New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273279)

Advice For First Pin

By Yardley

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by ReadyPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1336ic (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Hi all, I'm looking into buying my first pin. I have available locally a Gottlieb Barb Wire and a Rescue 911 for about the same price of $2000. Would any of these two make a good first purchase? Any preference between these two? BTW, I really wanted a Black Hole, it was listed locally for $1800 but it just sold . I was a bit worried about going for it since apparently they're very high maintenance but it's not an option any longer unfortunately.

#2 3 months ago

I would wait to see what else pops up. Definitely not Rescue 911.... it's not a very good pin, IMO.

#3 3 months ago

Find something you can resell easily if you don’t like it even if it costs a little more up front.

#4 3 months ago

I'd wait for something else completely. See if you can find a older Williams or Bally. F-14, Taxi, Diner, etc....I think you'd like it better and not be stuck with it and sell it for what you got into it.

#5 3 months ago

Take your time. An F-14 Tomcat is a great pin at that price point and fairly readily available.

#6 3 months ago

My advice: Do NOT buy any game until you’ve played it and enjoy it- if you’re looking to get your first game, make sure it’s in good working condition. This is a great hobby to buy, sell and trade. No matter what pin you choose, you can always sell or trade later when you want a new experience.

#7 3 months ago

Make sure your first pin is one that YOU want to keep coming back to for one more game, not just one that someone/everyone else likes.

My first pin was a Pinbot... I still am never tired of playing it.

#8 3 months ago

Barb wire is decent but not great and I’ve never played rescue 911. If your budget is $2000 be patient. If your budget is a little larger a lot of great pins come up in the $2000-$4000 range in our area.

#9 3 months ago
Quoted from drizzt76:

I'd wait for something else completely. See if you can find a older Williams or Bally. F-14, Taxi, Diner, etc....I think you'd like it better and not be stuck with it and sell it for what you got into it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. drizzt76 since you mentioned older, there is also a Genie for $1200 and a Lost World for $900. What is everyones thoughts on a Black Hole? That pin really appeals to me.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from Yardley:

Thanks for the advice everyone. drizzt76 since you mentioned older, there is also a Genie for $1200 and a Lost World for $900. What is everyones thoughts on a Black Hole? That pin really appeals to me.

I think it's ok but pinball is subjective. A pin that one person loves another may despise. Case in point, I owned an F-14 Tomcat and couldn't wait to sell it. As you saw earlier, it's a popular game that people seem to really like.

I also love WOF but I'm in the minority on that one.

If you haven't done so already, go on YouTube and watch gameplay videos. As others have said, never buy a game without playing it first.

#11 3 months ago

Save up another 1-$1500, you’ll be looking at much better games

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Save up another 1-$1500, you’ll be looking at much better games

Any suggestions in that price range?

#13 3 months ago

There’s a lot of good ones in that price range. Most from bally and Williams in the 1990s are good, as are data East. Some newer sterns since 2000 are in that price range as well. See what comes up for sale.

#14 3 months ago

If your budget is around 2K you can get some great games at that price from the system 11 and classic bally era. If you know you like Rescue 911 or Barb Wire, that's about average for a Barb Wire, I tend to see Rescue 911 cheaper around here anyway. Both titles will be a hard resell down the road, but if you enjoy them that's what really matters. I would look for something more like a Taxi, Pinbot, etc in that price range. I am not a fan of Black Hole either but if that is the game you want then I would wait for one!

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from Yardley:

Any suggestions in that price range?

Opens you up to all the 90’s Bally Williams B titles

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from Yardley:

I really liked Black Hole... I think the two playfields made it a lot of fun...

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I really liked Black Hole... I think the two playfields made it a lot of fun...

Yeah I love that! And it's just a great looking cab IMO. There's a really nice video on YT of someone playing it and explaining all of the rules and that really appealed to me as a newbie. I'm starting to understand how to play properly but sometimes when I look at other videos I'm lost.

#18 3 months ago

There's a decent shopped Street Fighter 2 for sale right now in NJ for your budget. SF2 was my first pin way way back in the day. I just bought another one recently.

FYI - if you're doing your own maintenance (and you should) expect to spend a couple hundred in tools and parts just putting your kit together. Starting with a cheap pin is the best way to learn. But so is starting with a recently shopped game. At least you'll get to play it for awhile before having to work on it.

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from Time:

There's a decent shopped Street Fighter 2 for sale right now in NJ for your budget. SF2 was my first pin way way back in the day. I just bought another one recently.
FYI - if you're doing your own maintenance (and you should) expect to spend a couple hundred in tools and parts just putting your kit together. Starting with a cheap pin is the best way to learn. But so is starting with a recently shopped game. At least you'll get to play it for awhile before having to work on it.

I missed out on a SF2 for $800 recently

#20 3 months ago

If you've recently, or ever, missed out on a SF2, Barb Wire, Rescue 911 consider yourself lucky.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you've recently, or ever, missed out on a SF2, Barb Wire, Rescue 911 consider yourself lucky.

1336ic (resized).jpg
#22 3 months ago

Black Hole is a great pin but system80's need to be bullet proofed, if all the mods have been done it will be as steady and reliable as any other pin. Black Hole can be a bit much for someone who has never worked on pins before so the mods are a must for you if you want it. There are plenty of pinsiders in NJ that I'd bet would be willing to help you and check out the pin with you if you ask them too.

Welcome to the madness, you'll be looking for another before you know it!

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from Yardley:

I missed out on a SF2 for $800 recently

Everyone likes to talk shit on SF2 but its actually a lot of game for the money. Consistently one of the most affordable DMD games. Its a simple rule set but its fast and easy for casual players to pickup.

I can say from experience that SF2 gets more plays than my TBL when friends and family are over.

#24 3 months ago

I’ve had several f14s. Bump for that one. Awesome theme and fun multiball with the working spinners. Kickback is fast

#25 3 months ago

You want a Black Hole. So get a Black Hole. Be patient and you will find one. Any pin will be maintenance so don’t worry about that. You’ll spend plenty of time fixing it no matter what you get.

#26 3 months ago

Black Hole is awesome. One of the best backglasses ever and a lot of fun to play. Hold out and get what you want. It’s rarely worth settling for something else.

#27 3 months ago

I agree, get the Blackhole, especially if that is a grail pin for you. You may have to make a drive for it, that will make it that much more sweet when you bring it home. Be sure to post it on the what machine did you bring home today thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/338#post-5752921

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Black Hole is awesome. One of the best backglasses ever and a lot of fun to play. Hold out and get what you want. It’s rarely worth settling for something else.

The backglass is amazing!

#29 3 months ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I agree, get the Blackhole, especially if that is a grail pin for you. You may have to make a drive for it, that will make it that much more sweet when you bring it home. Be sure to post it on the what machine did you bring home today thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/338#post-5752921

I missed out for $1800 about an hour from me . There's another for $3500, big difference.

#30 3 months ago

Stern Meteor is a lot of fun for the money. I paid 2k for my Eight Ball Deluxe LE as well. If you don’t dig early solid states maybe a High Speed or F14?

Also, holy shit, another Jersey City person on here? YES!!!!

#31 3 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Stern Meteor is a lot of fun for the money. I paid 2k for my Eight Ball Deluxe LE as well. If you don’t dig early solid states maybe a High Speed or F14?
Also, holy shit, another Jersey City person on here? YES!!!!

Howdy neighbor!

#32 3 months ago
Quoted from Yardley:

I missed out for $1800 about an hour from me . There's another for $3500, big difference.

I have a Black Hole I’ll part with...you just have to drive a little Black Hole is a fun and challenging pin and I love the multiball rules. Juggling the balls on the upper playfield and lower playfield at the same time during multiball is just fun.

#33 3 months ago

I used to play a lot of black hole when I was in college in the 1980s. At the time I thought it was the best game I had ever played but I have not played it since and wonder if it has withstood the test of time. I typically always go for dotmatrix display games. I wouldn’t want you to get some thing that you would get bored of fast.

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from Don44:

I used to play a lot of black hole when I was in college in the 1980s. At the time I thought it was the best game I had ever played but I have not played it since and wonder if it has withstood the test of time. I typically always go for dotmatrix display games. I wouldn’t want you to get some thing that you would get bored of fast.

There's one at Barcade in Newark but I don't know what the current situation is due to COVID.

#35 3 months ago

Save up another $1000 and your looking at a lot of Williams B games like Johnny Mnemonic, Judge Dredd, & High Speed 2 The Getaway. Great games.

#36 3 months ago

Space Shuttle, Pinbot, Meteor, Stars, EBDLE, Countdown, Joker Poker, High Speed. Can’t go wrong with any of these. Black Hole is fun but like someone else said can be a bit daunting (maintenance wise) for someone new to the hobby, plus it weighs a ton! Pinside is a great, helpful place and friends won’t let friends buy a Rescue 911.

#37 3 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Space Shuttle, Pinbot, Meteor, Stars, EBDLE, Countdown, Joker Poker, High Speed.

Was going to recommend pinbot or space shuttle - have both and they are both party favorites. I think the Black Knight's laugh when you drain on the outlanes is the only thing that beats the astronaut's scream on the space shuttle outlane drain.
Or continue hold out for a Blackhole near you in your target price range, you'll find one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
$ 42.00
$ 249.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 24.00
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside