(Topic ID: 200776)

Advice on new pinball purchase

By Nickrc3

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

...I recently became a member of the Pinsider community and have learned a tremendous amount of information from the various forums in my preparation to equip our new recreation room for a new pinball machine.
    My purchase choice is among three machines - Stern's AC\DC, KISS or the new revised Attack from Mars. LE models.
    I'm leaning towards the AFMr, for many of the obvious reasons listed by members, however, the music aspect of the Stern's is a plus.
    The extended warranty offer by Chicago Gaming on AFMr, popularity, general game entertainment and the overall aesthetics (especially the topper) will likely be the deciding factor.

I have the following questions and greatly appreciate your response:
    From your experiences, are there any Chicago Gaming or Stern distributors that may be recommended for my purchase?
    Any vendors within Florida? (state sales tax is something to consider)
    Is firm pricing established by the Manufacturer or can selected distributors provide wiggle room (free shipping or other incentives)?
    I understand a deposit is routine procedure. Generally, how long is the lead time with ordering a AFMr?

Thanks everyone!

#2 6 years ago

Go with attack from mars!! You could buy an ACDC or kiss used later. They won’t be making the remake much longer

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nickrc3:

I'm leaning towards the AFMr,

Since CGC started making the games themselves. They are extremely well built. Extremely light on tech support problems out of the box. And should you have an issue or even a simple question on your new game purchase. I'm around noon to midnight CST to help, or get you the help you need.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

I'd go with ACDC.

As for vendors you have Little Shop of Games in Central Florida and you have Got Pinball in the Tampa Bay area.

Vendors will work with the MSRP but are somewhat limited by Stern. I'd say use that you can get them a few hundred under MSRP.

If you're in Florida plan on paying sales tax, but you can pick up the game right away and you have help locally if you need it. Curly and Randy are both great people to deal with.

#5 6 years ago

If you buy out of state you avoid sales tax. Cointaker & Game Exchange are reputable dealers with fair prices and CGC distributors.
    Curly's Little Shop of Games is a CGC dealer in Florida.

I would ignore the MSRP and dealers will include shipping and other incentives although this is drying up somewhat due to manufacturer request.

AFM & AC/DC are both highly rated games so you can't go wrong. KISS is a fun game but I would only purchase if you really love the band.

#6 6 years ago

Just go to your FLA place and bring cash. I'm sure you'll get a deal...

#7 6 years ago

AFM is a solid game for pinheads and casuals. Anyone can walk up to that machine and instantly know what to do which makes it very approachable when entertaining your non pinball friends.

#8 6 years ago

What part of FL are you?

In FL call Little Shop of Games and Got Pinball? and see what they have to offer. See what they can do for you on price and Tax if you pick up the game with cash or send a cashiers check. Try to avoid tax if possible.

Do not send email or text questions regarding any quotes on pricing or sales tax questions! Call! They do not want paper trails of all this for certain reasons.

AFM is a proven great and just got rerun. Acdc did a rerun and have Premiums at around $6800ish. Acdc LE did not get rerun. The LE is special and looks fantastic but are around $9000ish for Let there be rock and $10000ish for a Back in Black Le. The Prem plays the same as the Le. Kiss LE I would buy a preowned one. If you buy Kiss new as soon as you open the box you will take a lot bigger hit on value of it compared to Acdc or AFM. If that is ok with you and you like new games then fine, but be aware of this and not be surprised when you sell.

Good luck!

#9 6 years ago

Advice: Start planning for games 2, 3, 4, 5, then a bigger rec room, then games 6-14

#10 6 years ago

...great information Guys - thanks!

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

AFM is a solid game for pinheads and casuals. Anyone can walk up to that machine and instantly know what to do which makes it very approachable when entertaining your non pinball friends.

Good point. Also, my Wife is into the Sci-Fi/UFO theme, and a Trekee. I personally don't care for that specific machine.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What part of FL are you?
    In FL call Little Shop of Games and Got Pinball? and see what they have to offer. See what they can do for you on price and Tax if you pick up the game with cash or send a cashiers check. Try to avoid tax if possible.
    Do not send email or text questions regarding any quotes on pricing or sales tax questions! Call! They do not want paper trails of all this for certain reasons.

Yes, I shall be contacting the Locals next week. Little Shop of Games isn't far, as I reside in Ocala. Also understand about the tax thing. A personal conversation is certainly the way to approach the matter.

Thanks again everyone.

#11 6 years ago

Mars rules..

#12 6 years ago

Little Shop of Games is awesome! Bought 2 machines from Curly in the past.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Advice: Start planning for games 2, 3, 4, 5, then a bigger rec room, then games 6-14

Followed after by a new house.

No we're not kidding.

#14 6 years ago

I just got to the buy a new house stage.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I'd go with ACDC.
    As for vendors you have Little Shop of Games in Central Florida and you have Got Pinball in the Tampa Bay area.
    Curly and Randy are both great people to deal with.

Quoted from fish1975tx:

Little Shop of Games is awesome! Bought 2 machines from Curly in the past.

I met Curly from Little Shop of Games today and spent the afternoon discussing my future pinball selection/purchase, and old military stories. Absolutely, a delightful individual to speak with, especially in making an investment of this nature. His business ethics, pinball experience, system knowledge, and personalized service was enough to commit for purchase. The other deciding factor is his strong rapport with the Manufacturers. I was so impressed. His overall inventory - Wow! You want it, he's got it. All the leading games, including new JJP units.
    So, I left a deposit for a AFMr-LE, and possibly taking delivery in late 2017 or early 18'. For a nominal fee, Curly will personally deliver, set-up and thoroughly test. I'm all in for this. Also desire his plastic protectors.

The one thing I failed to ask is if he still hosts those pinball parties at the business. Would love to attend one of those!
    I'll see him at Florida Free Play next month...

Thanks again, everyone!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nickrc3:

I met Curly from Little Shop of Games today and spent the afternoon discussing my future pinball selection/purchase, and old military stories. Absolutely, a delightful individual to speak with, especially in making an investment of this nature. His business ethics, pinball experience, system knowledge, and personalized service was enough to commit for purchase. The other deciding factor is his strong rapport with the Manufacturers. I was so impressed. His overall inventory - Wow! You want it, he's got it. All the leading games, including new JJP units.
    So, I left a deposit for a AFMr-LE, and possibly taking delivery in late 2017 or early 18'. For a nominal fee, Curly will personally deliver, set-up and thoroughly test. I'm all in for this. Also desire his plastic protectors.
    The one thing I failed to ask is if he still hosts those pinball parties at the business. Would love to attend one of those!
    I'll see him at Florida Free Play next month...
    Thanks again, everyone!

Great choice! Go with someone you like. Curly has been around the block and will help you with anything in the future.

We all talk about boring stuff like BOM's, LE's , dream themes, toys on the playfields etc.. Let me tell you though, I got into pinball for the games, but what really made me settle in and be happy is my pin friends and the people I met. Glad you are off to a good start!
    Congrats!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-new-pinball-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.