• Latest reply 6 months ago by kimbleseven
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

364376.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I purchased a mint CPR backglass for my Haunted House from a private seller. My original glass has issues and I want to transfer my bottom lift trim onto the new glass. Any advice on how to do this, what not to do, and how to secure it onto the new glass would be greatly appreciated!

I was given the advice to use a long razor to slide down in front of the old glass into the trim to cut the adhesive, and use a blow-dryer for a little heat to help. I was also told to note where the resistance is when I cut to know where the taping is located. Finally, I was told glazing tape is what I should use for this to reapply onto my new glass.

Anyone have any advice on this, and what sort of tape and size you might have used before.

Thank you!

Dave

#2 5 years ago

You can try soaking the channel in goo gone, then try to slowly work it loose. The goo gone won't harm the paint (but wait a day or two to let it dry if you plan on using triple thick. The goo gone repels it a bit).

Another method is to hang it upside-down and let gravity do the work.
https://www.flippers.com/pin-tips.html#Remove_Rail

Another method is to use a block of wood and a mallet to slowly tap the channel off the glass.

Or, lastly, check with gatecrasher on the forums to see if he has a substitute channel that might fit if yours is all rusty.

#3 5 years ago

Great advice on the goo gone and/or gravity release. I'm gonna try the gravity option first...

Once I get this thing off and feel it's in good enough shape to be applied to the new one, what sort of adhesive should I use to secure it onto the new glass?

#4 5 years ago

Two pieces of friction tape if you need it.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can try soaking the channel in goo gone, then try to slowly work it loose. The goo gone won't harm the paint

I have sad news to report that the goo-gone completely made the paint bubble off and now the entire bottom 1/4 of the backglass is lifting off the glass. It's ok, I appreciate your willingness to offer advice here and it technically worked, cause the lift trim came off. And the glass was already ruined. It was a 7 or 8 out of 10, but I had a freak accident drop something on it and put a small chip in the paint in a visible place. Then, I tried to touch it up myself and ruined it more. So, the glass was already something I planned on selling or dumping.

I got the channel off due to the goo-gone, and now going to get the rust off and put it on the CPR repro.

Thanks anyways!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I have sad news to report that the goo-gone completely made the paint bubble off and now the entire bottom 1/4 of the backglass is lifting off the glass. It's ok, I appreciate your willingness to offer advice here and it technically worked, cause the lift trim came off. And the glass was already ruined. It was a 7 or 8 out of 10, but I had a freak accident drop something on it and put a small chip in the paint in a visible place. Then, I tried to touch it up myself and ruined it more. So, the glass was already something I planned on selling or dumping.
I got the channel off due to the goo-gone, and now going to get the rust off and put it on the CPR repro.
Thanks anyways!

Sorry that happened but that is what I would have thought would happen by soaking it in goo gone. Goo gone removes adhesive.

I would have recommended just getting a new lift channel if they are available. I did that with a new Firepower BG I got for a restore I did years ago.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Another method is to hang it upside-down and let gravity do the work.
https://www.flippers.com/pin-tips.html#Remove_Rail

^ this

#8 5 years ago

I was going to try the gravity method, but the trim was severely rusted on and seemed like it was not budging. Wish I would have tried heating the old adhesive with a blow dryer as well before goo gone.

It does make me very sad that a decent condition original glass got ruined, but the way I look at it, lesson learned. My goal in all of this is to learn anything I can about maintaining games and this is an experiment that went wrong but knowledge is gained.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I would have recommended just getting a new lift channel if they are available. I did that with a new Firepower BG I got for a restore I did years ago.

Man, I searched everywhere for a replacement system 80 lift trim. Called Steve Young, TNT, put an ad up on Pinside. Nothing. They are out of stock everywhere. I swear the minute PBR reproduces them or someone has one, I'm gonna buy one just as an extra on hand.

#10 5 years ago

You could probably just cut an inch off of these

364376.jpg

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You could probably just cut an inch off of these

364376.jpg

Thanks Vid! Looking into this now and will probably buy one or two to experiment with.

#12 5 years ago

The only minor thing about those lift channels is that the lip is bent down, and not straight out like with gottlieb lift channels. Either way, they sure would look a lot better than an ugly rusty one.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The only minor thing about those lift channels is that the lip is bent down, and not straight out like with gottlieb lift channels.

If there was enough demand, I'm sure Gatecrasher could bend some straight.

But like you said, even with the bent lip, a new one is 10000x better than a rusty one on an otherwise restored machine.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If there was enough demand, I'm sure Gatecrasher could bend some straight.
But like you said, even with the bent lip, a new one is 10000x better than a rusty one on an otherwise restored machine.

Right now, I have 3 or 4 I wouldn't mind replacing.

5 years later
#15 6 months ago

Anyone know where to buy these system80 lift channels? Maybe someone has now reproduced them?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside