20160707_185639_(resized).jpg
20160707_185453_(resized).jpg
20160707_185442_(resized).jpg
20160707_185426_(resized).jpg
20160707_185421_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I recently bought my first pinball and I love it. It came fully shopped by a professional and is in great shape. The only thing that they did not do is test the coin acceptor. It has a single MEI Cashflow 330 Reference Series that I suspect either takes Canadian currency (don't have any around to test my theory) or tokens of some sort. Can anyone suggest what I should do to replace this? I don't want to buy a new coin door and want to keep the cost down. I am leary of purchasing off eBay or such as most sellers don't know they are trying to sell a Canadian acceptor.

#2 7 years ago

Pinball life has them for $9.95. US .25 coin mech. Easy to change out inside the coin door. No need to buy a new coin door.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=15

#3 7 years ago

Jtm3,

Thanks for the advice here. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I have two questions concerning this product.

1. This will fit where the MEI cashflow mechanism currently sits correct?
2. This interfaces with the pinball machine using the ribbon cable correct?

Thanks!

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from SmoothH2O:

Yes. ( earlier I made the mistake of thinking it was one of the huge ones )

Quoted from SmoothH2O:

No.

You should put a picture up of what you have so it is better understood.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

The coin mech should swap out easily. I added a pic of what a coin mech looks like.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

I hope I'm understanding your question right. Coin mech.'s themselves are strictly mechanical. When they are installed, the coin goes through the coin door, through the coin mech. and then registers by tripping a micro switch that is attached to the coin door, underneath the coin mech. I will try to find a pic for you. Shouldn't be a ribbon cable there.

#7 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from SmoothH2O:

Jtm3,
Thanks for the advice here. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I have two questions concerning this product.
Thanks!

1. Yes - mounting is standard for coin mechs. May need to adjust the tits on the mech (in Alex's pics, the 'tits' or nubs) are seen protruding from the sides) but they'll fit.
2. No - the ribbon cable is an NRI interface, used for electronic multi-coin mechanisms. (And some single-coin mechanisms.) Your coin door MAY have a mechanical switch under where the Cashflow sits. This would need to be connected to wires - usually already ON the door - to trigger the coin input. If you're missing a switch, then you'll need to pick one up. (Available in many places..)

Quoted from Jtm3:

Coin mech.'s themselves are strictly mechanical.

No, they're not. There are electronic coin 'mechs' (Cashflow 330, NRI G.13, some coin comparitors), some are simple drop-in-play, others need alternate wiring, like the NRI interface. EU uses electornic mechs a lot - US uses old-fashined mechanical mechs a lot.

#9 7 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks much for your replies. I am attaching pictures to show what the current setup looks like.

20160707_185421_(resized).jpg20160707_185421_(resized).jpg

20160707_185426_(resized).jpg20160707_185426_(resized).jpg

20160707_185442_(resized).jpg20160707_185442_(resized).jpg

20160707_185453_(resized).jpg20160707_185453_(resized).jpg

20160707_185639_(resized).jpg20160707_185639_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

The coin mech should swap out easily. I added a pic of what a coin mech looks like.

Any of these will work. You'll need the coin switch and wiring to the coin door interface board.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago

The MEI 330 is a programmable coin comparitor more common in Euro or Taiwan/Chinese made arcade games and the late model Megatouches. You can program a dozen different coins or token sizes. They are hit or miss with dependability id rather use a regular imonex mech.

#13 7 years ago

Your door is missing the coin switch. However, you can easily get one (on phone, so I cannot find link for one at the moment), and it looks like the wiring is there - if you want to drop in a mechanical one.

The Cashflow 330's cannot be reprogrammed by the end user, you have to take it into an MEI distributor to get reprogrammed, and depending on the dist is costs anywhere between $75 to $150 to get done. (You can get a NEW NRI G.13 programmed to your specs from Suzo-Happ for about $120 - that's what I have in my TZ.)

So, you could go for a mechanical coin mech and accept one coin, get a coin switch and mount it in, likely cost you no more than $50 max, or go for a new electronic mech, accept multiple coins, plug-an-play.

#14 7 years ago

Yes, the Mars Cashflow unit can be shipped to a Mars (MEI Global) service center to be reprogrammed for the coinage you want to use.

http://www.meitechnical.com/technical_support/find_an_approved_service_/

1 week later
#15 7 years ago

Get an old school mechanical one like I showed in pic.

#16 7 years ago

if you actually intend to use it get an electronic mech, mechanical mechs have a lot of problems related to the angle of the door in pins in my experience operating them... plus you can get them from china for like $12 now

1 week later
#17 7 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I purchased a mechanical mech and it is working great. Thanks for all of your advice.

T

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 37.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-coin-acceptor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.