Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I'm buying my first pinball machine soon. Any advice that you would like to share?

#2 9 years ago

Stop now if you only want one...

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Stop now if you only want one...

Lol sooooooo true!

#4 9 years ago

my advice is don't buy it off of Ebay

#5 9 years ago

Depends on what title. What is the name? We can give you some clues on what to look for? Look closely to the cabinet, playfield, back of translite for wear. Any water damage? Do all boards in the head look good? Any burnt connectors?

#6 9 years ago

I'm pretty close to buying one in my area. Looking at early-mid 90s machines. when you buy one, do you actually take the top off and look at the connections?

#8 9 years ago

Don't have it shipped and inspect before you buy

#9 9 years ago

Buy from a local collector. All my 90's pins have never broken down because of this.

#10 9 years ago

Definitely inspect it in person. Look at the boards in the backbox and look for anything that looks burned (molex connections). Look for battery acid leaking and any weird hacks (wires soldered directly to the board). Look under the playfield and look for anything that looks out of place (super-vague, I know..)

If you have ANY hesitations walk away! There are countless stories on here (myself included) who bought their first pin and had to deal with a boat load of issues. Seriously, if you have any hesitations walk away, there will be other pins that come along and the feeling of urgency is hard to overcome when buying your first pin. No matter what you buy be prepared to work on the pin, they are temperamental bastards! That being said, it is a great hobby and I am very glad I got into it. Good luck!

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Buy from a local collector. All my 90's pins have never broken down because of this.

Good advice.

#11 9 years ago

Yeah, if you noticed Pinside has a bunch of people who are opinionated on topics around the hobby and have certain likes or dislikes on different pins and manufactures, but I bet 97% really care about the hobby and the people in it and would not sell a patched up dog of a pin to a "nice, normal, non lowballing" newbie as their first game.
    Could be wrong, but it is just IMHO.

#12 9 years ago

Listen to Episodes 36 and 37 of the Pinball Podcast.

In the second half of their #36 show they go over first time buyer tips. Then...in the first half of show #37...the read emails from listeners with tips.

There is a treasure trove of information there for you. A great starting place.

#13 9 years ago

Also...where are you located? Almost guaranteed that you could get an experienced Pinsider to meet you and look over a game.

#14 9 years ago

Find a pinsider in your area and check out their machines, especially if you know what pin you want. If you can do that, ask them about ownership of the pin, what are the problem areas that need to be examined, etc.

Try to be as patient as possible (good luck @ the beginning).

#15 9 years ago
    #16 9 years ago

Exactly what ZRBRT just said.

#17 9 years ago

Not sure why you would thumbs down him for agreeing with me, so I gave him a thumbs up and you a thumbs down.

#18 9 years ago

I don't understand the "don't buy on eBay" mentality. Of course I'm biased as I list games on eBay, but I warranty the boards (why not, I was helping buyers for free anyway), take extra pictures when asked, etc. Many people that list stuff on Pinside, CL, Mr Pinball also put stuff on eBay. Just keep in mind that sellers have to ask for more there to compensate for the fees...so always try to negotiate

Sure, buying from shady sellers who post two sentences and a blurry picture on eBay is risky, but it's no different than shady sellers elsewhere. Also, at least on eBay you have some sort of feedback system. Bottom line, do your research and be careful. Worst case, it's better to overpay a little than get taken in full or hurt by a real scumbag...it's happening more and more.

#19 9 years ago

As far as eBay goes I would put it like this.....you can "find" pins on eBay, just make the deal outside of eBay and pick up in person!

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for your advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

#21 9 years ago

Good advice on here. If you are prepared to tinker/fix issues yourself (which I highly recommend if you plan to start collecting), you should use issues as part of the negotiation (b/c they take time & money to fix). Here is some additional stuff I've learned in my short time collecting:

- Definitely inspect the boards & be on the lookout for burnt connectors on the boards, especially where the GI lamps connect. Williams games from that era, for example, have an interconnect board behind the speaker panel (long skinny board) that is notorious for connector burn. If you have GI lamps out and connector burn, it could be just bulbs but you'll want to assume the worst (replacing the burnt male/female connectors or perhaps even the board)
    - Flipper strength (whether or not a game needs a flipper rebuild)
    - Condition of the plastics (Cracked? Really yellowed?). Hard to replace in many cases.
    - Cabinet: nothing wrong with battle scars if the price is right, but swelling, water damage, mildew, rotting wood are all big red flags
    - Playfield: look for paint wear,un-level inserts, bubbling mylar if the machine has it, screws that shouldn't be there
    - Under the playfield: question coils that look fried or part of the wiring that looks cooked
    - Gameplay: make sure everything that's supposed to happen does happen (may have to research the game 1st if you aren't too familiar - if it's on pinball arcade, that's a huge bonus)

Despite what I said, don't be afraid of a pin that needs some love. That's part of the fun!

