8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by davebart5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.27.52 PM.png
    #1 8 years ago

Hi Pinsiders,

I have a Gottlieb Haunted House I'm working on and as you may know they have a metal prop-bar under the playfield. I've read many articles saying not to use these bars because they warp the PF and cause paint to crack. What are some recommended ways you guys prop up the PF to service it?

I was going to find a piece of wood that matches the metal bar to support the other side. It blows me away that Gottlieb didn't install a second prop-bar on the other side to support it evenly. Is this just another oversight they made when producing these games?

Thanks to anyone who has any good advice here.

Dave

// Error: Image 419518 not found //

#2 8 years ago

They are perfectly OK to use now and then, just don't leave it propped up for extended periods of time.

#3 8 years ago

I usually flip it all the way back and rest the playfield on backbox, or measure and cut a prop rod out of wood to hold the other side like you said, too me one rod twists the playfield more than I like.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

It blows me away that Gottlieb didn't install a second prop-bar on the other side to support it evenly. Is this just another oversight they made when producing these games?
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.27.52 PM.png

Genie and Roller Disco both have a prop bar in "H" shape. Could have been a cost cutting measure or could be due to lower PF on HH?( (I have no inside knowledge, just educated guesses based on what I know)

#5 8 years ago

Ok good to know I can use it occasionally. I think I'll cut a piece of wood and prop the other side to play it safe. It definitely looks tilted when it's propped up and it makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks guys.

Dave

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

Ok good to know I can use it occasionally. I think I'll cut a piece of wood and prop the other side to play it safe. It definitely looks tilted when it's propped up and it makes me uncomfortable.
    Thanks guys.
    Dave

No need, use the lockdown bar to prop it up. My devils dare has the double bar prop stick, not sure why your HH doesn't have it.

#7 8 years ago

Ronnie - I tried to use the lock down bar, but when I put it in a position to match the actual prop-bar, it starts to hit a lamp fixture and I'd hate to break something. I'm going to try the lock down bar again tonight and see if I can find a new spot to prop. I was doing it late last night and had to call it quits shortly after.

As far as I know, and have ever seen with the HH, there is only one prop bar in the game. I'm not trying to knock Gottlieb, because I love Gottlieb and want to make system 80's the foundation of my collection, it's just everything I read regarding the HH is that they cut costs on it (no multi-ball, speech, etc.). It is what it is I guess... I'm assuming the cost had something to do with it, because there is a notch in the lower PF for a second bar that would perfectly match the current bar. It's just there is no second bar for some weird reason.

#8 8 years ago

Problem solved. Found an old wooden roll bar you receive when going through shoulder surgery rehab to lift above your head. It's not 100% parallel with the original bar, but it fits in nice and doesn't press on any sensitive parts. It definitely evens out the weight distribution and looks as if everything is secure and even.

I will never leave the PF up all night, but this surely works for when I'm tinkering underneath.

IMG_2408.JPGIMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPGIMG_2409.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-needed-prop-bars-and-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.