Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spacing.JPG
    oldgirls.JPG
    doors.JPG
    funlights.JPG
    IMG_0427_s.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    basement1.jpg
    batcave.jpg
    30_January_2013_(6)_(resized).JPG
    house_Jan_2014_(1)_(resized).JPG
    building_(4)_(resized).JPG
    Hilltop_revised_site_plans-5_(resized).jpg
    Hilltop_revised_site_plans-1_(resized).jpg
    twister_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0002_(resized).JPG
    Dayhuffs_007_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am looking for advice form those that have gone through the process of buiding out, adding on, or moving in order to house your growing collections. I am hoping to get some advice/opinions and learn from mistakes you made along the way in regard to the build out.

Can you please share some insight.

Thinsg like:

Did you have a plan for set # before expanding your space?
    Did you out grow your new space?
    Did you build in dedicated space for cab work, shop out room, parts storage, etc?
    What do you wish you had done differently?
    What do you really like?

Anything really that you can share on things to make it better, avoid, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I ask as our collection is now passing the 40 game threshold and I am putting them in the climate controled storage till the addition, build out, or moving to a bigger place comes to fruition in a year or so. We have many options on the table which include moving slightly out of town where we could build a cleary barn as large as we want, knocking down our current garage and building a 3 story garage (basement w spancrete for project work, main floor for cars in the front and barspace/lounge in the back, and top floor with room for 50 games), or add a story on the house to fit 20 more inside. Basically we have lots of options at this stage and are just at the begining of planning so now is the time to gather feedback.

In an eventual state i would like to have ~70-100 (my current thoughts) and would like to be able to host/open the collection a couple times each year for gatherings and competitions.

thanks in adavance!

If anyone does not want to discuss in public then PMs are cool also.

#11 7 years ago

good advice so far guys.

Where is Dayhuff and PMwolf and RD when you need them?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

I put on a 1000 sq ft addition and the only thing I would do different is add outlets in the floor. Unless your room is long and narrow you will want something in the middle that requires power so add them now. My electrician said he had never run so much wire. I also have each wall on a separate light switch so that I can individually turn on whatever section I want. Also added outlets near the ceiling for all those extra accessories that you have that need power. I added a disco ball in the ceiling and spots from the sides to light it. My wife loves that.

great ideas!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

Although an elevator would be really cool, I think you will find that with all the permits and everything, it will be horribly expensive. I have heard somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K.

I think Pete (PM Wolf) made a man/hand powered elevator.. That is what I woudl likely do if I went with a 2nd story game room.

As for multipurpose, IF we went with the 3 level garage, a portion woudl be built as an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) with the idea that it could be livable space and rented out or possiby if we stay in the house as we age then rent out the main house and live in the 700sqft poriton of ADU. We have always joked that we only need a 700sqft house with a 4000 sq ft shop/play space.

My real ideal property would be 4 acres just slightly out of town with a 1000sqft house and a buried but walkout basement that is 4000 sqft and hidden. That way it just appears to be a cute livable small house till you go in the basement. There would also be an underground tunnel to an old silo that has been converted for an observatory, but that is just the thing of childhood dreams

#21 7 years ago

I actually would love to dig out the partial crawlspace (to a full basement) on my house but it does not seem to be a common thing in WI and I cant find a contractor to even give me a bid on that project.

#25 7 years ago

thanks Pete! I love your space. I need to see it in person sometime also

I am thinking I should design it all for 70 pins, plus lounge, plus show space, plus some extra hang out space... and then plan where the next 30 pins are going to go

#26 7 years ago

IF we do the multilevel garage then I think it will be 24w X 45 D.

Planning on 3 rows of pins but now thinking I may need more width to have better asiles...

love these first world problems

#31 7 years ago

thanks Max!!! great info.

Any photos of the outside? I would love to see since the 2nd story fot eh garage is what I am thinking.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I don't have the house plans on this computer but I can post them here on Sunday if you want.

thanks for info and please do post Dave. I am a visual learner so more images the better.

#39 7 years ago

slightly new twist on the questions.

Did you guys build your dream gameroom in advance of game acquisition? Or did you do like I have started and acquire games that may sit in storage till the day comes when you build your final destination house/gameroom?

I have to be honest that I have some level of guilt in buying games that will be sitting wrapped on backs. This has me torn between building sooner with the multilevel garage -vs- waiting a couple of years to buy the right property just slightly out of town and building exactly what we want (which would be like Dave has done, an open expanse that is connected to the house but still a standalone space.) Like I said, my ideal/dream space is probably 5 years away with squirreling away funds. The garage space is 12 months away...

Ideal space would be 4 acres just out of town slightly, a net zero 1000sqft house with a walkout that is primarily buried in a hill and is around 2000 to 4000 sqft. An underground arcade which can comfortably host 100 people for big tournaments and hanging out a few times each year. Yet, if you did not know about it... you would never expect it to exist.

#55 7 years ago

Thanks for all the stories and info guys! Seriously appreciate it. I am a thinker and a planner and very happy to have more to chew on while we think this all out!

Keep it coming with more stuff. Really fun to see all these big collections like this and here the background of how they came to be.

I officially picked up game #40 today, a shadow!

#74 7 years ago

I was lucky enough to strike gold with one quality woman, which means I am also fortunate enough to work towards a quantity of quality games

#91 7 years ago

Thanks RD. Really appreciate it!

#92 7 years ago

What are the dimensions of your room dave? I know you said 2000 sqft, but what X what?

Also, does your entire 126 game collection fit in that single room? Space for any more?

#94 7 years ago

thanks buddy!

cool video of Gary also! I need to plan a trip to NZ in the next couple years and bring the wife (I have been before but she has not). Will try to coordinate with the sys11 Olympics

#100 7 years ago

goof tips blacknight!

#103 7 years ago

checking out new options and looks like current possible space will be around 30ft x 60ft of space for the entire area.

Still likely a ways out but some new options have come to light.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. It has helped me to think through some stuff.

#119 7 years ago

thanks for the info clay.

What is the dimension of the left side annex building (the one side with the bowler in it)?
    Are those 5 ft or 6ft aisles?

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

It's 30 foot wide don't remember the length maybe 40 foot. Approximately six foot aisles.

thanks. Those aisles are just enough to have 2 players and squeeze down the center so perfect!

1 week later
    #127 7 years ago

you joke Mike, but if this was on the eastside I would have an offer in TODAY!

Heidi and I have talked for years about the possibility of revamping a church. We would in fact put in as a religious institution to get rid of property taxes.

The Church of the Silverball would be a real thing!

#130 7 years ago

unfortunately it is too far west of town for us.

East or North and we would be seriously interested!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-from-large-collectors-please?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.