Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    taito3.jpg
    taito2.jpg
    taito1.jpg
    P5150647.jpg
    old-homemade-nes-arcade-machine.png
    DK1.jpg
    .jpg
    DSC01650.jpg
    DSC02923_zps10933de8.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I don't know why people get the old ones, with old cpu, monitors etc. Seems weird to me. I'd maybe reuse an old cab but put a lcd and new pc, run Hyper-spin and play all mame, plus consoles etc. But.... that's just me.

It has been said already, but arcade games look better on an arcade monitor. There is no comparison. I built a MAME rig for a buddy of mine using one of the best LCD monitors you can get and it pales in comparison to mine running on a 30 year old Sanyo EZ20. He is already regretting not going the CRT route. That said, using an arcade monitor is not for the feint of heart.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Okay... so if I buy an old operating cabinet... say, an old Zaxxon cabinet... or space invaders cab... that is working... there is a plug and play board that I can buy that will turn it into a multicade. Just like that?

If you really want plug and play, find a JAMMA cabinet. Most games after say 1989 and later are Jamma. That way you can just buy a 60-in-1 card and plug it in.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Okay.. now we're on to something here. Granted, this is 1000% over my head. Computers aren't my strong point.
    I like the games on this board that you've linked. Perfect.
    Step 2, finding an old functioning cabinet.
    1) How do I identify if it's JAMMA or not.
    2) When I open up the insides, is it literally an unplug a few connectors... plug them into the new board... and bingo, off and running?

The great thing about Jamma cabs and games is that usually they can be found cheap and working. Unless you like fighting games most jamma games kind of suck so the price usually reflects that. If you can find a Dynamo cabinet, that is ideal as a lot of them have easy front panel access, they also allow easy rotation of the monitor. I found a great condition Dynamo cab with a beautiful 25" monitor for $100. It worked great as a multicade. I have since restored a Donkey Kong cab and use Mame in that.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Okay... I see. I need a vertical screen JAMMA game (preferably working
    So if I find one... looks like I should check this list?
    http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_board_list.html
    Then, all I do is buy one of the Jamma multicade boards... unplug the old board... plug in the new one and presto, I'm playing multicade?????

Yes, pretty much. Just do a search for Dynamo arcade cabinet and that should give you a good start. The seem to pop up on CL all of the time around here with some sort of Street Fighter in them. What is nice though if you go the iCade route, just rotate the monitor and boom, you are playing.

#39 10 years ago

Just make sure you see the monitor working before you buy it and that it has a nice, bright and clear picture. Monitor repair work is pretty easy, but if you don't like soldering then make sure you get a working one

#46 10 years ago

Those spinners are nice, but if you are just looking for a Tempest style, the Oscar Vortex is an awesome spinner. I just sold mine off not too long ago as I don't have need for it anymore.

#51 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I've never had an Oscar, those are long gone right? Man you are showing your MAME age lol
    I had a few "slick stick" spinners with weights that were pretty damn impressive however. Wait now I'm looking old
    Had 2 GGG's & 1 Ultimarc that worked well but I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

Not really, I have only been into it for about 2 years I just did my research and found one for sale on BYOAC. I was going to use it for a MultiVector setup with my Space Duel, but I got tired of waiting and decided pinball was a better way to fill the space in my home office I still have the DK though

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Tempest was a cool color vector monitor game back in the day. Sadly a lot of parts are gone to keep the original games running. MAME emulates them all so damn close its picking nits at times. I had several dedicated cab vids and they are all gone and replaced with a Megatouch Radion and a 60.
    Good to see a lot of guys still tinkering with them.

Vector games are one thing that loses a lot in translation to MAME. You just can't beat the look of a tuned in vector monitor. They are hypnotic. I play Tempest or Space Duel on MAME and even though the gameplay is the same, the visual experience was a big part of those games. That is why I really had high hopes for the Multi Vector card that Clay Cowgil is working on, but it looks like it is a year or two out still.

#66 10 years ago

That Jamma adapter from mike doesn't work very well, and I speak from experience. Converting to Jamma is pretty easy. You just buy a new harness ($15) and then buy a switching power supply to power it. Now, if you buy a Nintendo cab and it has a Sanyo EZ-20 in it, you will have to have a color inverter installed as those monitors worked a different way. A lot of them have it installed already, but some do not.

