Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinSinner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I love to play pinball, but I have never owned a machine and have no experience in pinball machine maintenance or restoration. I am wondering what would be a good starter machine (or machine type) to buy in which I can learn how a machine really works, how to repair and restore it, and how to maintain it?

I understand that hands on experience is the only way to learn and unfortunately, I don't have the privilege of having a family member or friend to learn from first hand.

I have some wood working skills which I assume would be handy with cabinet repairs. I have some years of model building experience, which has given me painting skills and also some experience with soldering and basic knowledge of LED circuits for lighting my models. Other than that, I know nothing about pinball electronics or how one really works.

I follow these restorations on Pinside and can't help but feel jealous of the skills and knowledge on display. I want to give it a go, but just need to know where to start. This is not like lego with step by step instructions and pictures to show how things go together. I have this fear that I would pull it apart and put it back together with parts leftover that obviously should have gone somewhere. The process seems quite daunting. However, I can imagine it would be so satisfying.

Any suggestion or advice on how/where to get started would be appreciated?

Thanks for your advice.

#2 7 years ago

Start with a reasonably priced Bally/Williams/Data East game from the 80s to 90s range. There are tons of standardized parts available, they're built well, they cost less, and there are mountains of repair guides out there.

I wouldn't start with an EM. They're not terribly complicated from a mechanical perspective, but diving into schematics can be a little confusing.

A newer game may have less mileage on it, but cost will be much higher and it's best to learn with a bit more basic game.

Edit: My first game was a Jurassic Park that needed work. I learned so much on that thing. I gained a lot of confidence fixing simple stuff like switches, replacing coils, doing flipper rebuilds, and working on the T-Rex. From there I felt good about taking more complicated projects in and learning as I went.

#3 7 years ago

Don't buy your first one, they multiply

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Start with a reasonably priced Bally/Williams/Data East game from the 80s to 90s range. There are tons of standardized parts available, they're built well, they cost less, and there are mountains of repair guides out there.
    I wouldn't start with an EM. They're not terribly complicated from a mechanical perspective, but diving into schematics can be a little confusing.
    A newer game may have less mileage on it, but cost will be much higher and it's best to learn with a bit more basic game.

Thanks for your advice.

I was thinking then maybe a Taxi or a Space Shuttle might be a good starter pin.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Thanks for your advice.
    I was thinking then maybe a Taxi or a Space Shuttle might be a good starter pin.

Both are excellent starters.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

Don't buy your first one, they multiply

I've read that. I currently only have room for two machines, so I can see that might be a problem in the long run.

#7 7 years ago

Yes, I can remember when I had 3 and thought I was king. And then 6 . . .

Taxi is an awesome start. System-11 games are classic. While Space Shuttle is a fun game that might have a few technical issues you don't want as a noob.

#8 7 years ago

Go and visit Tony at The Pinball Warehouse next time you are in Brisbane. There you can play 20 or 30 machines on the showroom floor with no obligation to buy.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Yes, I can remember when I had 3 and thought I was king. And then 6 . . .
    Taxi is an awesome start. System-11 games are classic. While Space Shuttle is a fun game that might have a few technical issues you don't want as a noob.

Thanks. I'll stay away from Space Shuttle to start.

Quoted from Homepin:

Go and visit Tony at The Pinball Warehouse next time you are in Brisbane. There you can play 20 or 30 machines on the showroom floor with no obligation to buy.

Cheers. I have been meaning to make to trip to Brissie and visit The Pinball Warehouse. Definately part of my New Year's Resolution!

#10 7 years ago

Depending on where your skill level is at. Youtube is littered with short how to videos. Use a meter, learn to solder, check continuity, check things like bridge rectifiers and transistors and fuses.

You could start learning long before you have a machine.

And lots of people here on Pinside will help you if you get stuck.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

B.t.w I am keeping one of my two spaces aside for one your Thunderbirds.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Depending on where your skill level is at. Youtube is littered with short how to videos. Use a meter, learn to solder, check continuity, check things like bridge rectifiers and transistors and fuses.
    You could start learning long before you have a machine.
    And lots of people here on Pinside will help you if you get stuck.
    LTG : )

Great idea. Thanks LTG

#13 7 years ago

Definitely start with a solid state game as someone else has pointed out (unless you are in love with a certain EM machine that you can find in working condition).

No matter what you buy, you'll always have a ton a' folks here willing to give advice. I've got my own lil' new addition that's a project as well.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

Definitely start with a solid state game as someone else has pointed out (unless you are in love with a certain EM machine that you can find in working condition).
    No matter what you buy, you'll always have a ton a' folks here willing to give advice. I've got my own lil' new addition that's a project as well.

Thanks Playmatic. I'll definately get a solid state. The technical stuff just seems so daunting. I guess once I have my own machine, I'll then start to get my head around it's workings. Look forward to seeing your project pin

#15 7 years ago

Your story is very familiar. I was exactly in your place about a year and half ago. I bought a broken pin (Flash) and then methodically went at it. Jar155 is right on.

Here is my list, mainly for older machines.

1. Definitely get one. Restoration and repair is daunting, but quite rewarding.
    2. RE #1: Look for a pin with a good playfield. Touch up is an art. And mistakes are ugly. Most other mistakes in the restoration are easily rectified, or corrected without affecting the look of the pin. If you're artistic and good with a brush, ignore this. Follow Vid's recommendations to the letter if you start painting.
    3. Look for a pin where the unique playfield parts are all there and in good shape. Some of those specialized parts can be hard to find or expensive.
    3b. Cupped inserts are a drag (older pins). My Flash has this problem. Fixing them is possible, but not simple.
    4. Look closely at all the circuit boards: if you see corrosion from batteries etc., know that you'll be investing in replacement boards from rottendog and the like.
    4. Invest in a good pencil or station soldering iron, solder sucker, etc. once you get your pin. Try to get old electronic parts from an old TV repair place or similar, and practice desoldering and soldering on junk. Lots of good videos on technique.
    5. Invest in a good digital multimeter. Don't buy a $5 one on ebay. Pay the extra, it's worth it.
    6. Assure proper fuses in all locations first when you get it home. Wrong fuses are epidemic.

#16 7 years ago

You best option to understand basic electrical circuit theory and pinball operation is an electromechanical machine from the 1960s or 1970s. Any Bally, Williams, or Gottlieb machine is a good choice as long as the title had a solid production number if you need additional parts. People that say EMs are confusing, really have never done any significant repairs or restorations, or have decided not to learn basic terminology and wire diagrams, both of which are fundamental skills of pinball collecting. The electrical functionality is no more difficult than the mechanics.

If you wish to "step it up" use a late 1970s or early 1980s solid state Bally/Stern machine (as they use essentially the same PCB systems that slightly involved between the 70s and early 80s, particularly sound boards) such as Eight Ball Deluxe. Early solid state Williams and Gottlieb are a little trickier as a first machine, as some people have problems understanding the board design. Fortunately, technical information is now well documented in comparison to what was written 30 years ago. This will get you involved in understanding the correlation between MPU operation, solenoids, switches, feature lights, and sound, how they work together, and especially repair areas such as soldering, crimping and fusing.

Stay away from games that are foreign produced such as Bell, Inder, LTD, Taito, Zaccaria and others, as you will only find a few people that understand the original board sets, and game specific parts can be a problem.

Stay away from late model BLY/WMS complex machines such as TZ, RS, and STTNG as projects, as they are above apprentice level of repairs regardless of what people will say "they are not that hard". More people have been dissuaded by buying machines that are above their repair skill levels, only to quit and never return to the hobby than for any other reason. I guarantee somebody is going to counter argue here on this point, so whomever this might be, feel free to troll away.

Cabinet repair is sometimes the most labor intensive, but requires lower levels of skill, unless dry rot is severe.
    Watch the bottom of cabinets and glue for delamination and weakness.

The rest of the "how" is to start reading Pinwiki, we wrote the documents for a reason.
    Find a local collector to become their "protege" and you will learn even faster.

Buying a NIB machine will tell you zero regarding learning pinball operation and repair, unless you simply want to play.
    The only thing it will tell a new buyer is how to set the game up, if a person even follows directions.
    The basic point I provide is game maintenance is not repair, or vice versa.
    NIB game owners get these concepts mixed up.

However, simply buying a new game and sitting it your house, did not seem to be the premise of your inquiry.

#17 7 years ago

Well,I also was in your position 4 yrs.ago,and I'm going to suggest a nib pin with a theme you really like! Find a pintech guy as close to you as you can,and hit the start button!!

#18 7 years ago

Thanks guys for your advice. This is all really helpful stuff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-a-noob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.