IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1708-543.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
#1 9 years ago

So far I have just cleaned metal parts by hand using this product which I find excellent:

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1709.JPG

But I read some many posts on buffers, that I bought this today from HF. After the 20% coupon its dirt cheap for a fairly heavy tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-buffer-94393.html

I tried it on a shooter rod and saw little difference. So I put some of the metal polish on the rod and then did it, and after a few repeats the rod looks great - but now my buffer wheel is all black. I did some reading and I think I may be doing this all wrong (black on wheel apparently is due to too much polish and now need to clean with rake/hack saw blade).

So now the stupid questions:

1. What do you guys do - just use the wheel, or add a little compound/metal cleaner/something?
2. Does a black wheel matter? And if so, should I just replace rather than messing around with rake?

Finally, and I'm sure this is a really stupid question:

3. When I use the metal paste manually, I am worried that if I keep going until it does not leave thick black on the cloth, that I may take the brass/chrome/finish off. For example, this coin plate (which I removed the paint someone had added) even though I have used the metal polish many many times, it still shows tarnish on the metal and the cloth is still thick black each time. Do I just keep going until no more black?

IMG_1708-543.JPGIMG_1708-543.JPG

I searched the forums but could not find anything really to help, so as always, appreciate the group's input.

#2 9 years ago

From the pic it seems your coin panel has some embedded rust. Polishing in my view will not resolve the rust. In those instances I use some wet & dry abrasive paper as light as will remove the rust without unduly scratching the surface , then apply rust remover then start the sealing & polishing process. On smaller parts after dealing with removal of grime & rust of course a tumbler is the go. I am about to buy a sand blasting cabinet to get over this damn rust removal!!

#3 9 years ago

Yea, a black wheel isn't a problem...just use a rake when the wheel becomes stiff from grud and use. Using the right compound helps a bunch, found Sears Red #6 (green compound) works great for me.

#4 9 years ago

I have that same model HF buffer and it works like a champ. A few answers for you:
1 - You HAVE to use compound on the wheel for it to do anything. Simple using the wheel with no compound does nothing for you. I use either black or red compound on the tightly woven wheel to first polish. it does have a learning curve, but once you get used to it, it works very well.

Once you polish the item with the right wheel, wipe off the excess compound with a towel, apply green (or whatever you want) compound to the left (loose woven) wheel and then buff. With a little practice, the results really can be staggering. Look at my results here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-playfield-swap-it-begins

I get the compounds from HF as well. They come in a little plastic tube. I use the black for polish and the green for buff.

2 - Black wheel doesn't matter at all. The wheel WILL get black. What you should do before you use it each time is to make sure the compound in the wheel has not hardened. You can use a rake like this - http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Brothers-AA-RAKE-ASSEMBLY-Handle-Filler/dp/B00R6IEDFW/ref=sr_1_3

But I just use the end of a putty knife and it works like a champ. Just hit the wheel with it for a few seconds before you start buffing.

3 - The metal interacting with the polish is what causes the black residue. You will never NOT have the residue. Again, it's not dirt causing it - it is the interaction of the metal and polish. So you don't have to polish until you don't get any more black, just until the part has the finish you want.

#5 9 years ago

Check out Eastwood. Automotive stuff, but very high quality. Many options, including affordable ones for our needs.

#6 9 years ago

Eastwood is definitely good stuff. Used quite a bit of it. Especially when I was restoring my 66 Toronado. My personal advice, however, use the cheap, readily available HF stuff and get used to working with it. Works very good, is cheap, and you don't have to have it shipped.

#7 9 years ago

First up, Happy New year to all. Secondly, many thanks to all the advice, especially Toro1966. I bought three new wheels and three compounds from HD so I could match them 1

http://www.homedepot.com/s/6in%2520buffer?NCNI-5 and http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Hard-Metal-Cleaning-Compound-Set-A04HM01/202886264

I am having mixed results - no doubt my ability, but was interested in anyone's used these compounds and further comments about the items below.

