Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by pinballphile
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 11 days ago

I recently found an OEM NOS translite for my TZ and was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints and tips on installing it into the translite glass assembly to avoid damaging the new translite please.

Should I also replace the bottom lift channel (or any of the other translite trim pieces) while I am at it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

#2 11 days ago

Remove plastic trim. Clean glass. Put on plastic trim. Done.

Replace any trim that is broken or cracked.

I like to lay the glass down, back of translite up with trim installed. Gently smooth the translite with my clean hands from center to edges. So it's nice and flat.

LTG : )

#3 11 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I think you forgot the <remove old translite> and <install new translite> steps

#4 11 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Replace any trim that is broken or cracked.
I like to lay the glass down, back of translite up with trim installed. Gently smooth the translite with my clean hands from center to edges. So it's nice and flat.

Thanks LTG. I didn't realize the process was that simple--the plastic trim pieces seem to be on pretty tight and I thought there would be a trick to getting them on and off.

If you would suffer a couple other questions please: in terms of cleaning the glass, before putting on the new translite: Do I need to avoid ammonia-based products? (I realize I'm obsessing over the details.--I just don't want to do something dumb to mess this up).

Finally, the reason I'm replacing the translite in the first place, is that part of the "Tallking Tina" face on the old translight was rubbed away by the long clear plastic post screwed into the bulb board behind the translite. I got rid of that post to avoid further damage, but was wondering what purpose it serves, since it appears in my STTNG as well. Is it there just to keep the bulbs board from swinging out too far when you access the PCBs?

Thanks!

#5 11 days ago

Use this

pasted_image (resized).png
#6 11 days ago
Quoted from pinballphile:

Finally, the reason I'm replacing the translite in the first place, is that part of the "Tallking Tina" face on the old translight was rubbed away by the long clear plastic post screwed into the bulb board behind the translite. I got rid of that post to avoid further damage, but was wondering what purpose it serves, since it appears in my STTNG as well.

I believe the post you are referring to works like a door stop for the hinged panel that houses the lamps. Without it, the door could hit the side edge of the backbox and break lamps or cause other damage. Normally, it should not come in contact with the translite like that, though.

#7 11 days ago
Quoted from pinballphile:

Do I need to avoid ammonia-based products? (I realize I'm obsessing over the details.--I just don't want to do something dumb to mess this up).

See 0geist0's post. I use Sprayway.

#8 11 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I believe the post you are referring to works like a door stop for the hinged panel that houses the lamps. Without it, the door could hit the side edge of the backbox and break lamps or cause other damage. Normally, it should not come in contact with the translite like that, though.

This happens a LOT when operators don't latch the back door. Or if the door/panel latch is broken. In the 90s, this was very common.

#9 11 days ago

Purple Sparkle glass cleaner used here for years...

#10 11 days ago

Copy that---Target had some Sprayway so I'll give that a go. Appreciate all of the input. I'm glad to finally know what that post was for. Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 30.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside