(Topic ID: 132485)

Advice needed for removing parts (Bottom)

By tezting

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mmr61184
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Billede_16-07-15_11.19.05.jpg
Billede_16-07-15_11.19.24.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi,
I am about to do my third restoration (T2) but this will be the first time where I will be removing all parts from the bottom of the playfield.
Need advice on the best way to do so.

Fx:
- Are you removing the coils from the wires?
- How do you organize it?

I want to be sure that I can put it correct back together again so really need your experience with this process

#2 4 years ago

Depends what you are doing. If you just want them all off to swap PF's, with the top of the PF already unpopulated, the best method I think is to unscrew/detach it all with the top flat on the floor (protect obviously), slide a cardboard piece underneath, and shimmy all the parts onto this. This way they maintain their general area, and you can send out the PF/do whatever, and still unsolder and resolder part/mech to clean restore, all the while keeping it's original position in the maze.

#3 4 years ago

and take lots of photos (from multiple angles) prior to removing parts and again after removing them.

it also doesn't hurt to take video with your own color commentary when removing the parts. this way if you don't happen to capture exactly what you need to see in the photos, you still have step-by-step instructions of what you did.

and like Atomicboy mentioned, having a sheet of cardboard the size of your playfield where you can position the removed parts in their relative positions will go a long way when it comes time to re-populate it.

#4 4 years ago

Take lots of pictures. I take a picture of each coil so that the wire colors are visible then de-solder them all. The manual also tells you which wire goes where.

When I'm doing a full tear down first step is disconnect all the connectors then de- solder all coils as sometimes you have to pull one out to get to a part on the top

For the most part all the coils mechs are held into place with the standard hex head wood screw. I throw them all into a small red storage bin to be tumbled. I have a long work bench where I lay out all the mechs waiting to be cleaned.

After the coils and mechs are off I take another round of pictures of the switches and lamps. Some that are close I focus in on the wire color to make sure which switch or controlled lamp goes where. But even if you are wrong you can easily fix when testing the switches and lamps prior to full populating.

Next unscrew all switches, individual lamp and pcb lamp boards. All switch screws should be the same variety as the mech screws and the lamp ones are the smaller brass screws (don't tumble the brass ones as the finish will come off). After all this removal the wire harnesses can come off - well after removing the connectors from any motor or opto boards

Then I take another set of pics and remove everything else which mainly consists of the wire harness supports, t nuts, and pf support hardware

Now sand the back of the pf for a nice clean look

#5 4 years ago

Fast and furious method.

Take clear pics of all coil lug wiring and overall playfield pics.
Snip wires going to lugs.
Unscrew everything.
Remove harness.
Remove mechs.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

If you just want them all off to swap PF's, with the top of the PF already unpopulated

That is what I would like to do.
So the playfield is "empty" on both sides.

Thank you all for the help

#7 4 years ago

The harness is the thing that occupies most of the playfield and that has a memory so will not be as difficult to reinstall as you think. If doing a swap take the time to clean everything, nothing worse than a dirty swap on a new playfield.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The harness is the thing that occupies most of the playfield and that has a memory so will not be as difficult to reinstall as you think. If doing a swap take the time to clean everything, nothing worse than a dirty swap on a new playfield.

I don't know, I'd take a dirty swap with a new pf over a dirty old pf and parts

#9 4 years ago

Anything I should be aware of about the gi? It is many of the wires.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't know, I'd take a dirty swap with a new pf over a dirty old pf and parts

That dirt will find its way to the top. To each his/her own I guess but if you're going through the trouble I would suggest a thorough job.

Quoted from tezting:

Anything I should be aware of about the gi? It is many of the wires.

The GI harness has a memory and branches in a way that makes it pretty obvious where stuff goes.

I separate my harnesses before cleaning. Reinstall switches, GI then coil and flasher harness. Pay close attention to the pop area.

T2 is a pretty game, shouldn't be too bad. Good luck.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

That dirt will find its way to the top. To each his/her own I guess but if you're going through the trouble I would suggest a thorough job.

The GI harness has a memory and branches in a way that makes it pretty obvious where stuff goes.
I separate my harnesses before cleaning. Reinstall switches, GI then coil and flasher harness. Pay close attention to the pop area.
T2 is a pretty game, shouldn't be too bad. Good luck.

Thank you for the help

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

So things a slowly going the right way.
But now I am in doubt what to do.
It is regarding the pop bumpers bulb socket. It seems to be running via some steel? How should I dismount it? It looks like I can not remove the pop bumper without disconnecting the socket.

Billede_16-07-15_11.19.24.jpg

Billede_16-07-15_11.19.05.jpg

#14 4 years ago

Done!
Thank you

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

So things a slowly going the right way.
But now I am in doubt what to do.
It is regarding the pop bumpers bulb socket. It seems to be running via some steel? How should I dismount it? It looks like I can not remove the pop bumper without disconnecting the socket.
Billede_16-07-15_11.19.24.jpg Billede_16-07-15_11.19.05.jpg

Take very very detailed pics trust me you will thank yourself later

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside