Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I have been saving for my first machine and reaching the point where i'm going to seriously start looking. My ideal first machine would be EATPM or BSD. I would love a horror movie or comic themed game. Does anyone have any experience with sellers in Colorado Springs or the Denver Metro area?

What are some of the things I should be looking for when buying a machine (i.e. positives and negatives)

I would appreciate any input. This site has provided me lots of great information and I look forward to hearing from experienced owners.

Erczilla

#2 10 years ago

Is there any flooding happening there right now in Colorado Springs? I hear the water is going from Boulder down to foothills of Canon City.

#3 10 years ago

The flooding in the Springs is minor compared to northern Colorado. There is a great arcade in Manitou where most of the flooding here has been located. As far as I know its still open. Towns Like Estes Park and Lyons were really hit hard. The weather is supposed to get better this week hopefully the waters will recede.

#4 10 years ago

I just preordered the ST from Game Exchange in Denver. They are supposed to have excellent customer service and have been great talking to on the phone. I'm sure they could help.

Also, I have been somewhat foolish when purchasing games unseen or unplayed. I would suggest trying to be able to see/play the game in person before purchasing. At the very least, you should try to have a fellow Pinsider check it out if you are considering having a pin shipped (which is expensive at $400-450 in my experience...with that money I'd probably wait and find a more local pin especially in the price range of pin you are looking for).

That's my $.02.

Good luck with your search!

Darin

#5 10 years ago

Find one locally. Power it on yourself to look for credit dots. Remove backglass to check for battery corrosion or burnt connectors etc.. Remove the PF glass and put the game into test mode. Since both of your games you are looking at are newer they will have test menus. Then while in switch edge test press every switch and every rollover either by hand or with a pinball. Make sure all things work as they should. Focus the most on condition not issues. You can fix electrical things much easier than you can fix cosmetics keep this in mind while hunting. CONDITION IS KING!!!!!!

Make sure you get a good idea of price vs condition before going after it also so you do not over pay vs current market value.

#6 10 years ago

Hey Erczilla and welcome to the party. What is your budget? I think it is great with all the new pinsiders in Colorado lately. The pin bug is biting lots of people. Welcome

#7 10 years ago

Realize that its a sellers market today....and many sellers are pushing the envelope on pricing. Also realize demand for pins is nothing short of overwhelming.....this includes people that think nothing of making a one way 500 mile trip to score a sought after pin at a reasonable price.

Retail outlets will nearly always charge higher prices. They have to pay for the cost of the building, heat, ac, lights, insurance etc. and of course these expenses are passed on to the retail consumer.
    Buying on Ebay is risky and prices are generally quite high. The bad thing about Ebay is the fact that the pin you may be buying has a multitude of costly mechanical condition issues.

Remember that price guides are simply that. Guides. Many pins are overpriced in the guides. Many many more pins are underpriced in the guides, and you may never find one for sale at the price.

As in the purchase of ANY used item, remember that CONDITION IS EVERYTHING.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks. I have noticed that prices on Ebay are ridiculous. The marketplace here seems the most fair as far as prices go. I'm looking to spend about 2k initially on a EATPM or something with a theme I enjoy. I went to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown this year and it really stoked my fire to buy one. I played the classic Amazing Spiderman there and would like that as a fallback if I cant locate a EATPM. I want a quality machine that will hold me over while I expand my basement work on buying another. 2k to 2500 initially. Thanks for all the feedback.

#9 10 years ago

BSD is a great pin, but as your only machine, you may grow tired of the ass-kickings.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from erczilla:

There is a great arcade in Manitou where most of the flooding here has been located. As far as I know its still open.

It (Manitou arcade) is still open. No noticeable damage when I was there a couple weeks ago. Lyons on the other hand...

We got hammered in Boulder County (& north in Larimer County) -sheets of water just running off the mountains, going into the canyons and lower elevations adding to what those places were already getting. Lyons public services (water, sewer, electric and gas) are all off - they say it will take many weeks to restore services and have told people to leave - at least 3 or 4 weeks, maybe longer. People have been told to leave for an indefinite period of time (again, at least 3 to 4 weeks, possibly much longer).

#11 10 years ago

That is tragic. I have always wanted to visit Lyons Classic Pinball and Pinball Jones in Fort Collins. I hope that will get a chance. I love the Manitou Arcade. I'm trying to raise my 5 year old son with an appreciation for classic arcade games and pinball.

#12 10 years ago

There is another post about LCP. Sounds like Kevin's place survived. Once it reopens, it is well worth the visit. Games are in tip top shape (I've heard that about Pinball Jones' games too).

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-one-know-the-status-of-lyons-classic-pinball#post-1114573

Manitou is a great place to introduce your son to classic games - skeeball, horse race, 21, etc. Kids love that stuff!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-buying-my-first-machine-colorado-springs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.