#22 9 years ago

Oh, and please post the pickup if it works out!

#23 9 years ago

I would also say, if you have a local operator that does the job right and puts out decent games, I would just say play his games for 50-75 cents. It's much cheaper and less hassle.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

I would also say, if you have a local operator that does the job right and puts out decent games, I would just say play his games for 50-75 cents. It's much cheaper and less hassle.

Also great advice, especially if are on a budget and just want to play (instead of fix up, repair, etc)

#25 9 years ago

Any local retailers? I bought my first one from one and I think that is a good place to start even if you pay a little more. I was able to try out a variety of pins in person and take my time. The pin I ended up buying was shopped, delivered, and came with a warranty.

If anything, get familiar with the games you are interested in and play the real thing first. Some games appealed to me until I played them in real life. Sometimes it's the opposite, the game seems uninteresting until you play it.

Another factor is new or old. At first, I only was interested in getting older Williams games but that was before I tried out some of the newer stuff. It can get a lot more expensive, though. There are plenty of older B or even C titles that you can find for fairly cheap.

#26 9 years ago

There is some great advice on here. I am looking at two specific pinball machines that someone in my area (Davenport, IA) has for sale - judge dredd and jackbot. Both are in my price range at ~$2000. Would be my first pin and am hoping to pick the best one for my wife, kids and I. Any advice on which one I'm not exactly sure about how to check for burnt connectors and some of the other things inside the machines, but will do additional research to try to better understand what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

#27 9 years ago

Where in IA is Davenport?

#28 9 years ago

Tough choice right there. I say Jackbot because Judge Dredd can be a little harder to keep running. I think i like gameplay on JD a little more. I've owned both games.

JD is also a little violent/gory.

#29 9 years ago

Jackbot? I don't know?

For wife's and kids and yourself in that range I would do - WCS (I have), Earth Shaker, T2 (I have), Black Rose, Demo Man, Nascar or Monopoly. These are ideas to try. It is a crapshoot with the wife and kids playing though.

#30 9 years ago

Well hook up with someone in your area that is a avid collector would be my first suggestion. You can search here or MR. Pinball collector registry.

Do you like to mechanical / electrical repairs. You will eventually have them no matter what you get.

If you are not handy and or no background with electronics it can be costly as even a simple repair will cost you to call a tech to the house.

Have your wife and kids look at the IPDB. and see what they seem to like first. watch a couple youtube vids on that machine. Like High Speed is a killer oldie! and everyone seems to like Simpsons. Look on the pinside top100. see if they seem to pick any of those machines.

It could be a good father/child time even learning the repair/maintenance side of things.

But like others have warned. You get one, there is a good chance that every year the number of pins in your home will grow.

Good LUCK!

#31 9 years ago

Go with JD. Got some good shots and flow.

#32 9 years ago

Another question. Are your wife and kids totally on board or are you just hoping? I did the "hoping" thing and it did not pan out. Now I buy for me.

#33 9 years ago

Another question. Are your wife and kids totally on board or are you just hoping? I did the "hoping" thing and it did not pan out. Now I buy for me.

Quoted from Astropin:Another question. Are your wife and kids totally on board or are you just hoping? I did the "hoping" thing and it did not pan out. Now I buy for me.

My wife is just as interested. Just trying to make the right decision

#34 9 years ago

I don't think there is one "right decision", but there are many wrong decisions.

1. Don't spend more than you are truly comfortable with...first pin is a big expense and you don't want to feel bad about it. Newer games may have more value left to depreciate, some of my favorite early pins were LAH and T2...fun and cheap (relatively speaking).

2. Buy from a reputable seller and overpay a little if you need to. Lots of little things can break on a pinball machine, its easy as a noob if you don't have to worry about big problems too.

3. You will want more than one. When you are cleaning it or working on it, you will want another to play during the downtime. Just be ready for it...

4. Keep it fun, it is a game and not a retirement investment. Be prepared to lose a few bucks when you shuffle your collection, especially if you buy from a vendor.

5. Play and buy the games you like. One man's #1 pinball may not even crack another guys top 25...its all about what you like.

#35 9 years ago

I would also suggest looking at WCS. I bought that first 2 years ago. It remains very popular with my kids, ages 5-11, and their friends. Easy to understand and a lot of fun. My second pin was x-men pro. I like it more, but probably less popular with the kids (except the super hero obsessed ones).

#36 9 years ago

I really appreciate all of the good advice. If there were a WCS, LAH, T2, DM or something similar around my area (IA or IL) and price range, I would be very interested. Just not comfortable getting something shipped, especially having never owned one before. If I found one relatively local, maybe I could find someone on this site to help take a look at it. If you happen to know of any, please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to respond...I love this site!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from tomh52722:

If there were a WCS, LAH, T2, DM or something similar around my area (IA or IL) and price range, I would be very interested

Wait for a while one will pop up. While you are waiting learn all you can about pinball and save up some $$$

#38 9 years ago

Picking up a game from another collector has helped me a ton getting into the pinball world. You may pay a little more, but it will still be less than retail or eBay. Game will usually be in better condition and described honestly. The majority of folks in pinball are standup people. And they will be helpful if/when issues arise down the road, and can help you find games that will never see the "open" market.

Also.....be prepared to spend more than you plan (mods, improvements,etc)....and know that pinballs are like potato chips...you can't have just one!!!

Enjoy!

#39 9 years ago

Bring a bright flashlight. Check all plastic parts for damage, as well as all sides of the cabinet and head. Run your fingers over the inserts to see if they have issues. Run through all the test modes with the glass off so you can trigger all the switches. Bring a pinball veteran who can help you check it out. Be friendly but thorough. Know the min/max/average price for the game (from the Boston pinball site).

Practical advice: bring 5/8" and 9/16" socket wrenches. Learn how to fold up and secure the game for travel, because the seller may not know how.

#40 9 years ago
    #41 9 years ago

I just want to say the other half of the coin that has not been spoken for much in this thread: be ready to do repairs. It is going to happen; it is inevitable. Don't let it stop you from buying a pin; this is not me trying to "scare tactic" you. Just know that sometime down the road something is not going to work, and you will be diving in to repair the problem. Get comfortable with how to read basic wiring schematics, how to test for voltage and resistance, how to test transistors, where the ground braid cables are in a machine, how to tweak the metal arms on the ball rollover switches - basic but very useful stuff.

I'd get a good LED head lamp, a basic set of wrenches, a small 1/4" ratchet kit with a couple long extensions, extendable magnetic pointer, multiple different length flat head and philips head screwdrivers, and a good middle-of-the-road multimeter (read: one for about $40 at Home Depot or Lowes - make absolutely sure it has an audible continuity tester).

Once again, not trying to scare at all, just want you to go in with the reasonable expectations of both the good (playing the pin, family time, being the hero to your kids for having a pin) and the bad (anytime it goes down and you don't know what to do). As time goes along and repairs are done, you'll get familiar with how things work, and it'll get easier and less formidable when something goes wrong.

Good luck!

#42 9 years ago
    #43 9 years ago

Tom. I am super local to you. If you are looking at something close, let me know. I can go with you.
    Or if you get something and need help afterwards, I can help there too.

If those pins are in davenport, I am pretty sure I know who you are talking to.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Where in IA is Davenport?

Across the Mississippi river from Moline, IL

#45 9 years ago

Buy from a Pinsider that has a good reputation that is within driving distance so you can see it-play it in person. Can't go wrong there.

NEVER buy a game sight unseen. Always pay in cash, 100% in person. Don't bother with shipping. Always buy a game you can play and see in person. Don't agree to anything until it is plugged in and running (unless it is stupidly cheap). And finally, it is OK to walk away without a game.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I don't understand the "don't buy on eBay" mentality.

Maybe you just haven't been screwed over badly enough by eBay/Paypal yet. Selling smaller stuff like boards and whatnot is one thing. An entire game is another. It is not worth it for both parties for what they skim off the top of the sale. And the seller is really never protected, regardless of what eBay/Paypal says. Dude could drive away with a game, does something stupid to it, then says the item was misrepresented and you're out several grand.

#47 9 years ago

Do not go for deep rule set look for fun like Cyclone of Funhouse enjoy

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Buy from a Pinsider that has a good reputation that is within driving distance so you can see it-play it in person. Can't go wrong there.
    NEVER buy a game sight unseen. Always pay in cash, 100% in person. Don't bother with shipping. Always buy a game you can play and see in person. Don't agree to anything until it is plugged in and running (unless it is stupidly cheap). And finally, it is OK to walk away without a game.

*100. Go to the person selling it, play it for a while, and if it seems like it is working and the price is good, buy it.

Be patient. You will find something nice if you just sit back, research some games, and have fun. There are a ton of awesome pins out there.

#49 9 years ago

I second being patient and learn what you like or don't like. Some pins that people often recommend just don't do it for me. Unless you plan on getting many pins or rotating often, you want to make sure you get the ones that you really like. Pinball Arcade and other virtual pinball are good for getting familiar with pins but still not the real thing. I was seriously thinking about buying NGG from playing it on Pinball Arcade but once I played the real thing, I didn't like it so much. Other pins that I would of never considered at first, surprised me how much fun they are to play.

#50 9 years ago

I would make sure that it is sterile. They can reproduce like rabbits.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-buying-my-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.