5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Tomass
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Looking for some info on how to go about getting a game shipped to Alaska. Options are very limited up here and I am looking to get a couple projects shipped up. I am guessing that if 2 were to fit on 1 pallet, shipping would be about the same as 1? Also, who would I contact to get a quote, assuming the seller would be willing to ship? Not sure how it all works; do they pass it off from one carrier to another to get to AK? I have heard of people getting games up here for 400 - 600ish, but not sure that is right. Thanks for any help on this. I would be looking at project system 11's more than likely so I think 2 will go onto a pallet.

#2 5 years ago

Most of this was posted in earlier thread here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-have-any-pinball-shipping-to-ak-advice but I've updated below.

Fastenal might be a good option, but word through the grapevine (unconfirmed) is that they recently stopped offering this service to Alaska. My personal experience is that from anywhere away from the west coast YRC is a good option. I've consistently been quoted ≈$400-500 from the east coast and ≈$300-400 from the west coast by them. There are many more options from the west coast, especially the Seattle area. Most recently I shipped a game with American Fast Freight from Seattle and they offered about the same pricing as YRC, but are a bit better at handling the Alaska side of things imho. Lynden and Carlile are options from the Seattle/Tacoma area as well, but I've found their rates somewhat higher than YRC, or AFF and they're a little less user friendly if you're not familiar with the shipping biz. Air freight via Alaska Air Cargo can be a reasonable option, especially from the Seattle area. For this, you will need a known shipper number with the TSA(takes about a month to get one) and is more expensive, but you will get your games within a matter of days, as opposed to weeks. Also, I would recommend that if you don't have access to a forklift or loading dock you should have your shipment held for pick up at the terminal in Anchorage, that way you'll save on delivery and liftgate charges.

Also, one word of caution about shipping is to be sure that the whoever is providing the quote correctly classifies your freight per NMFC, since this is what will make the most difference in how much it costs and if improperly classified can sometimes result in additional charges being added at the terminal. Like you said, if you can get them packed two per pallet you should get a somewhat better rate than one per pallet.

Good luck with this, would be great to see more games make their way up here!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ak_tilt:

Most of this was posted in earlier thread here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-have-any-pinball-shipping-to-ak-advice but I've updated below.
    Fastenal might be a good option, but word through the grapevine (unconfirmed) is that they recently stopped offering this service to Alaska. My personal experience is that from anywhere away from the west coast YRC is a good option. I've consistently been quoted ≈$400-500 from the east coast and ≈$300-400 from the west coast by them. There are many more options from the west coast, especially the Seattle area. Most recently I shipped a game with American Fast Freight from Seattle and they offered about the same pricing as YRC, but are a bit better at handling the Alaska side of things imho. Lynden and Carlile are options from the Seattle/Tacoma area as well, but I've found their rates somewhat higher than YRC, or AFF and they're a little less user friendly if you're not familiar with the shipping biz. Air freight via Alaska Air Cargo can be a reasonable option, especially from the Seattle area. For this, you will need a known shipper number with the TSA(takes about a month to get one) and is more expensive, but you will get your games within a matter of days, as opposed to weeks. Also, I would recommend that if you don't have access to a forklift or loading dock you should have your shipment held for pick up at the terminal in Anchorage, that way you'll save on delivery and liftgate charges.
    Also, one word of caution about shipping is to be sure that the whoever is providing the quote correctly classifies your freight per NMFC, since this is what will make the most difference in how much it costs and if improperly classified can sometimes result in additional charges being added at the terminal. Like you said, if you can get them packed two per pallet you should get a somewhat better rate than one per pallet.
    Good luck with this, would be great to see more games make their way up here!

Thank you for sharing, Max.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-shipping-to-ak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.