• 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ReadyPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1336ic (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yardley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all, I'm looking into buying my first pin. I have available locally a Gottlieb Barb Wire and a Rescue 911 for about the same price of $2000. Would any of these two make a good first purchase? Any preference between these two? BTW, I really wanted a Black Hole, it was listed locally for $1800 but it just sold . I was a bit worried about going for it since apparently they're very high maintenance but it's not an option any longer unfortunately.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I'd wait for something else completely. See if you can find a older Williams or Bally. F-14, Taxi, Diner, etc....I think you'd like it better and not be stuck with it and sell it for what you got into it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. drizzt76 since you mentioned older, there is also a Genie for $1200 and a Lost World for $900. What is everyones thoughts on a Black Hole? That pin really appeals to me.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Save up another 1-$1500, you’ll be looking at much better games

Any suggestions in that price range?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I really liked Black Hole... I think the two playfields made it a lot of fun...

Yeah I love that! And it's just a great looking cab IMO. There's a really nice video on YT of someone playing it and explaining all of the rules and that really appealed to me as a newbie. I'm starting to understand how to play properly but sometimes when I look at other videos I'm lost.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Time:

There's a decent shopped Street Fighter 2 for sale right now in NJ for your budget. SF2 was my first pin way way back in the day. I just bought another one recently.
FYI - if you're doing your own maintenance (and you should) expect to spend a couple hundred in tools and parts just putting your kit together. Starting with a cheap pin is the best way to learn. But so is starting with a recently shopped game. At least you'll get to play it for awhile before having to work on it.

I missed out on a SF2 for $800 recently

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Black Hole is awesome. One of the best backglasses ever and a lot of fun to play. Hold out and get what you want. It’s rarely worth settling for something else.

The backglass is amazing!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I agree, get the Blackhole, especially if that is a grail pin for you. You may have to make a drive for it, that will make it that much more sweet when you bring it home. Be sure to post it on the what machine did you bring home today thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/338#post-5752921

I missed out for $1800 about an hour from me . There's another for $3500, big difference.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Stern Meteor is a lot of fun for the money. I paid 2k for my Eight Ball Deluxe LE as well. If you don’t dig early solid states maybe a High Speed or F14?
Also, holy shit, another Jersey City person on here? YES!!!!

Howdy neighbor!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I used to play a lot of black hole when I was in college in the 1980s. At the time I thought it was the best game I had ever played but I have not played it since and wonder if it has withstood the test of time. I typically always go for dotmatrix display games. I wouldn’t want you to get some thing that you would get bored of fast.

There's one at Barcade in Newark but I don't know what the current situation is due to COVID.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yardley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-first-pin-1?tu=yardley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.