New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 250182)

advice on purchasing new

By jagaho11

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Sluggo39
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Have been looking at some older popular pins(top10-15), but for the money they are asking you can buy new pins cheaper or just as cheap. Any down side to purchasing new?
    Jim

#2 1 year ago

The biggest seems to be the ability to "cheaply" repair. As in, the new pins seem to need a $700+ board, not just replacing a transistor.

Smoothness is another concern, I guess. Older B/W vs Stern. JJP is pretty smooth.

Future/Resale value? NIB you'll lose about 1k after you bring it home.

I'm sort of in the same boat.

#3 1 year ago

With older games you know what you are getting. New games lately have had multiple playfield issues, so you may buy it and a month later its cratered like the moon. I have personally been pretty lucky, all of my new in box games have been pretty good, with only some dimples, my wonka does have the clearcoat pooling that has been mentioned in a bunch of other threads, but not as bad as some of theirs.
    Old games have already had any dimples they are going to get.

Older games that are pricey are pricey for a reason, people want them. New games are pricey because they are new. You definately take a hit if you go to resell a game you paid nib price for. Some games more than others, but pros seem to average about 7-800 loss, premiums 6-700 loss. Older games seem to hold value, at least for now

#4 1 year ago

Seems like brand new games are falling apart in the box. Look into some of the clear coat issues many manufacturers are having, not a good time to buy a new game...

#5 1 year ago

I don't know about any downside other than cost and depreciation. Don't forget you might have to pay tax and shipping. I think a lot of the qc issues are blown out of proportions. People generally expect more from a brand new game, especially for premium priced games. Honestly I don't blame anyone for being upset for clear coat issues or node board failures on a $8000-$9000 machine. Ideal situation is to find a good deal on lightly used HUO if you are patient. By then, it will be more clear how widespread any qc issues are and how the code matured.

#6 1 year ago

Just be aware that sometimes there is a drastic difference between the pro and premium versions (AC/DC (Pro) comes to mind). Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the premium version for certain games. It would be a shame to feel some buyer's regret if you realize later you should have splurged for the premium.

#7 1 year ago

I don’t think all pinballs are equal, so to me it’s more about buying a game you want to see in your house.

Used won’t lose much value, the top 10-15 has been fairly constant even the ones that are remade, which to my surprise (although I get it now after having played the remakes) have not lost value.

All new pins end up on the resell market, some faster than others (munsters) and cheaper than olders (munsters again) so if you are not stuck on one specific NIB, I think its worth the wait.

#8 1 year ago

If you buy, sell, and trade machines frequently, I would stick with used machines due to the NIB hit. If you are going to buy it and keep it forever, get a new one if that is what you want. The biggest downside to buying brand new machine that you will keep forever, is the lack of code on some of the new machines. There is a Deadpool LE at the company office that has .86 code on it because no-one has the keys to the backbox to change it. There is a Deadpool Pro at the local arcade with the latest code. The Pro with the latest code is much more fun than the LE with the more basic code.

The way to waste the most money on pinball while having the least fun is to always buy the latest, and sell/trade the second latest before the code has time to mature. If pinball machines don't stay in your house long try and stay at least a year behind the latest release if you want to have the best experience.

With that said, mine are all 90s Bally Williams!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

If you buy, sell, and trade machines frequently, I would stick with used machines due to the NIB hit. If you are going to buy it and keep it forever, get a new one if that is what you want. The biggest downside to buying brand new machine that you will keep forever, is the lack of code on some of the new machines. There is a Deadpool LE at the company office that has .86 code on it because no-one has the keys to the backbox to change it. There is a Deadpool Pro at the local arcade with the latest code. The Pro with the latest code is much more fun than the LE with the more basic code.
    The way to waste the most money on pinball while having the least fun is to always buy the latest, and sell/trade the second latest before the code has time to mature. If pinball machines don't stay in your house long try and stay at least a year behind the latest release if you want to have the best experience.
    With that said, mine are all 90s Bally Williams!

Bro these are not complicated locks, you could pick them easy. Or call a locksmith...

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

There is a Deadpool LE at the company office that has .86 code on it because no-one has the keys to the backbox to change it.

Quoted from Raegor:

Bro these are not complicated locks, you could pick them easy. Or call a locksmith...

Or drill it out in 10 seconds and buy a $5 new lock.

#11 1 year ago

advice on purchasing new - Yea, don't.

#12 1 year ago

If you have never buyed a NIB pinball its worth at least once to try. Nothing beats that brand new smell .. its almost like a new car smell. Its awesome.

10 months later
    #13 3 months ago

Bought a NIB BKSOR at least it was supposed to be. I think got the floor model

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Bought a NIB BKSOR at least it was supposed to be. I think got the floor model

If it was NIB, you should know. It should have been packed like it came from the factory.

#15 3 months ago

Bought from a dealer they delivered it unpacked and did the software updates and setup, I was going through the adjustment menus and the amount of balls played was really high for what I had played thus far. Their was other names already in the machine for high scores and such

#16 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Bought from a dealer they delivered it unpacked and did the software updates and setup, I was going through the adjustment menus and the amount of balls played was really high for what I had played thus far. Their was other names already in the machine for high scores and such

There are default high scores from the factory. Usually names of people that worked on the game.

#17 3 months ago

Good to know thanks

#18 3 months ago

And usually even scores, like 35,500,000. Not 35,788,200.

#19 3 months ago

Delivery insurance isn’t worth anything.
    Purchased a NIB AC/DC from Cointaker delivered with damage on side cabinet, accepted it because it was last of Vault edition.
    Filed a claim just keep getting run around.

Keep that in mind.

#20 3 months ago

Going thru the game audits total plays 981, something is wrong with this

#21 3 months ago

Yeah, that doesn't sound right.

Floor models are great deals, if you get the deal.

Good luck getting straightened out, either with finding a reasonable reason why it's showing so many plays, or getting some discount.

Maybe the seller can chime in here?

#22 3 months ago

Did the NIB once ... that was enough. Unless you have big collection and have enough pinball assets to sell/trade to be constantly adding a NIB to your collection...I just don’t see a good reason to buy new. Someone is always selling something. If you’re the type of person that is afraid of dings, bumps and scratches ... you’ll be constantly disappointed regardless... and spending too much of your money. Better to let someone else get that machine to a point where you can enjoy it without the worry of keeping spanking new... because that’s a fruitless venture with pinball.

#23 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Call the distributor and ask for an explanation. That doesn’t sound NIB.

#24 3 months ago

Talked to distributor the machine is NIB he switched the SD card with his floor model because it had the latest software update. The lifetime games played is 132 which I understand to be like an odometer on a car and can’t be reset. Thanks for the input

#25 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sluggo39:

Stern will repack show games the same as new and send to distributors who should obviously disclose the history and discount. You may want to call or email Stern and ask if it was one of their show/demo games. Doubt they’d be happy about a distributor misrepresenting as new if that’s the case.

#26 3 months ago

People want nib for the turn key experience and thrill...

Save yourself money to but a lightly used game you can inspect and get exactly what you want.

Dont fall for FOMO

#27 3 months ago

I’m not planning on getting rid of the machine so I bought a new premium BKSOR absolutely love this game,so fun. I’m planning on buying 2 more GOTG premium and JP premium for home use only. So making sure this dealer is reputable is very important to me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 35.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 15.00
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.75
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside