps, and two red incandescent bulbs. Thinking of shopping with LEDs so that I don't have to worry about it again, but that will add up.

The tubes in my backglass were still working. I did replace the 47's with LED's. I also put red LED in the strike lights and green for the spare lights and game over. The light fixture in my pin bank was shot, so I bought a cheap under cabinet light and mounted it in its place. On the alley, I replaced the bulbs with LEDs and for the 2 center arrow lights I put the comet dual flexible amber lights.

#16 1 year ago

marco specialties has the schematic for chicago coin americana.

other shuffle bowlers made around 1968 are probably similar, so anyone with paperwork for those games can likely help ya out with specific problems.

the game won't reset properly if the score reels don't zero, so you want to get at least the player 1 score reels working well and manually get the other players reels to zero if necessary. Don't do multiplayer until the games work for 1 player.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-shuffle-bowler?hl=bubbak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.