Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tubbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've run out of room, but my wanting continues . The garage is the only place to continue my collection . I was looking for any advice. I live in an area where it gets to 105 in the summer and down to 40 in the winter. I was wondering if this could be bad for my games , besides the expected extra dust.

#2 8 years ago

My garage is my game room, and we get colder in the winter, and around the same in the summer. I have never had any issues with the games, but it is a pretty extreme temperature change. I started heating and cooling my garage one I started buying more expensive games, and I try to keep it between 60 and 75 at all times now. If I had space in the house for games, I would put the expensive ones inside, and save the money in the garage.

Again, I never had any issues n I wasn't controlling the temps, but I want to keep the nice games nice just in case. It is also really nice to have the garage comfortable for me whenever I decide to go out there.

I am only using a $700 portable unit from Costco, and it works pretty well. It costs me about $50/month to run it. It would be cheaper, and most likely better use a mini split system, but the upfront cost was about 5 times as much, and we plan on buying a bigger house with space for an inside game room in a couple of years, so it didn't make sense to install one here.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you for your post. Did you do anything to seal your garage? I will still need to use mine like a garage still. Thank you again for sharing. Felling better about idea already, plus more games is always a plus.

#4 8 years ago

I insulated the walls, and sheetrocked the whole garage. I was planning to blow in insulation in the rafters, but I haven't managed to get it done yet. I had to put in a good seal at the bottom of the garage door because there was a big enough gap that water came in when it rained.

#5 8 years ago

You both are West Coasters, like me. Less humidity. I read somewhere that HUMID temperature changes were far worse than dry temperature changes. The day to night swing in temperatures is greater in our "desert" climate but no/low humidity, so not so bad.

#6 8 years ago

Thank you so much for your input . Maybe a collection of players condition games I always wanted . Your inputs are very much needed and wanted. Thank you all again.

#7 8 years ago

I put a Mini-Split A/C and heater in my garage to keep it climate controlled. It runs 24/7 to make sure that the humidity is controlled as well.

I did insulate my garage door using two of these kits: http://insulation.owenscorning.com/homeowners/renovation/products/garage-door-insulation-kit-accessory/

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

You both are West Coasters, like me. Less humidity. I read somewhere that HUMID temperature changes were far worse than dry temperature changes. The day to night swing in temperatures is greater in our "desert" climate but no/low humidity, so not so bad.

Lots of people out here with games in garages year round. Not a terribly big deal.

#9 8 years ago

Not so much up here in Canada.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-garage-gameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.