• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Terminator-2_low_res (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello,
last year my father bought a Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Although it plays okay. The playfield is in very bad condition and the previous owner tried to restore it with markers and tipp-ex correction fluid. I offered my father to restore the machine. I bought an extra playfield that i wanted to restore and cc. While this playfield was also in a bad condition. The fine art work with the T-800 machines where covered in mylar so this seemed a good first playfield restoration project. By following vid1900 guide and many other topics i started off with the project. Cleaned the playfield as best as i could. Preserved the artwork with a cc. And sanded the layer of cc. It's now in the stage of the attached image.

I would like some advice for the next step. I want to mask the playfield and airbrush the colors. Since i sanded the field it is now kinda dull. Will this be a problem when mixing the correct color? Maybe i should polish the playfield first before doing the touchups?

Also i would like to know if there is another way to appy the frisket. I can put it on the playfield and cut out the sections by hand. But i also have a plotter that i've been planning to use for the inserts. I scanned the whole playfield 1. Could it be a viable method to plot the playfield for each color on the frisket and overlay it on the playfield?

Thanks in advance!

Terminator-2_low_res (resized).jpgTerminator-2_low_res (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Check out the Silhouette Cameo cutter club for info on cutting masks with a plotter including paint mask materials. You can make perfect keylines using this approach.

#3 6 years ago

Frisket will pull original graphics up/off when it is removed,sticky stuff!
The Field must be cleaned and clear-coated with 2 coats before restoration.re-painting begins.
The thin layer of clear really makes it nice when applying paint/ touch-ups as they can be wiped away and re-applied.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 21.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-needed-for-next-step-in-1st-time-playfield-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.