Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Parzival
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

While I have purchased 19 pins through various means, I have never sold one. I have created a self-imposed limit on pins and require that I sell a number and dollar value of pins equal to any I wish to have before purchasing. As I plan to get the new JJP Pirates of the Caribbean LE and a Star Wars Pro and it looks like DP may actually pull this off and I could get The Big Lebowski that I have a deposit on, I need to sell at least 3 pins and get at least $25,000 total for pins I sell. In my collection I have identified 9 pins that I would be willing to sell (with a spectrum of eagerness). Most of them are basically good player's condition pins and I have already worked out some deals locally for some of them that hopefully won't fall through. I plan to list the others on Pinside, Craigslist, eBay soon.

Sorry for all of the back story. Here is the question.

My Spider-Man is in what I would say is fair to poor, not fully functioning condition. I unfortunately bought it from an online auction for $4600 when I was early in the hobby (I'm still early, but earlier), stupid and didn't know about Pinside. It showed up dirty and with various problems that a more knowledgeable friend was able to help me "fix" with varying degrees of success. You can "play" it but everything doesn't function perfectly. Sometimes Sandman's target bank doesn't come up when it should. Sometimes his VUK doesn't work. The right flipper doesn't "hold" strong and a falling ball can knock it down. It is complete other than a top missing off one pop bumper and a large chip out of the clear plastic in front of Sandman. An even more knowledgeable guy told me that it needs an entirely new main board or various things will continue to go wrong.

I have relegated myself to the fact that I will lose on this deal due to my stupidity. I consider my time very important and don't have the knowledge or time to replace, clean and fix everything that needs so on this pin. I also value my reputation on Pinside marketplace highly and have no desire to rip someone off (even if sold outside of Pinside). I just want it to be a fair deal. My mistake is my responsibility.

Alright, still no question...here it is.

I am trying to decide how I go about selling this. The options I have thought of are as follows.

1. Do I try to hire someone to replace, clean and fix the things that need fixing and make it a good player's condition pin before selling? I am hesitant to do this because of the time and expense involved which the buyer may not want to pay for what I had to pay to have someone else do it when they could do it for cheaper themselves and I potentially lose even more money on the sale and delay it further. And I know many of you enjoy restoring games. Also, the person I hire could do a crappy job.

2. Do I just thoroughly document all of the problems I am aware of in my ad along with a ton of pictures for full disclosure? I am leaning towards this as it seems to potentially be the way to lose the least money wise and to make the sale happen sooner so I can get to buying my other pins. My concern is if I miss something important or the problem is bigger than anticipated and the buyer feels ripped off. Ideally they would come and check it out themselves but I am not really in an area with a ton of buyers.

Any other options? Any advice on how to fairly come up with a value for the crappy Spider-Man?

Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Sometimes Sandman's target bank doesn't come up when it should. Sometimes his VUK doesn't work. The right flipper doesn't "hold" strong and a falling ball can knock it down. It is complete other than a top missing off one pop bumper and a large chip out of the clear plastic in front of Sandman. An even more knowledgeable guy told me that it needs an entirely new main board or various things will continue to go wrong.

Sorry to hear about your Auction Spider man . I think some of the issues you describe may be fixed with out a board repair.
I c would call Clive he has helped me more than once if a board needs to be sent in describe your issues on the phone see what he says. That would be my first step.
http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/brepairs.html

#3 6 years ago

Other than the potential issue with a lack of local buyers, I think your second option is the way to go.
You won't get back the money you put into upgrades and repairs, even assuming you can make correct repairs. You might accidentally make some things worse doing repairs that you are not familiar with.
Ideally, you would have a buyer examine the game in person when they buy it.
Seems like you are intent on being open about the issues, and hopefully even a long distance buyer would understand that buying a game with issues is always a bit of a gamble.

#4 6 years ago

I know this won’t be popular, but if you have an established ebay account I would do a no reserve, 7 day auction starting at .99 cents. That will get you interest and bids. I’ve never been to concerned when I do this as pinball auctions get lots of viewers. In my experience the 10% sales fee will be offset by a higher price do to more visibility and more potential buyers. I’ve sold plenty of pins that way and will probably do the same in the next week with a pin that isn’t generating much interest locally.

I would obviously consider listing locally or on pinside too, but I think you’ll have a ton of people wanting to kick the tires.

Edit. Just wanted to point out that any ebay auction I would recommend quality HD pictures and full disclosure of any known issues. I usually take video of gameplay and provide a link or embed video.

#5 6 years ago

Great post and I appreciate your candor. I can see a few options depending on how much you want to put into it.

1. Sell it locally only so that the buyer has to come and see it and there are no claims of hiding things etc.

2. Have a quality tech repair and shop it out for you. Locally that could run a few hundred bucks if some expensive parts were needed. I would guess between $200 and $500.

3. Spend a few minutes taking a few dozen pics with your cell phone and a short video. (Suggested minimums below) list it for a really good price. I would say $3500 as is cash and carry. You paid 4800 for a routed Spiderman. IMO, a Spiderman today begins with a 5. Yours is rough and needs work. Take the one grand loss as cost of enjoyment and it will sell quickly.

Pics (with the glass off). Use a decent cell phone camera so people can zoom in.
4 sides of cabinet including head
Whole playfield
Any broken plastics
Shooter (spider has paint on shooter lane that wears)
Doc Ock magnet (paint wear site)
Doc Ock scoop
Playfield up
Short video of boot up including error codes.

Best of luck! I loved my Spiderman as it was my first pinball and it was NIB. I know this game well and agonized over selling it

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

An even more knowledgeable guy told me that it needs an entirely new main board or various things will continue to go wrong.

2. Do I just thoroughly document all of the problems I am aware of in my ad along with a ton of pictures for full disclosure? I am leaning towards this as it seems to potentially be the way to lose the least money wise and to make the sale happen sooner so I can get to buying my other pins. My concern is if I miss something important or the problem is bigger than anticipated and the buyer feels ripped off. Ideally they would come and check it out themselves but I am not really in an area with a ton of buyers.
Any other options? Any advice on how to fairly come up with a value for the crappy Spider-Man?
Thanks in advance.

This guy sounds like the "least" knowledgeable guy to me. Unless the board is burned or has acid damage from leaking batteries, it is probably not the cause of your intermittent problems. Sensors, switches, cleaning, and mechanical adjustments are probably the solution to most of the problems. Replacing the main board is not the solution.

I think your #2 solution is the winner. There are plenty of pinball people with skills looking for a good fixer upper. If you document it well and include pictures, you will find plenty of interest.

Good luck.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! I believe I will try to list it on Craigslist and a local Facebook group first, listing for $4000, and see what happens. If that isn't successful, I'll probably list it here for $4000 OBO with extensive pics and a video. If that is still not successful, I'll probably have to consider either finding someone solid to fix it or go the eBay route.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

...if you have an established ebay account...

I don't thus my concern with eBay and doing a no reserve auction is that I haven't sold anything on eBay before and that could potentially create some very cold feet and hurt my sale significantly.

I know everything will sell for the right price so as long as I am willing to make a deal, I imagine it will sell either locally or here on Pinside.

#8 6 years ago

If you go with option 2, you may severely limit your market and/or have to drop the price further than you like. Simply based on your description I'd be surprised if you can get $4k in its current state.

I would consider option 1 if there is someone local that you know can do the work. Worst case you sell the game for a few hundred more than leaving it unrepaired. Best case you may be able to sell the game without taking as much of a loss.

#9 6 years ago

I would sell as is, especially if $4000 would do it for you. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who don't mind troubleshooting a few problems. Looking through the archives I can't find a single Spider-man in the last year plus that was listed that low. I think your location may limit the options but it's not like people don't pay for shipping pins all the time. A pinside ad is free if the game doesn't sell so you've got nothing to lose by putting it out there. Just my 2 cents!

#10 6 years ago

I’d be interested, but also ordered JJ PoTC LE and have limited space. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-selling-my-first-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.