(Topic ID: 144343)

advice for ALI "Rock On" non-commercial?

By berzerker

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by psd4me
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm trying to help my aunt with an Allied Leisure non-commercial model of Rock On.

The machine powers on, displays working fine. When you hit the game start button, the machine tries to cycle through the reset sequence, but ends up with the reset relay just repeatedly clicking because the ball kickout solenoid doesn't fire, and the ball ends up just sitting in the drain trough. If I manually cycle the kickout to move the ball out of trough into shooting lane, the game is recognizing that and the reset relay stops.

However, none of the other solenoids on the game, with the sole exception of the chimes, fire during the game (including pop target resets, flippers, or slingshots), even after launching ball to trip the shooting lane switch. Some playfield switches will work and trigger scoring, but it's less than half of them. Chimes and displays are working to indicate when scoring is occurring.

Anyone familiar with any known issues on these that I should check first while troubleshooting this, to hopefully save me some time? I've already noticed the fuse holders aren't the sturdiest, and a couple of them are loose or broken, so I'll be replacing those, but they all buzz out with the DMM so I'm not sure I can blame this all on them (yet). The machine is about 4 hours away from me, and I'll only get to look at it during holiday trips the next couple months, so hoping to have as many ideas lined up for what to check as I can, to get as much done per trip as I can.

appreciate any advice/suggestions you all can offer!

#2 8 years ago

It's just a fuse. Is there a slo-blow that's toasted? (Honestly I have no idea)

Do you have the schematics?

#3 8 years ago

I have a dyno-mite that I'm working on right now with a similar issue (outhole coil won't fire, but all the other coils work).

Yes, replacing those fuse holders is essential--the original ones are junk. I replaced them with Bussmann BK/S-8001-1-R fuse holders. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#Fuse_Holders

Repinning also appears to be essential--most of the connectors on my game that carried significant current were corroded. It resolved a number of other issues I was having with the game. I was finishing that up this week, and was going to see if that solved the playfield reset cycle issue.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#12-pin_Plug.2FReceptacle_Connectors

If it helps, I've been updating the pinwiki page as I've been progressing: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It's just a fuse. Is there a slo-blow that's toasted? (Honestly I have no idea)
Do you have the schematics?

all the fuses were good. Even tested across the holders with fuses in them, and they buzzed out, but I didn't have much confidence in that, given at least one of them had a broken flap on the clip that holds fuse in, hence my intent to replace them anyway.

Do have some paperwork, haven't been through it all yet. Most of it seems to be generic Allied papers, rather than specific to the machine, but from the bit I've seen searching around, most of the machines are pretty similar.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have a dyno-mite that I'm working on right now with a similar issue (outhole coil won't fire, but all the other coils work).

I'd seen a couple of your other posts, and were about the only info I'd found on ALI at all so far Will have to add your pinwiki page to my reading list as homework.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from berzerker:

all the fuses were good. Even tested across the holders with fuses in them, and they buzzed out, but I didn't have much confidence in that, given at least one of them had a broken flap on the clip that holds fuse in, hence my intent to replace them anyway.
Do have some paperwork, haven't been through it all yet. Most of it seems to be generic Allied papers, rather than specific to the machine, but from the bit I've seen searching around, most of the machines are pretty similar.

I'd seen a couple of your other posts, and were about the only info I'd found on ALI at all so far Will have to add your pinwiki page to my reading list as homework.

Yeah, there is pretty much no info on these games whatsoever. Even John Robertson (flippers.com) doesn't have any info (other than the manuals/schematics. PBResource might also have manuals/schematics). John only has info on the second generation with the MPU, and the cocktail pins.

For my game, there is a game manual, a separate manual for the theory of operation, schematics for each PCB, and schematics for the cabinet/backbox/playfield wiring. The theory of operation manual has been very helpful.

My next update was going to be all the J# connector designations. Half aren't labeled, so matching up wiring in the schematics to wiring in the game has been challenging without that.

#6 8 years ago

I finished re-pinning and fired up the game, but the outhole coil still doesn't fire.

I managed to introduce a new problem with the ball roll tilt switch, so the game is pretty much in a constant state of tilt without my intervention, so I'll have to sort that out before troubleshooting further with the coil issue.

#7 8 years ago

I fixed the tilt--it was just a switch adjustment. It looks like corroded pins were hiding the problem.

In any case, I did another resistance reading on the outhole coil, and it was giving me a .03 ohms instead of 9 ohms--so, looks like it has a short. I thought it tested good a while back, but maybe not.

Oh well, guess I'll be putting a coil on my next parts order. This is probably something to check on your Rock On as well.

#8 8 years ago

Hey Force I have a coil if you want it it's yours. Mike

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-ali-rock-on-non-commercial and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.