I know that may be confusing, just something to look out for if you are buying a Nintendo cab (DK, Popeye, etc)

baltimore.craigslist.org link

I don't know where in Maryland Gaithersburg is, but just looking at the CL up in that area there are a ton of decent Jamma cabs for a good price. If the monitor is horizontal, it probably could be modified with a little work to go vertical.

#69 10 years ago

I honestly don't know about the black bar thing on a 25" monitor. I don't know if the 60-in-1 cards have the option to display like that. Somebody else may be able to chime in.

Besides the Mortal Kombat (midway) cabinets, a lot of 90's jamma cabs were some sort of generic cab or some kind of conversion, so it is hard to tell what you can do without seeing them in person.

#92 10 years ago

Ya, Dynamo's rock. I love the slide out board. The HS-9 is the one I have. I had it in a vertical orientation for a while and it was awesome playing the classics like Galaga and the like on a 25" monitor. It is now on location at a friends boardgame store as a Marvel Vs. Capcom

#97 10 years ago

I agree that the ArcadeSD is a great product, it is just pricey. The 60 - in -1 emulation is spotty at best, but most game people actually play (DK, Galaga) are emulated fairly well. Others like Scramble, Rally -X, not so much.

#100 10 years ago

Just if you don't mind, please don't murder a classic dedicated cab for a 60 - in - 1 unless you leave all of the changes reversible. Like I said before, there are few dedicated jamma cabs from the 90's but anything from the 80's is going to be dedicated for the most part. I know this is coming form a guy that has MAME in a DK, but I made sure everything I did was reversible back to original. I know some people don't care, but it is like taking a nice Funhouse and ripping out the guts and putting a virtual pin in it.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

MAME, J-Pac and Soft15Khz FTW.

That is what I am using, and while it works great, there is A LOT of setup involved here.

#105 10 years ago

Most 60 in 1's I build I first fully restore as dedicated games cosmetically, but I rip out all the guts and save them for other future restorations. I then install a new switching or ATX power supply in the cab, wire in a new jamma harness and install a compatible monitor, be it CRT (preferred) or LCD (adequate). Then just plug in your 48, 60 or whatever in 1 board and go. I've never built a MAME machine, and have no desire to. If you seek better emulation, as mentioned, the Arcade SD board is the way to go. But if close enough is good enough for you, the 60 in 1's work just fine. Here are a couple I've built:

Those are tastfully done, good job!

This is my DK below. Custom CP and CP graphics. Also a link to the project thread I made for it. As you can see it was in rough shape when I got it

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122364.0.html

DK1.jpgDK1.jpg

#109 10 years ago

If it is a Dynamo, don't worry about the screen as you can rotate it easily in those. I think all of them aside from the shocase support monitor rotation.

You could also find a Japanese Candy Cab with a 29" monitor

#113 10 years ago

That is an HS-9 which I have. It is a great cabinet. I think it is only 25" wide if I remember right. Yes the 25" monitor will work great. That is a plug and play system there. Just buy the 60-in-1 and plug it in and you are playing. You could probably recoup the money by selling the existing PCB and artwork.

#114 10 years ago

....also if you just happen to get that particular machine I would be interested in buying the Varth PCB and art kit from you.

#120 10 years ago

No worries. I feel pretty dumb when I am asking about pinball related stuff, it is a new world for me

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This thread has been great. I'm now thoroughly confused, but it's still a great thread.
    A pinsider donated this to me and I got it up and running with some new joysticks and recrimping a ground wire.
    Now I'm like, "Hmm, what else can I do to it?"
    It's amazing how little goes into the game guts. It's all CRT and cab!
    What kind of board is on a Taito Arcade Classics? Anything else I can throw in? I see there's an SD card.

Well that is a Jamma card so theoretically you can put any Jamma board in that cab and play it provided you have the right controls.

#141 10 years ago

Technically yes. That kit is pretty much what we were talking about when converting a cab. That just gives you all of the pieces to do it.

#143 10 years ago

*deleted because I can't read*

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-a-multicade?tu=gov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.