(Topic ID: 33184)

Advice please from those that don't like Xmen...

By TwilightZone

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Zdoor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm seriously looking at getting an LE. I really like the game. I like it more than Tron and Iron Man. But I seem to be in the minority and prices are dropping on the LE. I'm a little concerned about a Transformers LE level drop after I buy.

I've played it and liked it as it sits now. I'm trying to understand what people don't like about the game.

I've read it's missing jackbot call outs, Wolverine breathing can get annoying, and it's insanely hard. These things don't bother me. Others mention the code isn't complete. What specifically isn't complete? There seems to be a ton of modes and all appear different, so there seems to be robustness in the rules.

I'm looking for advice on what folks don't like about the game. Like I said I seem to like it. I haven't played it a ton. I love the theme and seriously considering getting an LE.

Many thanks in advance,
Duane

#2 11 years ago

There are no combo awards in the game, but there are combo score settings in the menu. There are also no bonus multipliers, outside of the random award from the scoop. Deadpool mode is in the menu, but missing from the game, too.

My biggest complaint with the game, though, is that it feels like it has one too many shots wedged in there. They took TRON, flipped it, and added a couple of shots. It needs to be a widebody to accommodate the shot layout, IMO. Too cramped.

#3 11 years ago

Also, for the rules, gathering the heroes does nothing. There is no story or no benefit from gathering the heroes. There should be a help such as you are fighting a villain it should be easies after you have a team or something along that line.

Also, you are in a mode and all it cuts to extra ball animation or Gambit DMD animation. It really is distracting and not good. If you are in a mode that should take priority. Yes you can get an extra ball or Gambit awards but it should not kick you out of the moment of the mode, I mean the mode should take priority for all animation.

Nightcrawler could be used some more etc..

#4 11 years ago

If you like it now, buy it. Odds are that the prices will start to go up if the update is decent. Don't think they will go up fast but the 5500-5900 prices will go away.

I know I've tried to sell my Wolverine at 6000 but others are available cheaper. I am going to hold on to it to see what happens with the update and then sell, hopefully for a bit more so I don't lose as much.

My reasons to sell are current software but more than that, I don't care for the way it plays. It doesn't feel good to me but that is subjective. Others love it so I hope for better software to help me sell t.

Dave

#5 11 years ago

Most complaints are software related.
The next complaint is the difficulty in shots.
It's a players pin; once you get the shots and timing down, the game is EXPLOSIVE with flow and fun.
The big question is what will the code offer? Will it be lackluster like TF's powerpack? Or great like ACDC? Or somewhere in the middle?

#6 11 years ago

We bought our LE NIB back in the summer and the main thing I wasn't too keen on out of the gate was having to do a fair bit of fiddling / adjusting stuff. No big deal though, it's pinball. So after sorting out a few things it didn't take long to realize the software was pretty bunk. Most definitely the machine was playable, but it wasn't all that great. The first software update helped the cause and made it a bit more fun, but as others have mentioned it's still missing some stuff. I played it for a bit after that first update but then I pretty much lost interest (plus it didn't help matters that our new Tron Pro showed up). So Xmen sat for about 2 months and didn't get any love.

I'm now done all the mods on Tron and we've been playing it a ton, but the funny thing is that lately I've gone back to Xmen and played it quite a bit. Now enjoying it more than ever (just put a shaker in it last week) and looking forward to an update soon. I'm always thinking positive and I have to believe Stern has an idea as to what we don't like about this game, and hopefully they'll put out an update that puts something positive back into Xmen. Sure the current software has some issues, but as Eskaybee mentions the game is most definitely explosive with flow and fun. We had a bunch of people over last night and a number of them played both Xmen and Tron (they were literally all pinball newbies, most have never played a machine before). It was interesting talking to them, they all liked Tron because it was more open and seemed easier to hit shots. So even someone brand new to pinball can figure out pretty quickly that the shots on Xmen are pretty tough. But once you get the hang of it the machine can be very rewarding.

As far as prices go, the LEs sure haven't been getting much love lately and the prices reflect that. It won't surprise me if a year from now people look back to this time now and either say "man I can't believe I sold it for that price" (sellers) or "man I can't believe I bought it for that price" (buyers). Bottom line though is if you like the game then pick one up and enjoy it!

#7 11 years ago

I agree with Gambit, the shots are too tight for my playing style. I pretty much suck at pinball, I guess, because I can't hit s--t on this game. My Wolverine has been sitting with a sheet over it for months. I prefer to play my Twister, if that tells you anything. I'll probably keep it on the sheer beauty and theme alone, but if I had known (when I bought it) what I know now, I would have saved my money. Theme and art are important, but they need a little game play as well. Some love it, but given my experience and the plummeting prices, this one needs a big turn around to save it. We'll know for sure in a week or so when the new code comes out. If it doesn't cause a big 180 in game play, you'll be able to pick up one of these real cheap. If it does change the game play in a positive way, then you'll regret not jumping on one of the good deals out there right now. So, roll the dice as you see fit and good luck.

