• Buy it 38 votes
    93%
  • Dont buy it 3 votes
    7%

(41 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2018-08-09_8-23-33 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

I didnt get the spitting out two balls at the same time part

He is referencing the castle lock. It is a single pole that drops for brief periods of time to release one ball at a time. If it is out of adjustment or the mechanism is sticking, more than one ball will release when only one should be released.

Dont let the discussion of 5v reset issues from the main BSD thread have you gunshy. ANY B/W pin from 1992 to 1998 can suffer from this at any time if the game has not been bullet proofed.

Dont be scared to buy it. This game has been thoroughly documented in the main thread as well as various threads all over Pinside. Nearly any issue can be addressed by someone on the forums.

This was by far the game I cut my teeth with when learning pinball repair and diagnostics, although my TAF came in a close 2nd place. We can help you; be prepared to learn a lot as some of the issues can seem a bit daunting to diagnose at first. Read, read, read the main thread. Lors of information and knowledge there.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

can somebody explain me about pinsound? its the same sounds with better quality or are them diffrent sound/callouts/music?

Pinsound is a developed hardware board that brings true stereo sound to your sound system. It is absolutely incredible in terms of what it can offer, but there are a couple edges that need to be filed:

1. It is user friendly, but not so easy a monkey can do it. To people who are used to installing a ColorDMD or updating code on a Stern, installing PinSound is pretty easy. The board comes with a solid set of instructions; however, some people struggle with swapping boards and tend to hook things up wrong. Just go slowly, and you should be ok.

2. The original sounds will lack severely in audio quality compared to any soundset available from the Pinsound forums. Its sometimes an "all or none" solution with replacing old sounds for new ones. The originals suffer from horrible compression and lowpower. You pretty much will be replacing all old sounds and music for new ones.

3. It takes time to learn. You can create your own Pinsound soundsets. I mean, that's how these sound packages are getting made available; people are taking the time to do them and provide their efforts as downloadable filesets. If you plan to do this yourself, it can be a bit of a learning curve....

4. Expensive. For one game, no big deal, but if you look to swap boards in a 5+ pin collection at $379, it can get expensive quickly.

Just a couple things to consider before putting the money down. BSD does have a solid Pinsound fileset available. Look for it on YouTube....

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

The Pinsound mix is entirely different than stock BSD audio, and far creepier. By a lot. Like "Give little kids nightmares" levels of creepy.
The audio has never been my favorite part of the game, but I was blown away by the video of the Pinsound mix for BSD using original movie audio. I went to order a Pinsound board for BSD on Friday, and the mix was missing from the Pinsound site. Was I too late?? Arrggh!
I contacted the mix's author here, and was very happy to hear some great news from him--he has updated the BSD Pinsound mix to smooth out audio levels, and the new BSD mix is in the approval process on the Pinsound site. Board order made! Can't wait. Will do it again for STTNG too.
The BSD flyer hints that the game was designed for advanced players, and that was fair of them to say. BSD will frustrate most players, but if you're skilled or are willing to make the effort, the game is extremely rewarding. Ride "the 30 million wave" the first time, and you will totally understand.
In my mildly related opinion, Iron Man is BSD's "kid brother"--not a lot of depth on paper, mean and nasty to casuals, but man, once you get it, "just one more game"......

This guy gets it. Hard to piggyback or top that succinct review! I remember riding the 30M wave the first time. Think I heard the 30M callout once because I was so in shock that I had obtained 3x MB that my nerves froze and I couldn't make any shots, but I knew I wanted to do it again!!! Thus, the vicious "one more game" cycle rinses and repeats....

Get one when you can. I am hearing this game starts at $3000 now....? Wow, I remember when it was $1200 all day long. I think that was before Bowen's tutorial came out - then the game became pretty hot and stayed at the $2500 mark for a long time. Sounds like with the plastics and ramps w/decals now available as well as PinSound and ColorDMD support, the game has gotten some well-deserved attention.

OP, don't be in an insane hurry to get one. They come up fairly regularly. This isn't Data East's King Kong or Bally's Bigfoot - they show up when you least expect it or stop searching the internet everyday. Trust me, you get one - just keep logic ahead of emotion and take a fellow pinball owner or Pinsider with you - especially one that knows this game well. They'll be there to keep your feet on the ground when you start rationalizing "oh, I can fix that." when there's something like an ax sticking right out of the middle of the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 84.99
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 5.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-bsd?tu=NPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.