New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 227771)

Advice on buying Iron Maiden Premium as a first pin

By LargemouthAss

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Whifflebat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone! New to the site and already found tons of great info!

When I was 6 years old my Dad brought home Gottlieb's "The Amazing Spiderman" and I played the hell out of it for 18 more years. It is a simple target-based game but it made me a good shot and gave me a solid skill set I have been able to apply to any other pinball machine I have played. Now that I am 38 I recently started frequenting a local pinball pizza shop/bar and have fallen in love with the Iron Maiden Premium machine. I have a daughter who will turn 8 in 2 weeks and a 4 year old son, both LOVE the Iron Maiden game. My daughter has been pushing me to buy it (not that I needed any further motivation). It helps that we are HUGE Maiden fans and my kids met Steve Harris backstage on their last tour.

We have the room in our basement for a pinball machine but to get it into the basement it will have to come down a grass hill in my side yard in order to get to the door, so I was planning on buying one NIB so I can put the packed machine on a dolly without scratching it up. Gameroomguys.com seems to be the best price as they include shipping.

My questions:
1) I am a pretty handy guy but I am not an electrician. I have done some soldering in the past and am willing to learn more. Is the Iron Maiden Premium significantly less reliable than other machines? Is it a bad machine for a beginner? I saw that there have been some issues with the Premium compared to the Pro but the features seem worth it to me. I love the sarcophagus feature.

2) What is the reputation of gameroomguys.com here? Would I be better off buying local? The only vendor that carries the Iron Maiden machine is a 2 hour drive away OR a vendor without a retail location whose website appears to be from 1998 (although he did reply to an e-mail). Both charge a lot for delivery.

3) Is "white glove" setup and delivery worth it or can two guys set this thing up without a hydraulic lift? I am concerned about getting the legs on a 250lb machine but everything else seems simple enough.

Thanks for any help and insight!

#2 1 year ago

Might want to fix your thread title to avoid confusion.

#3 1 year ago

Sorry can you clarify what is confusing?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Might want to fix your thread title to avoid confusion.

Fixed

Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Sorry can you clarify what is confusing?

The title said "Iron Man", rather than "Iron Maiden".

#5 1 year ago

The title said "Iron Man", rather than "Iron Maiden".

My bad!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can probably find an Iron Man (Pro Vault Edition) if you really want one

Have yet to play one but if I get a chance to and love it I will make it happen!

#8 1 year ago

My advice, as a first time pin owner/buyer, get NIB and ask if they can help deliver/set up. After that, you will realize two things: 1) How easy it is to move pins and set them up once you've seen it done, and 2) how much money you wasted on someone showing you how easy it is to move and set up a pin. But, the money is worth the stress of breaking a $5000--$8000 purchase. It's your rookie season and you will feel like an idiot most of the time, but you'll learn fast, just like I did...and the rest of pinside...despite their big talk. However things go, good luck on your first pin!

#9 1 year ago

The issues with a premium are dialing in the switches and aligning the shooter lane . Most things in Spike 2 system are node boards now , which can be replaced (you'll wish you had to solder when u see the price of the boards). I don't think they fail very often.

I am selling a Maiden Premium btw about 4 hours away from you. $600 less than retail (includes shaker).

See youtube for how to pack a machine . The sooner you learn for yourself the better.

There is a very helpful local community in your area that may be willing to help. Maybe show up to one of the pinball leagues and ask around . i am sure they will help you in some way.

Free State pinball Association is on facebook

good luck

edz

#10 1 year ago

A first pin is just a gateway pin . Maiden is Fun and would be a great start. I really dig the objective icons and am still figuring that out.

#11 1 year ago

Good information! Thanks!
I have seen that the pinball community tends to buy/sell/trade a LOT but honestly I am the kind of guy who buys and holds on, be it stereo equipment/TVs/etc. I was planning on this being the only pinball machine in the home and it lasting for a decade plus.

EDIT: Should also mention the room this is going in serves as the kids playroom and my wife's treadmill room so I do not have room for more than one pin, at least not until the kids move on from playing with toys.

#12 1 year ago

I find it very hard to believe that Game Room Guys has the best pricing - maybe check w/ Tilt Amusements or Game Exchange?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I find it very hard to believe that Game Room Guys has the best pricing - maybe check w/ Tilt Amusements or Game Exchange?

Tilt does not have the prices listed but I sent an email. Game Exchange has the same price but appears to charge for shipping.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I am selling a Maiden Premium btw about 4 hours away from you. $600 less than retail (includes shaker).

There ya go....meet in the middle....save shipping cost....set up is easy, hell even I can do it!

#15 1 year ago

PM sent. I am worried that a pinball machine will not fit in my 2011 Pathfinder and renting a truck for a long drive will eat into the savings of buying used.

#16 1 year ago

Maybe you can ask for the help of a local pinside member, that lives close by,to give you a hand. That's what I did, and I met a very nice member ,that helped me out.There's a lot of nice people on this forum, so give it a shot.
I did offer a Philly cheese steak and some beer for lunch,to sweeten the pot.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Maybe you can ask for the help of a local pinside member, that lives close by,to give you a hand. That's what I did, and I met a very nice member ,that helped me out.There's a lot of nice people on this forum, so give it a shot.
I did offer a Philly cheese steak and some beer for lunch,to sweeten the pot.

Great idea!

#18 1 year ago

PM sent. I am worried that a pinball machine will not fit in my 2011 Pathfinder and renting a truck for a long drive will eat into the savings of buying used.

I'm sure someone here can tell you if it can.

#20 1 year ago

Iron Maiden is a great first pin, it will keep you entertained for a long time. Everyone here will tell you their favorite distributor and how great they are, I use cointaker.

#22 1 year ago

Good information! Thanks!
I have seen that the pinball community tends to buy/sell/trade a LOT but honestly I am the kind of guy who buys and holds on, be it stereo equipment/TVs/etc. I was planning on this being the only pinball machine in the home and it lasting for a decade plus.
EDIT: Should also mention the room this is going in serves as the kids playroom and my wife's treadmill room so I do not have room for more than one pin, at least not until the kids move on from playing with toys.

it would be easier to just put the clothes hanger ‘er I mean treadmill for sale right now to make space for another pin, and forget the kids, their game space will easily be taken up by pins, they are like water on a gremlin, they tend to multiply.

#23 1 year ago

so I do not have room for more than one pin

Oh, how so many of us have said this.

#24 1 year ago

I believe a premium should be $7300 delivered to your curb/garage. Don’t email, call the distributors mentioned.

For a first pin I’d buy NIB from a good distributor so there is no hassle if you need any warranty support.

I’m sure there are some local pinsiders that would be more than happy to help you set it up.

Good luck limiting it to a single machine.

#25 1 year ago

I'm in a very similar position as the OP. I'm looking to buy my first pin and after much deliberation, I've decided on Iron Maiden (complex, deep, solid code, different ways to play, etc.) and will be going with delivery and setup as well. Very much looking forward to it, though the issues outlined in the Iron Maiden Issues thread gives me a little pause, particularly the common plunger (manual and auto) problems. Still, sounds like I'll just need to learn how to tweak certain elements to make the necessary minor adjustments.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside