Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playboy_SwitchMatrix_Caps.jpg
20200116_172522 (resized).jpg
Playboy_TargetSwitch1.jpg
20200115_161654 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Rank amateur here, looking for some advice of replacing stand up target on 1978 Bally Playboy.

I got some replacement target switches but they don't seem to be exactly the same as the old ones. In the attached photo, you can see that the diode is soldered in two different ways on the replacement (right) vs. the original (left). Assuming this is an ok replacement, where should the wires and the capacitor be soldered onto the new switch?

All help appreciated!

Richard

20200115_161654 (resized).jpg20200115_161654 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The picture below shows how to wire it. You'll need a capacitor (the orange disc looking thing) on the switch, otherwise when you hit the target quickly the game will sometimes not sense it. Better to install new capacitors. Original spec is 0.05uF (but these days we use 0.047uF since 0.05 micro farad capacitors are no longer made).

Playboy_TargetSwitch1.jpgPlayboy_TargetSwitch1.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Thanks a million, Quench, just what I needed!

Richard

#4 4 years ago

oh man, nice! thanks for the pic

#5 4 years ago

Quench - I've come up with another question, if you don't mind. There are six stand up targets on this game and upon closer inspection I find that only the first three in the circuit have caps on them. I would have thought every switch would require them, no?

Further, I see that only two of the three spoon switches in the pop bumpers have caps.

Is this a case of someone having worked on it in the past and not done it correctly or is that normal?

Appreciate the help!

Richard

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from NMRichard:

Is this a case of someone having worked on it in the past and not done it correctly

I'd suspect that. Or cap shorted and they cut it off and didn't replace it.

LTG : )

#7 4 years ago

Looks like that could well be the case, LTG...

20200116_172522 (resized).jpg20200116_172522 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from NMRichard:

There are six stand up targets on this game and upon closer inspection I find that only the first three in the circuit have caps on them. I would have thought every switch would require them, no?

Yes, all six standup targets should have capacitors.
I own a Playboy with caps fitted to the standup targets and every time I hit the targets they register.
Yesterday I played a Playboy at a barcade and half the time I hit the targets they didn't register. Guess why..
Those capacitors often failed so operators just cut them out instead of replacing them.

Note the pop bumpers switches should also have capacitors, otherwise fast hits on them can sometimes miss scoring.

Playboy_SwitchMatrix_Caps.jpgPlayboy_SwitchMatrix_Caps.jpg

#9 4 years ago

Awesome, I'll replace all missing caps.

Curious about something, though. I see the existing caps in my machine are rated at 16V but the schematic indicates the targets are on a 43V circuit. Wouldn't the norm be to use caps with a voltage rating that allowed for some margin of safety above the actual voltage?

Thanks!

#10 4 years ago

Yes it's preferable to use caps with margin in the voltage rating.
The playfield game switches are only on a 5 volt circuit. Having said that the switch wiring does run along solenoid wiring in the harness and picks up some noise from solenoid high voltage spikes. I sometimes wonder if it's the reason so many of those low voltage capacitors fail.

Anyway these days 50 volts is the minimum voltage for ceramic capacitors you can buy. I prefer to use 100 volt caps on the switches when I can.

Note I forgot to mention, the star rollover button switch (where you get extra ball) also needs a capacitor on the switch.

#11 4 years ago

I really appreciate the education, Quench. I think I'm ready to do it now. Thanks a million.

#12 4 years ago

So glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have a galaxy and it too has a ton of switches under the pf with caps and diodes.... but many look cut off. I’ll be checking the manual to see if they list which switches should have diodes and caps!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have a galaxy and it too has a ton of switches under the pf with caps and diodes.... but many look cut off. I’ll be checking the manual to see if they list which switches should have diodes and caps!

All the switches should have diodes - it's a requirement of the switch matrix setup.
Looks like Stern forgot to mark which switches have capacitors in the schematics. I'd suggest the three standup targets on the right, the two "Advance Bonus" star rollover buttons in the middle of the playfield, the "A" star rollover upper right and possibly the three pop bumpers should have capacitors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 10.00
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-replacing-stand-up-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.