60%
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 7 votes
    23%
  • Super Mario Bros 4 votes
    13%
  • Super Mario Bros Mushroom World 1 vote
    3%

(30 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonebone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey there, new to the forum, but been collecting console video games for about a decade, and finally got a couple of arcade machines in the last year or so. Now I'm considering branching out to a Pinball machine too.

I never really played Pinball growing up, so I'm looking for a good entry level machine in a theme that I'd like. I've seemed to have narrowed it down to Simpsons Data East, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or one of the Mario Gottlieb machines. I did visit the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas in October 2017 and played several machines, but to be honest, none of them really left a lasting impression on me. I'd be buying it more as a cool collectible that could get some gameplay when friends are over.

Having said all of this, I'm also willing to pay more for one that is shopped / HUO / excellent condition, etc. I definitely don't want to take on a starter project. Both of the arcades I own were in pretty good shape too, because I don't want to be learning how to do all of the servicing. With the limited playtime it will receive, an excellent one should last a long time.

Anyways, any specific tips about what to look out for? Otherwise, any votes regarding which of those 3 (4 if you count 2 Marios) would be a good bang-for-buck starter machine? Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

#11 5 years ago

Interesting replies so far, thanks for all of the advice. Please note I'm a collector more than a gamer and I fully understand that. The pinball will likely be bought, get a bunch of plays at first and then go weeks or months without even being powered on. As strange as it may sound to some of you, I'm buying it more as a collectible that will be a topic of conversation when people come over. Or something my kids can play as they get older (2 and 4 now). Not something that I'm going to be playing all the time and continually trying to set a new high score.

As for what games I played, I went for themes that I liked as opposed to "great games". I played wrestling ones, Goldeneye, both Marios, Street Fighter II, TMNT and probably some other miscellaneous 90s themes (Arnold, movies, etc.) Being as that was 15 months ago, I don't have any distinct memories other than the Mario Mushroom World being horrible and WWF Royal Rumble being boring. The other ones I'd play for 30-60 seconds on a coin and call it a day.

Having said all of that, does that change the recommendations? I see that TSPP is mentioned but that's a $4.5-$5k machine. I don't see the point in paying that when I can get some of these Data East ones in a theme I like for half price. You experienced players can obviously tell the difference but as of now I can't. Maybe eventually I can and will want to add a more advanced pin later, but a nice easy entry level one in a theme I like is what I desire now.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Except OP doesn't even seem that into any pinball let alone the ones he posted. Why not just spend 1/10th what you would on a pinball and buy a statue of a 2 headed cat? It would offer the same amount of curiosity when friends are over and is significantly cheaper. I demand 2 headed cat option be added to the poll !

I'm into Pinball enough to visit the museum in Vegas on a trip and to have casually popped quarters here and there. Just have never owned one myself.

I have sealed video games, lighted Nintendo signs and even baseball cards worth more than the cost of the pins I'm interested in. It's really not a big deal to get one and only play it sporadically if you have the room for it. I should have one in a month or two I'm sure. Patient enough to look around but motivated enough to pay out when I find what I want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonebone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-buying-my-first-pin-narrowed-down-my-wants?tu=jonebone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.