Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    taito3.jpg
    taito2.jpg
    taito1.jpg
    P5150647.jpg
    old-homemade-nes-arcade-machine.png
    DK1.jpg
    .jpg
    DSC01650.jpg
    DSC02923_zps10933de8.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

I like MAME

Turn off bilinear filtering & apply triad scanline artifacts @ 1080p (do not run at a lower res as it affects the scanlines horribly) with the brightness & backlight reduced on the LCD. Increase contrast high enough to punch the color but not wash out the artifacts.

Do all that & the pic looks AWESOME

Don't do all that & meh, its good enough to game on, no worries.

I've built 6

I HAVE to be able to play Stargate/Defender, Tron/Discs of Tron as well as the classics with a dedicated 4 way & the brawler/action games with the 8ways.

So I built a franken panel, its ugly but pretty at the same time lol.

MAME.jpgMAME.jpg wires.jpgwires.jpg game.jpggame.jpg

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It has a VGA connector on it also, so you can see how terrible a LCD looks compared to an analog arcade monitor.

Hey now settle down

Actually I agree a 1-xxx board will look like crap on LCD monitors. It takes several crucial steps in MAME plus utilization of fan made artifacts not bundled with the download & some fair monitor calibration for games to look good on LCD.

But man I gotta tell ya. After 5 CRT arcades I love the look of LCD. In fact when I play MAME before my dedicated Cruis'n world racer it makes the game almost unbearable!

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

It looks perfect ratio size for the monitor. I lthink it's beautiful - most places online would charge 500+ for a CP like that - Did you really build that yourself?

I have over $1000 invested in just the control panel IIRC. Hell there's more than $600 in control components actually. Just the flight stick & spinner were a huge kick in the balls.

After building 5 machines I came up with the one of a kind layout you see now.

This design started out as cardboard in my basement for some intense testing. After 6 months of tweaking I drew it up & had a pro build the CAD file with lots of revisions until finally the CNC robots got to work. I had 2 panel tops shipped to me in case something happens in the future. The layout is that perfect & unlike anything else to the point I bought an extra panel lol.

Yes I did all the assembly, wiring & etc.

Notice the dedicated restricted short throw 4 way joystick is purposely offset above the buttons on the right. This allows me to play Defender/Stargate as intended as well as Asterioids. The same 4 way utilizes the first set of 2 buttons for the vertical classics.

The anodized push/pull spinner by apache controls & Happ flight Stick with Tron restrictor, recasted UV reactive shell & UV led strip allow me to play Both Tron's with accuracy.

I'm an alcoholic so I have 3.5" wide cup holders that are extra deep. They came from a boat outfitter supplier & are larger than most poker table cup holders (I can almost fit a champagne bottle in them. Wine or 5ths are no prob).

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Don't forget about $100 for that spinner too! My 500 estimate was for CP CNC, decals and CP assembly professionally done - not the hardware. Still, crazy nice. I spent probably about 40 hours on my CP by hand - and it's nowhere near the CNC detail that you have. I f'd up 2 times before the 3rd time coming out how I planned.
    I don't want to admit the Alcoholic part yet - I'm still in denial, but I have a spare PinGulp that I've been scratching my head on attaching to the cab
    The only reason to sell, is for me to make a better one - yours is #1 though.
    Are you using Hyperspin - wanna setup PinballFX?

Best spinner in the world = http://www.apachecontrols.com/products.html

They are sold out though I hope they restock. Knew I should have bought 2 just in case mine fails. I can't go to a GGG spinner or Ultimarc after using the Apache.

Yeah I run Hyperspin. It's so damn beautiful I just watch the animations & art often. I love how it offers elements of the cabinet art, marquee graphics & control panel patterns in a magical manner

I have yet to set up pinball FX. I am about to start back up on my LCD hyperpin soon though.

BTW

The 2 blue buttons right of the 4 way are clones of the 2 blue buttons to the left of the spinner. So you can stand center of the screen & use the buttons on the other side if you want (noobs use the buttons color coded next to the stick/spinner which is cool & part of the design). That way you aren't off to the left or right when playing. Example: right hand on spinner, left hand resting with the 2 blue buttons next to the far left 4 way set.

The black buttons are for the pro's able to recognize a NEO GEO layout or Asterioids/Stargate opportunity. Blue buttons are bright & obvious for casual visitors. The trio by the trackball have blue LED's to match the LED trackball to "match" the missile command, goldenTee & TigerWoodsPC center

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Those spinners are nice, but if you are just looking for a Tempest style, the Oscar Vortex is an awesome spinner. I just sold mine off not too long ago as I don't have need for it anymore.

I've never had an Oscar, those are long gone right? Man you are showing your MAME age lol

I had a few "slick stick" spinners with weights that were pretty damn impressive however. Wait now I'm looking old

Had 2 GGG's & 1 Ultimarc that worked well but I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Lolol Oscar and Slick Sticks. This *is* getting old manish!
    I have a GGG spinner, it's not too bad, and I really appreciate it's small footprint with my setup.

Beautiful machine

Damn it's a work of art

I really appreciate how clean & coordinated a cabinet like yours looks.

#56 10 years ago

Vector monitors look like neon signs after a hit of good acid.

If I could pick an infinite 3 second time loop to experience for eternity it would be the explosion of the Death Star on a vector monitor.

My god it's beautiful

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Check out this cab... If I bought a JAMMA conversion kit, could I some how mount my own joystick? Is that hard to do?

That's pre mamma jamma I think

If not I still don't think that cab is ideal for your project IMHO

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit reading this thread.

It tasted like garmonbozia

#123 10 years ago

lol you old timers remember this?

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Anybody interested in a multi-pin? It's going to play every pinball game ever made, sort of. I'm doing a conversion and have some Big Bang Bar parts left over if anybody needs them. Otherwise they're going in the trash.

Lol

MAME doesn't replace dedicated games, it just allows the non fanatics a chance to experience arcade gaming without committing to 100 old unreliable huge machines.

I do appreciate a room full of dedicated games, just not enough to buy em.

For me MAME is a great addition to my pinball lineup. If I had the room I'd add some controller specific dedicated games like 720, Paperboy & Operation Wolf but I don't so I can't

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-a-multicade?tu=pw79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.