• Replace WW 39 votes
    52%
  • Try to convince parents I can have 4 pins 15 votes
    20%

(75 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150428_221556 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robdutch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So... I have a problem.
Currently I own a Shadow, Whirlwind, Judge Dredd and a Lost World. (TZ and Cyclone also in the house but not mine)
Lost World will leave soon as it was bought as a project.
Since I still live with my parents I can't fill the whole house with machines, so 3 machines is MAX.

But I really want a STTNG and I don't know what game should leave for it.
-Shadow is my first pin and my holy grail so it will never leave.
-Judge Dredd I added a month ago, I like it but I don't know if I love it. Gf likes it. It's in great shape.
-Whirlwind I like a lot, but its playfield and cabinet are not in the best shape (6 or 7 /10) and without topper. Does have new LED displays. Gf doesn't like it.

Any advice?

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone Forget to tell something though.. I have got a slotmachine that takes up almost the same space (only the width) as a pinball machine. Thinking of selling that, and trying to convince my parents that the cleared up space must be occupied by a new pin (see photo)

Quoted from Coindork:

Sounds like its really between getting rid of Judge Dredd or Getting rid of Whirlwind.
If Judge Dredd is really nice and Whirlwind is kind of a beater I would get rid of Whirlwind.
Plus you say your girlfriend likes Judge Dredd and I assume you like getting laid at least as much as you like pinball.

That's indeed the question.. Judge is faded and doesn't have a topper, but other than that it's pretty perfect. LOL at your last sentence

Quoted from Thor-NL:

When you read your own post it's not that hard ...

Replace WW with ST:TNG

Hahah yeah I get that idea too when I read it again. I'm only wondering if 2 widebody pins in such a small collection wouldn't be weird..

Quoted from bssbllr:

They’re his dads.

I unveiled my deepest secret indeed

Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would say WW too. You could always pick up a better condition one in the future if you really miss it.

JD hasn’t been around too long and the GF likes it. It is a widebody and although I love JD, it doesn’t shoot as well as STTNG.

FWIW I’ve owned JD three times and it was my first pin. Owned (still own) STTNG twice and WW once. All good games IMO.

Nice to get input from someone that owned all 3! I'm starting to think the same: sell the Whirlwind and once I live on my own and have money/room to spare (preferably with gf), buy another WW in better condition

Quoted from grantopia:

WW is my favorite game so I'm probably biased, but I'd rather have a second system 11 game around to compliment all the DMD games. I like JD too but if you like STTNG better than I'd swap those. In the US (at least my area) JD is much easier and usually cheaper to reacquire than a WW should you ever want the game back. I like your 3 current games better than STTNG though so don't listen to me .

Haha WW is a favorite for many people, and I understand why! Swapping JD with STTNG is the other option indeed, but would it be the correct one.. In the Netherlands it seems that there is almost always a Whirlwind and a Judge Dredd for sale, so it's not that they are rare here.
20150428_221556 (resized).jpg20150428_221556 (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

How old are you? If you're over 21, I'd be more concerned with getting my own place instead of a new pinball machine.

24, college student. Don't live too far from my school, so not really bothered to leave home. Living on my own would be really expensive too, rent for students is outrageous in the Netherlands: a lot of money for a crap 10m2/15m2 room and no space for pins.. Would rather buy another pinball machine

Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would get rid of Whirlwind.

Thanks for the advice! If it leaves, it will be back in a few years haha.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

As much as I want to say get rid of that slot machine and buy a STTNG, I have to agree with previous poster that I would prioritize your purchases given your age and situation. By the age of 24 I owned two homes. How did I do it-by working two jobs in addition to taking 18 hours of classes per semester. I also had some friends move in as roommates to help pay the mortgage and then rented out the other property. You could sell your TZ for a pretty penny and put that down on a condo or something as a down payment? I have seen too many young adults stuck in their parents house because they fear the cost of living(excuses). Next thing you know you are in your 30's still living with your parents-you do not want that.

My recommendation is to sell a few games and get out of your parents home asap. Find some roommates to help with the rent or mortgage

Thanks for your story/advice pinmister! The problem here is that you can't rent an appartment/room with bathroom and kitchen as a student in the Netherlands. If you want that, you got to show your paychecks and work fulltime. A lot of landlords don't want students, even if they have pinball machines

If I move out of the house, I want my own toilet and fridge! The only way to do that here is to do "anti-kraak", you live in a building that's otherwise empty to prevent it from being taken by homeless or vandalised. I have 2 friends that are doing that, maybe I should look at that option Renting a dorm room is not for me.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I’m a big fan of WW. But if you decide to sell that and get a new one in the future make sure it has a fan topper. It doesnt affect game play but i think it affects game experience. I don’t run out and install aftermarket toppers on my games, but i like having the ones that were designed with it especially when they are interactive. It would be like owning an ES and not having the shaker motor. Just not the same...

Yes I'm definitely missing the topper right now. Have tried to find a motor and such, but it's not cheap to buy them that way. I also don't like toppers on machines that originally don't have one..

Quoted from Passave:

I would say just be happy with what you have, if you start wanting other machines your collection will grow and grow, and before you know it you will have over 100 like me.

Oh I am happy with what I've got, some of the best bang for your buck pins if you ask me. Maybe I should collect more and more so I can build a house from them, that would solve the problem of me living with my parents

On another note, it's good to look at apartments again. When I last checked there was nothing affordable/suitable for a student, but maybe times have changed. So I will look for a place of my own, and I will look for a STTNG

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Always try to have more of course, but for me it's easy keeping WW over JD.

Even though it is a pretty beat up one without a topper?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I see what you are saying, but all the topper does is add to resale.

For me WW is a much much better game than JD; quality over quantity. Buy if they are plentiful as you say, it may be worth it to get rid of it and pick up a good one down the road as mentioned above.
Fuck it, ditch WW and get STNG. Then let your lady be happy with JD whilst keeping it on the trading/selling block for the next machine!

Hahah I'm not sure yet about WW, or JD lol. But I can always sell one of them and easily find a better looking one. If WW leaves than it will be back in a few years!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Give back Cyclone and buy STTNG.

Cyclone is from my dad, don't want to mess with Cyclone or TZ haha..

Quoted from Spagano314:

I would sell both WW and JD and but whatever you want and leave a slot open for a future game.

You would? What future game are you thinking of? Something NIB or just another A class pin?

Quoted from Chicoman:

I agree with this post....dump them both! Keep a slot open for a NIB pin from Deeproot or something coming down the road with Stern. 2020 will be chocked full on BIG TIME licenses for NIB pins.

I'm not sure NIB pins are something for me, for that money I can buy A class pins of which I know that I like them (LOTR to name one). There would even be money left over to buy a cheap dmd or a system 11 And if I'm honest, will deeproot games make it to the Netherlands big time? I think if they come out, they'll be really rare (read expensive) here.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus Deeproot

Amen lol

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

You could buy anything, really. I don’t know what the market is like where you live, but I would think that if you sold both WW and JD you should almost be able to by a new stern or another great Bally/Williams for around $5,000-$6,000. I personally love JD and Whirlwind, but I would rather play several other games at are in the price range of selling both. As someone else said, just be happy with what you have. I had 12 machines and dropped down to 7. I don’t regret it at all.

You're right, if I sell WW, JD and Lost World there will be some money to spend. For $5000-$6000 there are a lot of machines to choose from. Something like a LOTR or TSPP would be great next to my Shadow. The problem I have is that I don't know if I'd like to drop back to just 2 games. That's something to think about, there only fit 2 games in my bedroom so that might be the right amount of pins.

Quoted from DCRand:

Advice from an old em guy ---- dump the slot machine and convince your parents that a quaint 1970's era em machine would add a nice bit of nostalgia to the collection. Then of course you can sell the WW to get the ST:TNG also.

Haha thanks for the advice! We've had a Fun Fest and a Wizard and I understand why a lot of people love EM's, but if I'm honest I don't know if they're something for me. I rarely played them. Yes it would bring nostalgia, but as a 24 year old a lot of newer pins are already nostalgic to me (80's, 90's, 00's)

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Please don't judge EMs on funfest.
There's a reason we call it fuckfest

Never knew that

I might get one when I live on my own.
But at the moment it's replacing a pin (+Lost World) in exchange for a STTNG, or replacing both with something like LOTR or Iron Maiden Pro

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robdutch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-needed-on-collection?tu=robdutch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.