Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rollitover
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm going to look at a Secret Service today (from a member here) and we are considering a trade for my Stargate. If it all goes well, I'd like to be fair on the money aspect.

The tricky part is that according to the Pinside "averages" Stargate runs about $1,000 more than Secret Service, however, when I looked up Boston Pinball the difference for 2018 was only about $200.

So I guess I'll ask two questions:
1) If condition of both machines were the same, what would be a fair amount of cash exchange?
2) If a trade did not occur, what would be a fair price for an "average condition" Secret Service?

Thanks for any input.

#2 5 years ago

Not sure I'd do that trade..... I'm not a Gottlieb fan overall but stargate is the best one and is far superior to secret service imo. If you do the trade tho ....stargate usually sells for 1800-2500 depending on condition and ss usually sells for 1000-1300 depending on condition. Gl

#3 5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

I've never played Secret Service but it just looks like simple fun.

I'm thinking my guests and their children will appreciate it more than Stargate.

#4 5 years ago

Yes, Stargate is the much better pin. Play Secret Service and see if you like it. Simple gets boring quicker.

#5 5 years ago

1,000 on top of the secret service is fair imo.

#6 5 years ago

I am no expert or anything but I would recommend that you sell your Stargate outright first. That way you are more likely to gain full value (one just sold for $2600 here on Pinside).
After you sell, then go after another pin of your choice.
mho

#7 5 years ago

Agreed with what other folks are saying. All things being equal, somewhere around a grand difference. If the Secret Service is super nice and the Stargate is just okay, the gap lessens, etc. I actually like Secret Service, and the music choices are fun, but as others have said, it’s not a complex game....

#8 5 years ago

If the games are in similar condition, I would trade Stargate for Secret Service plus $1500. Stargate is definitely the better game.

#9 5 years ago

Stargate is easy to sell at $2,000+. Secret Service is tough to sell even at $1000. I would never do the trade because Secret Service is not a great game and will get boring quickly, but if you did, I would want at least $1250...and honestly probably more. If you don't want Stargate anymore, I would sell it outright and then go after a game, you'll be better off financially in the long run.

#10 5 years ago

Yeah, this was sort of what I was thinking. Again, I'm trying to be fair, so wanted other opinions going in. Maybe I'll see about just buying the SS outright if I like it and sell Stargate later, after the honeymoon period gives me a better idea.

Thanks everyone.

#11 5 years ago

I have owned both and have actually owned Secret Service three different times. If condition of machines is basically the same and you want a "fair" trade for both of you I would say $1000 to $1500 plus Secret Service for a Stargate. The $500 spread is because of 3 things. First off how bad do each of you want to do the trade. Second is actual value difference of about $1250 (give or take a few dollars). And lastly condition - which can only truly be judged looking at both machines in person.

From the "long term investment" standpoint Stargate is likely the better machine to own. But if you are interested in a cheaper machine non pinball guess will enjoy Secret Service isn't bad. I just think Stargate will go up in value faster than Secret Service over the next few years based on demand.

#12 5 years ago

Secret service gets boring after 30-40 plays.
It’s also tough to sell

#13 5 years ago

Don't do it!

Secrect servic is a dud!

Just sell your stargate outright and go buy something else if you are done w SG.

#14 5 years ago

Slowly back off..... slowly......NOW RUN!!!

#15 5 years ago

Wow, some of you are pretty harsh on this pin!

Is it really that bad? Like El Toro category?

#16 5 years ago

Find a better early DE like Time Machine, Laser War, or Torpedo Alley.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Find a better early DE like Time Machine, Laser War, or Torpedo Alley.

I had a Laser War for a while...if you think Secret Service is a tough resell...yeesh...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I had a Laser War for a while...if you think Secret Service is a tough resell...yeesh...

As they say,
easy to buy hard to sell

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 18.95
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-a-trade-i-d-like-to-be-fair?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.