Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    taito3.jpg
    taito2.jpg
    taito1.jpg
    P5150647.jpg
    old-homemade-nes-arcade-machine.png
    DK1.jpg
    .jpg
    DSC01650.jpg
    DSC02923_zps10933de8.jpg

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 10 years ago

dup sorry....

#152 10 years ago

dup post.... sorry

#153 10 years ago

i think alot of the "multi" cade artwork is quite craptastic and feels very cheap to me. lots of blue flames, monster garage stuff, cut n paste "characters" like mario and pacman, very "man cavish" crap.

i love the TIME OUT TUNNEL multi artwork rich is making over @ thisoldgame......

http://www.thisoldgame.com/products/time-out-tunnel-upright

Quoted from Lermods:

Anybody know a Good place to get custom decals for the cabinets?

#154 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

I would not say all 60 boards suck but some really do from poor construction to bad sound and a short life. They fill a void and some are pretty decent.For someone that just wants basic games and to flip a switch and have a simple menu come up and play it works well.
    MAME is still the "best" one to have IMHO but cost and tech wise its not for everyone. I never found a light gun to interface very well with MAME but that was over 5 years ago.
    The Arcade SD sounds cool. A good read on it is over on KLOV
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=197982&highlight=arcadesd

A quick summary of options based on my experience/knowledge:

MAME: most available games by far (incl. later-gen arcade games), requires a pc and programming knowledge, emulation quality varies (not always perfect, even for older games), basically a computer gaming system with arcade controls in an arcade cab.

Arcade SD: Best option for classic arcade games (pacman variants, donkey kong,frogger, Mr Do, Frogger, Xevious, Zaxxon, etc. etc.), simple plug-and-play jamma card for any jamma arcade cabinet (can be found on the cheap!), more accurate emulation than MAME for supported games (around 95+ vertical games and slowly increasing), a bit pricier than the 60-in-1 ($300? but well worth it for the number of accurate games you get), customizable menu to offer user-selectable subset of games.

60-in-1: Cheap option, plug-and-play jamma board, actually fewer than 60 games (different speeds of some games count as different games), does NOT handle 4-way games with an 8-way joystick well (and 8-way games do not play well with a 4-way stick), many glitches in emulation and sound quality.

jrok WMS board: a great jamma board for WMS games (Robotron, Defender, Stargate, Joust, Splat, Bubbles, Sinistar, Blaster); NOT EMULATED--roms run on original processors (modern components), plug-and-play; no emulator does these games true justice because of the timing quirks of the original arcade units. Availability of this board is sporadic.

I also should add that the Arcade SD board only needs a 5V power source to run. So, you can just stick a monitor and this card (with 5V adapter) into a small box with arcade controls and have a killer bartop classic arcade system! (I want to do this someday.) Standard controls needed to play 90% of the games are a joystick and 2 buttons; add a second set for certain 2-player games if desired. A couple of games use a trackball or a wheel (like Arkanoid). An 8-way joystick is recommended (and leafswitches >> microswitches!); the SD handles 8-way stick input smoothly for 4-way games (like the pacman games, frogger, etc.)

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Anybody interested in a multi-pin? It's going to play every pinball game ever made, sort of. I'm doing a conversion and have some Big Bang Bar parts left over if anybody needs them. Otherwise they're going in the trash.

Lol

MAME doesn't replace dedicated games, it just allows the non fanatics a chance to experience arcade gaming without committing to 100 old unreliable huge machines.

I do appreciate a room full of dedicated games, just not enough to buy em.

For me MAME is a great addition to my pinball lineup. If I had the room I'd add some controller specific dedicated games like 720, Paperboy & Operation Wolf but I don't so I can't

4 years later
    #156 6 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Battlezone- meh.
    Tempest- OH YEA!!
    I had a space invaders deluxe with the 3D / blacklight monitor surround and vector monitor. It was pretty cool and eye candy at the time. I needed to rebuild the HV section and I had a hell of a time finding parts. MAME was / is a godsend in keeping the classic games running.
    Those damn raster monitors ruined everything.

Battle zone, I played it for about an hour on a ride up north in 1981. I was taken. That was a long time ago, but I can remember stopping in the truck stop. It was rustic. They had home made jerky. We played it for a good hour. My mom was patient.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-a-multicade/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.