Here is a before and after on a CC shooter rod - pretty good, but upon closer inspection there is still pitting, this was after a lot of buffing with the black then yellow - I guess it needs longer to get mirror finish, but can you go too far here or I just need to keep going?
IMG_1710.JPGIMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1715.JPGIMG_1715.JPG

This surround simply seems to get no better, and again I worry I will eventually remove the finish, thoughts? IMG_1719.JPGIMG_1719.JPG

Any advice on the door - can these scratches come out?IMG_1716.JPGIMG_1716.JPG and even though I've used rust remover on the door, and tried buffing, still have this look: IMG_1717.JPGIMG_1717.JPG

Similarly I used rust remove and buffed the coin panel, this seems beyond help and not improving (looks like another $45 for PBR's next order!?)
IMG_1718.JPGIMG_1718.JPG

Really appreciate any advice as always, I really want to get as excited as others here about their buffer!

Thanks

(Finally, for all my K&Q brass I find I am still getting better finish with my Maas metal polish and elbow grease!)

#8 9 years ago

For the door and the coin plate...the chrome layer is gone...you are not going to improve those at all. Either paint, powder coat, or buy new. Re-chrome...not worth it

#9 9 years ago

I used the HF buffing wheels for my first polishing attempts and found them only adequate for a short time. the inner ring of the buffing wheel needs to be something hard or the wheel stretches out over time and becomes ineffective. The next wheels I buy will be of a higher quality. I was going for a mirror finish and got that on about the first 4 guides and then after that I just couldn't get he rest buffed out nicely.

#10 9 years ago

I've been using products from Caswell Plating for years. First for powdercoat then for polishing supplies. I used to build engines and had a bunch of "chromeboys" locked in a battle to out shine each other... I spent a lot of time polishing bolts, cylinder heads, everything you can think of.

Recently bought a combo kit (different sizes available depending on buffer size and HP rating) with several wheels, compounds, and a rake. It comes with a polishing guide to walk you through the process and get you started.

The shooter rod handle -should- be solid aluminum, so some sanding to get past the pitting and then polishing to shine it -should- work. Do you have a similar one to practice on? That would be the best bet, just like soldering, practice on something disposable to hone your skills.

The shooter surrounds are chrome plated, so you can remove the plating if you go to far. Living with minor pitting or replacement are the only easily attainable options. You can strip the platings, polish, and get it replated, but it'll be very time consuming and expensive.

Same for the coin door. I believe they are chromed as well. Any rust coming through means the plating is comprised in that area. You can steel wool it to remove the rust then polish it over to reshine the are, but the rust will come back

#11 9 years ago

There is brown cutting tripoli.

This cuts layers fast off an object, and can take off chrome plating.

Each time you use a different compound, you should change buffing wheels.

A stitched buffing wheel with a stitched leather core is best.

Please guys, avoid red rouge, unless packaging states something has changed.
Or wear a mask.....it has been found to cause health issues.
Green, Green Zam, and others will perform better, clean up easier, less greasy......

Been polishing metal for 44 years......

#12 9 years ago

A couple of points -
1 - If what you want is shiny, you can get that fairly easily with the buffing wheels. If what you want is smooth, shiny, with no imperfections, and looking like new - you can get that too - you just will likely not get that using compounds on your buffing wheels alone. Note that I did not say that it was impossible - just unlikely. It requires more steps.

Buffing only enhances what is already there.

Most of the pieces that you have - have some kind of blemishes due to corrosion, weather, age, etc. They can be polished, but you will still see all of the issues and polishing them will not necessarily remove them. You should remove those imperfections first. Things that can help you do that are steel wool, various grits of sandpaper, etc. THEN you buff the resulting piece to a mirror shine.

2 - Most of the items you have shown were originally plated or protected in someway. So you are correct- you do have to worry about taking the original finish off with buffing, sanding, etc. That said - those methods are more often than not the ONLY way - short of completely replating the items - to get them looking good again. In addition, many of these pieces are actually made of stainless or aluminum so you can actually remove that original finish by sanding, and then buffing them to a mirror shine, and then just clearing them with a rattle can to protect them.

I will PM you my number in case you want to discuss. Again, these are just my thoughts.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

There is brown cutting tripoli.
This cuts layers fast off an object, and can take off chrome plating.
Each time you use a different compound, you should change buffing wheels.
A stitched buffing wheel with a stitched leather core is best.
Please guys, avoid red rouge, unless packaging states something has changed.
Or wear a mask.....it has been found to cause health issues.
Green, Green Zam, and others will perform better, clean up easier, less greasy......
Been polishing metal for 44 years......

+1

I use the green and find it works awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-buffer-wheels-and-polishing-in-general and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.