Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have researched sealing a backglass starting with the guide at pinrepair.com and then have read through various forum posts.

I have a Bally Power Play. I live in California and the machine resides in a garage. Temperature swings are not extreme, but the garage does get hot in the summer. The paint is not currently cracking or peeling on the backglass, but I am wondering if I should seal the glass as a preventative measure?

Is Krylon Triple Thick still the thing to use?

Thanks in advance.

#2 8 years ago

I am also very curious about this. I've been told to use a Krylon spray, but am also wondering what the pro/restoration veterans think.

#3 8 years ago

Haha I misread the title as "advice on STEALING a backglass." Much different thread

#5 8 years ago

There will certainly be a plethora of opinions on this subject. For back glasses I have two opinions... LED's to reduce heat and Krylon Triple Thick for preservation. I have had my best luck coating with Triple Thick at lower ambient temperatures as the Triple Thick likes to crystalize quickly if it is warm out. To minimize the crystallization (note...I also spray right over the score windows), I use two cans of Triple Thick at once. Using two cans enables me to get a single very wet coat down in just one shot.

#6 8 years ago

I heard that Krylon Triple thick in a changing environment will kill that glass. Triple thick is mean to be used on a glass to seal further damage. However, the glass should be inside the home in a more
stable temperature environment.

#7 8 years ago

That is my main concern. If the paint on the glass is currently ok, will sealing it with Triple Thick actually be worse for it in the long run?

Having the machine indoors would be nice, unfortunately that is not going to be happening.

#8 8 years ago

I think that the changing temperature will cause spidering to occur. Triple thick will expand and
contract with the changing temperature which will cause movement of the decal on the glass. Not a good story. If you need to keep it in this environment, try getting a translite print and keep the glass
indoors.

#9 8 years ago

I would leave it alone
the backglass is now 35yo, it has survived temperature variations

why risk tampering with it?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I would leave it alone
the backglass is now 35yo, it has survived temperature variations
why risk tampering with it?

Agreed. Get the backbox GI converted to LED and you will eliminate the risk of the bulb heat causing damage.

Considering the reports we are now seeing on triple thick I would avoid it unless you have a problem.

-Jay

#11 8 years ago

I wouldn't bother doing anything with it.

Ain't broke don't fix it - obey the law.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-sealing-a-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.