#8 11 years ago

Tight shots for me also, I need to do the post mod. I tried taking the rubber off Iceman post and made the game more forgiving, but need something there to prevent metal on metal contact.

#9 11 years ago

I personally really like the game. Owned it for 4 months and still has a one more game feel. Its a hard game shot wise, but great fun.

Lots of small and large code issues that need to be addressed. Some of the callouts are still wrong (fail a hero mode and it says something positive like you finished it). Voice acting for beast is lame. Some people hate Storm's voice too. Drains down the outlanes doesn't always make the sound effect. Needs stacking of modes for sure. More interaction between villains and heros (i.e. finish a hero and have that help you beat a villain). Better sound effects for beating a villain. Save progression for villains. Wizard modes maybe a bit to hard to get to (Dark Phoenix for sure). HF and BH targets don't register in any mode and are too hard to collect. No combos. No Deadpool. No multipliers.

I think / hope the code update deals with most of these concerns. Rarehero has done a great job compiling these issues and recommending solid changes.

Despite all this, I still like the game a lot. I have high hopes for next week, and I personally think the prices will climb.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also, for the rules, gathering the heroes does nothing. There is no story or no benefit from gathering the heroes. There should be a help such as you are fighting a villain it should be easies after you have a team or something along that line.

I don't know the exact formula, but I have noticed that the value of the jackpots during Magneto mb are related to how many heroes you have played/completed.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also, for the rules, gathering the heroes does nothing. There is no story or no benefit from gathering the heroes.

That's not true. In the current code, the more heroes you have lit, the more points those shots are worth when you battle Magneto. Also, completing all the Heroes opens up Danger Room.

#12 11 years ago

If you like it why do you even have to ask? If you like it you buy it, if you don't then buy something else. Every issue anyone has had with this games has been posted numerous times and in numerous places. It has been discussed on all these forums more than any other game I have ever seen.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

I'm seriously looking at getting an LE. I really like the game. I like it more than Tron and Iron Man. But I seem to be in the minority and prices are dropping on the LE. I'm a little concerned about a Transformers LE level drop after I buy.
I've played it and liked it as it sits now. I'm trying to understand what people don't like about the game.
I've read it's missing Jackbot call outs, Wolverine breathing can get annoying, and it's insanely hard. These things don't bother me. Others mention the code isn't complete. What specifically isn't complete? There seems to be a ton of modes and all appear different, so there seems to be robustness in the rules.
I'm looking for advice on what folks don't like about the game. Like I said I seem to like it. I haven't played it a ton. I love the theme and seriously considering getting an LE.
Many thanks in advance,Duane

I don't like that there is no game goal relationship between the Villains and Heroes. I think you end up picking a path: either Danger Room or Dark Phoenix, with Danger Room the easier candidate. If I am getting close to Danger Room and stumble into a lit Villain, I am inclined to trap the ball and time out the mode as to not risk losing the ball by playing something that has no benefit toward Danger Room.

I feel as it sits, that is the fundamental game flaw, because the set up discourages playing Villain modes. With the Villain modes at around 60 seconds, that is a lot of waiting around.

Anyone legitimately seen Dark Phoenix yet?

#14 11 years ago

Two more code updates at least are planned. One on 12/21/12 and the other is.... well later.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Two more code updates at least are planned. One on 12/21/12 and the other is.... well later.

Did Stern just pick that date because it's the end of the world and they really don't want to bother releasing new code? LOL

#16 11 years ago

As others have mentioned, it's a challenging game and no matter what happens with the code, it will always offer players a very tight array of shots. I have to believe that time spent on X-Men really improves player skills. So, I'm going to keep it around for three reasons: 1) it really can be a great deal of fun, 2) it attracts people who don't know anything about pinball, and 3) it's my "trainer;" if I can figure this one out then I think that I'll be better all-around. There may only be a handful of machines out there that for me so well meet all three of these criteria.

And I figure that it's only a matter of time before my problems with the AUX board will be resolved, but that's another issue....

#17 11 years ago

It is really hard. But tons of great shots.

It is mainly software for me. Not enough rewards for completing modes - compare the difference to the 1990 classics.

Great code could make this game great. We shall se.

#18 11 years ago

Everyone talks about forecasted values or "I will hold my machine until its worth more".

Mr TwilightZone if you like the game buy it, play it, keep it & enjoy it.

To those who dislike their game, sell it now & get something you like. Who cares about a $300 or $500 gain if you had to keep a game you didn't play while not playing a title you wanted?

That's the point, own just the games you love playing.

Example: I don't see appreciating values lasting forever but that doesn't stop me from overpaying today. No way my LOTR will be worth it's current value with the future pins having color changing LEDs, cooler themes, better code & LCD screens.

So what do I dislike about X-Men LE? The left outlane is covered by a decal so I can't see the drain risk very well. I get so pissed at the iceman ramp dumping the ball SDTFM & on the LE the Wolverine is a total cockblocker in the way of my shot. It's a fun game & I enjoy playing a Magneto often but i wont utilize my money/space on one.

To me, seriously, I'd get the pro.

#19 11 years ago

Wanted to say thanks to those that replied. Appreciate everyones advice.

Unfortunately, the game sold while I was trying to sell a couple of games. I had to sell a game to help fund it. So now I've sold my game and will be getting my mint Jackbot back plus some cash. A win win, but no Xmen for now.

Thinking an Xmen Pro will be in my future, though. I love the theme and the layout. The rules as they stand are really fun. I'm going to wait and try Avengers first though.

Thanks everyone.

Duane

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

There are no combo awards in the game, but there are combo score settings in the menu. There are also no bonus multipliers, outside of the random award from the scoop. Deadpool mode is in the menu, but missing from the game, too.
My biggest complaint with the game, though, is that it feels like it has one too many shots wedged in there. They took TRON, flipped it, and added a couple of shots. It needs to be a widebody to accommodate the shot layout, IMO. Too cramped.

I agree with this, and I would also add that the code/scoring is terrible in its current state. There is little risk/high reward shots/goals. 95% of the games felt the same to me, and it seemed that my score was always within a few million points of the last one. No adrenaline rush, with the possible exception of when you hit a bunch of combos in a row, which wasn't too common with me because the shots are so tight. Some people will interpret that as me sucking, which is fine. It is what it is.

Here is what I wrote in an earlier review:

Well I've had my Magneto for 7 weeks now. My initial impressions were pretty positive and they became more positive after the updated code. But I'm at at the point now where it is rather obvious to me that I'm just not going to enjoy this pin, and it is definitely not for me.

One thing that is interesting is that it is hard for me to put a finger on exactly what it is that I don't like about the pin. But it is very clear to me that I most definitely do not enjoy it. I've felt this way for awhile now, but I keep wanting to be positive, not make any quick decisions, and to be cautious of buyer remorse. I'm past that now. It just isn't enjoyable or fun.....and my original review talked about how *fun* this pin was!

Honestly, looking through my current collection and history, I think there might be one pin that I've owned that I cared for less than I do X-Men.

The funny thing is, looking at the pin as objectively as possible:

1) it is one of the BEST looking pins that I've ever owned!

2) The theme is EXCELLENT and well implemented

3) The artwork, based on the comics, is VERY good!

4) The lighting is fantastic and really makes the PF look great

5) The toys/features are pretty cool

6) Sounds are excellent (with a few exceptions with some of the call outs/voices) and of high quality

7) Modes galore, and almost every one of them is cool in terms of the personality of each character

Despite all the above.....I just don't care for how this pin plays at all. It never draws me in, I never feel like I want to push the start button again when the game is over. Most games feel very much the same to me, no big differences....and this is despite being able to scroll through the villain modes to decide which one you are going to play. So often when my ball or game is over, I'm just left shaking my head, and saying to myself "I really don't like this game". I rarely come away with any feeling of accomplishment. I think the way the pin scores has something to do with that. There are no high risk/reward goals in this game. It also seems to be lacking in terms of having to come up with much strategy to score the most points, other than trying to stack a mode with a MB.

I was going to hold out for the new code, but I don't think I'm going to do that at this point. Just not going to make enough difference in how the pin shoots, which is one thing that I can point to that I don't like.

Sucks that my first NIB purchase was a miss for me. So much going for it too. Oh well.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Some people will interpret that as me sucking, which is fine. It is what it is.

This is all you needed to post.

#22 11 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes the anticipation for a game by far exceeds what the final product can provide. Especially when its your first NIB. We all look forward to that first NIB game so badly.
Unfortunately that anticipation never goes away no matter how many NIB games you get. There must be some other cure for this disease other than going broke and having to sell every game you have.
I was bummed out with the game with its original code and refused to even play my magneto again until the new code came out. Now its the only game getting played other than Tron LE. Hopefully the next update will include many of the changes that Rarehero has suggested. If the changes come anywhere near close to his suggestions it will be the kick ass game that we all looked forward to. Don't give up on it. It is a challenging game and will get a reputation for that with the top players (not me for sure). The shots can all be done, it just takes some time to learn them. You gotta play it as if its the only game you have...then you start picking up the tricks of making the shots and getting higher points for combos etc.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is all you needed to post.

Lol

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

The shots can all be done, it just takes some time to learn them

Yeah, ya know...cuz it's ramps, orbits, loops and locks...things you've NEVER SEEN IN ANY GAME BEFORE!!! OMG, X-Men's so hard with such a learning curve to make shots!!!!

#25 11 years ago

I guess i didnt find any shot in xmen hard except consistent iceman shots.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I guess i didnt find any shot in xmen hard except consistent iceman shots.

I have the hardest time with that shot too...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-those-that-dont-like-xmen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.