• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Congo_Video_insert.JPG
Congo_Video_insert_damage.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I recently acquired a Congo that has the letter "V" missing from the "Video" insert decal in front of the main Mystery hole eject. This is probably because this is where the ball lands from the Eject and there is no mylar to protect it. Please see red circled area in the attached picture.

I thought about just using some some black acrylic paint to paint both the missing insert outlines and the missing letter "V" in the word "Video." Then perhaps use water-based varathane and medicine dropper to seal and level the insert where the decal has being chipped away. I thought this might be easier than to trying to make a water based slide decal for the missing letter V.

Any thoughts, ideas and recommendations would be appreciated on approaches to this. I have never touched a playfield so I am definitely a newbie at this.
Thanks
Chet

Congo_Video_insert_damage.JPGCongo_Video_insert_damage.JPG Congo_Video_insert.JPGCongo_Video_insert.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Plenty of places can make the Water Slide decal for you (like your local hobby shop).

I'd apply the decal, then send the playfield out for clear coat. Let the coating shop level the hole.

#3 11 years ago

I've not done much of this myself, but for something that small everything I've read suggests that you absolutely do not want to go the decal route. The method you describe is more or less the gold standard (some use thin super glue or a spot clear coat or another varathane alternative, but the concept is the same.)

Unless this has been repaired with a decal before, that's not a decal you are touching up, it's original playfield art. It would be much harder to chip away the old art/clear and then perfectly align a decal, and you'd end up with a slightly raised area. You are on the right track.

#4 11 years ago

Don't chip anything away.

Waterslide decals are thinner than tissue paper. As they dry, they conform to the surface exactly.

Cut the decal, using only the section you need for the damaged area.

If you send it out for clear coating, you will be set for life.

If you just spot clear over the decal, you should put down a Mylar circle to protect from future wear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-needed-best-way-to-repair-partially-missing-insert-decal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.