advice needed pinbot purchase

By billccm

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello
I was at zapcon yesterday and played a pinbot machine that was for sale. It was a pretty tired machine. Asking price was $1250.
The good;
Backglass was perfect. Maybe even recently restored. Outer wood and paint was good to very good. Looks like partial led conversion here and there.
The bad;
Playfield is worn out. Some areas bare wood, some areas flaking. Towards the end of a long day of playing right flipper started chattering.
I'm looking for a project machine to fix up. Any advice on what to offer, and best route for playfield restoration?
Thank you, Bill

#2 8 years ago

Vid's playfield restoration guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Rebuilding flippers is pretty cheap and not time consuming. Broken plastics are harder to repair and make it look great. Check and see if reproductions are available.

If you look in the game archive on Pinside it shows PIN-BOT was listed 22 times with a median asking price of $1500.

I guess it comes down to how bad is that playfield. $1250 isn't bad but if you think you'll have to replace the playfield I think $700-$800 is logical.

#3 8 years ago

Pinbot has a translite as opposed to a screenprinted backglass, so those are usually in good shape regardless.

Wouldn't worry about the flipper. Likely a EOS switch adjustment. If you bought it you should probably rebuild flippers anyway, about $20 in parts and a couple hours of your time. Search for "Vid's Guide to Rebuilding Flippers" here in the forums.

The pf is a big job. The mylar on this machine is problematic too, likely taking off insert art if you remove it. Many that do pf restorations won't touch sys 11 games due to the planking issues and the type of clear that was used.

Personally, for a game as common as pinbot, I would either find one in better shape if pf condition is a dealbreaker, or buy it at the right price and play the crap out of it regardless of how the playfield looks. However some folks in this forum have made a solid go at pinbot pf restorations so I would search those as well to get a gauge on how comfortable you might be if you decide to attempt it. I contemplated finding a repro pf and doing a swap but ultimately decided that it would be too much investment for this particular game.

Mine has a couple of bare spots by the outholes but they don't bother me too much. I paid like $700 for mine tho (keep in mind it needed a bit of work). I personally would probably never pay more than $1k for what I would consider a "project" unless it was something like a MM or MB.

Other opinions welcome.

#4 8 years ago

Topper in good shape or missing?
Is the board in good shape with no hacks or battery leakage?

If the only problem is a worn playfield, they make repros. Pinbot would be a good project pin imo, not a whole lot going on with it. You can do a pf swap and rebuild every mech and learn a lot as you go.

Like stated above try to get it for less than 800, but when they reject that offer... go with your gut or wait for another one to come along there are a lot of Pin*Bots out there.

Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-needed-pinbot-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.