10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by balselly
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to the site and I'm looking to buy my first pin. I worked in an arcade for a few years in the 90s and I loved playing pinball but hadn't really considered the idea of buying a machine until I bumped into a friend with a large collection.

Here's my situation -

I have room for 3-4 machines in my office and the OK from the wife to buy 1. I'm pretty sure this constraint will loosen up (worried about noise, space, etc) as she gets used to the idea and sees the kids having fun with the machine too.

Here's my dilemma -

I have a short list of machines that I like playing and would like to own. I'm not sure which I should go after first. Ideally I'm looking for a game that can hold my interest for a few months as it will be the only machine in the house.

Here's my wishlist -

Whirlwind
    Star Trek the Next Generation
    Theater of Magic
    Spiderman
    Medieval Madness Remake (or maybe The Hobbit)

Which would you pick and why? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for the help!

#2 10 years ago

WhirlWind; It's the cheapest, the simplest, and on the easier end of getting. Unless the wife is OK with you shelling out 8Gs.

MMR & Hobbit she's gonna be wondering whom you gave your monies to such a looong time ago and why you don't have a machine to show for it.

Other 3 are fine, and TOM is a crowd pleaser

#3 10 years ago

Instead of what I like, why not start with what you like? If you want to buy something now, why list mmr/hobbit which wont be available for a couple of years?

do you have a budget? If I had to pick from your list, probably whirlwind, and its probably the cheapest on your list to acquire. nice ruleset, nice layout.

#4 10 years ago

Allow me to say welcome and give you your first thumbs up bro.

I highly recommend seeking out the nearest arcade that has a bunch of machines and then decide on a machine as a family. Seems like you have a diverse budget, so there will be a ton of pins to choose from. Just because someone loves a pin doesn't mean that your family will. So take suggestions with a grain of salt and get to that arcade to find out for yourself.

Most of all, congrats and welcome again to the most amazing and addicting hobby. One leads to another and another and so on. It doesn't stop when you buy the game. That's just the beginning. Then theirs modding it up with toys and Play Field LED's and backbox kits and under-cabinet lighting and speaker upgrades and sub woofer add ons and alternate translites etc etc. LOL

So, sit down, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!

Best of luck to you rtc.

#5 10 years ago

Sttng is a very complex game that I would recommend staying away from as a first machine unless you are good at fixing. Congo is a perfect 1st machine.

#6 10 years ago

I'm not worried about the budget and the reality is that in six months I'll end up with 3-4 machines or no machines at all if the wife's heartburn gets out of control

I listed MM as an example of a game I like and will probably buy, unless the Hobbit is really good.

I've played all the games I listed (except the Hobbit, obviously) and I like them a lot but I'm not sure which one would have the most replay value as an only game in the short-term.

I do like Whirlwind a lot, but my concern is that it has less toys than something like Theatre of Magic and may get boring after a few months of play. That said, I have zero experience with owning machines and I'm not sure what really adds to the replay value of a game.

#7 10 years ago

Gotta go with WW as a starter machine. Learn, enjoy your first machine, then trade up. Or just get a second one....and a....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-first-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.