Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Woz3 (resized).jpg
    Woz2 (resized).jpg
    Woz (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nytewatch33.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi - I'm probably going to buy only one pin. Finally got permission from the wife, so it's game on and I'm trying to decide on what would be the best purchase based on the following criteria:

1) accessible game for family members and friends
    2) deep enough game play to keep me interested for a long time
    3) not too punishing (see #1)
    4) great theme
    5) not going to lose my shirt reselling it later

My favorite games have been Funhouse (played a lot in college), AFM, Monster Bash (all time favorite), LOTR, and Wizard of Oz - though I'm worried WOZ is too punishing for family. Also Star Trek, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Ironman, and recently I had a lot of fun playing Game of Thrones. My wife loves the theme of WOZ (by the way, sorry if I get the offical acronyms wrong everyone uses here.)

I've always heard great things about Twilight Zone, MM, and Adams Family, and while I have played them a bit - maybe I just didn't fully understand the gameplay or something, but couldn't get into them as much. I know everyone loves MM - but I don't think the theme is right for me.

So any thoughts? I'm really leaning towards one of the newer jersey jack games or AFM as finding a monster bash is difficult. I've got a good idea what the games go for and have enough budgeted for purchasing a quality game, but don't feel the need to buy a collectors piece that has been completely refurbished to pristine condition. Just a great playing game that I can resell and come close to breaking even after a while.

Appreciate any advice!

#6 6 years ago

Great feedback so far - thank you all. For whatever reason I just don't get into MM. But I absolutely love MB. Just can't seem to find one that's not really on the high end. I've been playing a little virtual twilight zone and reading the rules, and I'm starting to enjoy that a lot. But I think it might be a bit much for casual play.

#7 6 years ago

There is a TZ, Star trek pro, WOZ standard, and GOTLE for sale near me right now. So a number of options.

#22 6 years ago

Man you guys are amazing. Thank you for taking all this time to respond and provide advice. Considering all the comments above, and going to go play a couple of games today.

#26 6 years ago

Well I guess I should clarify. I'm only going to buy one pin...at a time. Kidding! But seriously I have a major space limitation. I've got a little alcove that will fit a pin, and so it's impossible to expand to have more than one at a time (small house - and it seriously only has space for one). Which brings me to another question. The alcove I have to work with is a perfect space for a pin, with one exception. The floor is raised about 5". And the raised area is where the back legs of the pin will sit, while the front legs will be on the lower part of the main floor. To picture this, Imagine you placed a pallet down on the floor, and had to set up your back pin legs on it (no choice), and of course it had a solid top. So how do I make it so the pin is at the proper height and angle (i.e. flat). I don't think raising the front legs makes sense. It seems to me that I have two options: 1) install custom shorter legs in back or 2) cut holes in the floor for the pin legs to go down into so they sit on the main floor.

I can do the second option, and trim it out nicely so it doesn't look to crazy. You won't see it anyway for the most part because the pin will cover up the entire alcove. And obviously there aren't any legs out there that can shorten 5 or 6" as this is a unique situation. Just wondering if anyone has some creative suggestions.

#38 6 years ago

In terms of themes etc. my daughter is 20 (away at college), and not many little kids visiting. More my buddies, my wife (that's the sticking point - would have bought a Funhouse but she hated Rudy. I love Rudy!) and neighbors. Will have my nieces visit sometimes so there's that.

I went and played the exact machine I'd likely buy for AFm this morning. It rocks of course. But then I played Ghostbusters and had a blast with that too, and the guy told me I could make it a little easier by closing down the side lanes. I didn't think it drained that often that it would be needed, but I had no idea you could do that. Cool that a lot of pins can be made easier that way for family. Oh and ACDC was a blast too, but the theme wouldn't fly.

I wasn't as excited about GOT this time. Oh and the new star wars was fun. I keep coming back to AFm though.

#49 6 years ago

I just have to add this - I was running down options based on all of your feedback with my wife, and she said "I don't really care - as long as it has one of those plungers and the flippy things, and some bright lights and stuff" Thought you guys would appreciate that.

#63 6 years ago

Well i ended up buying a beautiful WoZ. Standard edition With shaker and invisa glass. Wife loves it and im enjoying learning the gameplay. Overall very happy with our decision. Thank you again for all of the advice

#73 6 years ago

Yes it is a pre-owned WoZ standard edition with shaker and glass upgrade. I was able to take a used set of pinball legs (thank you Whthrs166!), cut them down 5", and had the foot welded back into place. Wire brushed and painted up the new legs, and swapped them out. It was interesting doing the swap and moving the pin by myself (thank you High Lift Jack - lol. I jacked up one side of the pin and then replaced the leg on that side like I was changing a tire on a car. Everything was padded, and I had emergency supports underneath in case the jack slipped) I even took the trouble to install a little felt between the new leg and the pin to make sure there was no scratching behind the legs)

The WoZ is now installed in the little alcove I had in mind for a pinball, and it fits perfectly! Everything seems to be working flawlessly, with the exception of the crystal ball every once in a while showing colorful "snow" instead of the image that is supposed to show up. Rebooting seems to clear this up.

Really super happy with it. Broke almost 600K points today, but have a lot to learn.

#77 6 years ago

A few pictures of the WoZ in its new home There is actually plenty of room on the sides for the flipper buttons. It doesn't look like it in the pictures, but there is.

Woz (1) (resized).jpgWoz (1) (resized).jpg
    Woz2 (resized).jpgWoz2 (resized).jpg
    Woz3 (resized).jpgWoz3 (resized).jpg

#81 6 years ago

Plenty of room to nudge and bump the pin. It's deceptive from the pics. Also the good news is this the largest pin I'm likely to own, so non wide body pins would provide even more room. Honestly it looks like it was designed for a pin - because it kind of was in the back of my mind when I rebuilt the room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nytewatch33.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-first-pin?tu=nytewatch33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.