Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spacing.JPG
    oldgirls.JPG
    doors.JPG
    funlights.JPG
    IMG_0427_s.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    basement1.jpg
    batcave.jpg
    30_January_2013_(6)_(resized).JPG
    house_Jan_2014_(1)_(resized).JPG
    building_(4)_(resized).JPG
    Hilltop_revised_site_plans-5_(resized).jpg
    Hilltop_revised_site_plans-1_(resized).jpg
    twister_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0002_(resized).JPG
    Dayhuffs_007_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

In Arizona and elsewhere, Developers make their money by dividing up the given amount of land in to as many lots as possible, thereby increasing number of sales and profit margin. Lots get small in footprint as a result. For a home to offer more living space, the builders are forced to build vertical, thereby building bigger, and at more cost/profit.

It's the same everywhere. All new builds get tiny lots, new houses are on top of each other, and sound echoes off the valley of houses down the street and backyards only get the perception of privacy if you put in trees and shrubs to block views of neighbors, who are still sitting on their patio 6 feet from your fence. I don't understand why people still flock to those neighborhoods, but they do and builders make huge profits.

I built my collection where there were no basements so your choice was to spread games around the house or keep them in a super hot/humid garage which is bad for you and the games. When I moved, having somewhere to put at least 10 games was a deal breaker, and fortunately my new location had basements.

I was surprised to find so many newish homes with basements having smaller footprint than the main level, and these 450sf-700sf basements are nearly worthless for anything but small collection by the time you account for stairs, a bathroom, storage room, sometimes an office. Now I believe that for collectors would most benefit from a ranch style home house... a 2000sf ranch comes with, you guessed it, a 2000sf basement, and that will hold a large collection! Make that a walkout basement with garage at basement level and you avoid stairs and elevators. Otherwise if you settle for stairs, make sure it is straight down (no turns) and wide.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Just in pin-space alone you're talking 800 square feet (add walking area and you're easily at 1200 sq feet).

70-100 pins in 800-1200sf? Only if it was one big room with no walls or support posts, and the pins on legs and smashed together with literally no space between, so they couldn't be played. For storage it would be fine, put them on end, would have plenty of room.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-from-large-collectors-please?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.